TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:47:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Anniversary Gig  (Read 83644 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »

Would quite like to go but can only use one ticket as my usual companion for these things will be away on holiday.

Make a friend!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »

Would quite like to go but can only use one ticket as my usual companion for these things will be away on holiday.

Make a friend!

I have messaged you both

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »

Tickets sold now Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »

You'll regret that, I reckon

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

You'll regret that, I reckon

I'll regret not being at Cropredy more, but I'm happy with my call.  The Barbican gig was near perfect.  A decent way to sign off (although I had the misfortune of one more hideous gig in Chester the following year to contend with).  And if it's great, which I hope it is, I shall enjoy it from afar....

barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »

Apropos of nothing...there have been occasional mutterings about 'value' and Cropredy. I consider it to be money well spent, and is marvellously good value - that coming form a Yorkshireman. Anyhoo - the reason for this sudden outpouring - we are coming down for the 50th anniversary concert which, being on the saturday of the bank holiday means that, with train tickets, station parking, a hotel stay and food, I reckon it will cost the two of us about the same as it costs for a family of four to go to Cropredy - for three days (sans food, admittedly)!

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
JohnH
Pace some moments

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »

Hi everyone. I have two tickets for the Union Chapel concert, but I now can't go (due to work). If anyone still needs tickets please message me.
Thanks!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »

Just wondering who on TAW is going on Saturday, and whether anyone fancies meeting for a beer or two before the gig? Perhaps we should set up a separate thread in the Arms - for added security?

Flobbadob!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »

I'm going, but unsure about getting there early enough to partake. But in case I can. details please when available.

I concur, maybe for the Arms....

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

There's a "members-only" thread in the Arms...

Flobbadob!
Mr P (David)
n3wb

Loc: Heckmondwike

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »

Still have a spare ticket for Saturday, as my brother in law has to go to a wedding. thanks
PJayBe

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »

Celia and myself will be there.  Getting checked into a distant but cheap Travelodge and then heading in.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »

This from Simon on the Fairporters FB page copied verbatim:

"No doubt that many on here will have heard John Wilson’s interview on Front Row yesterday evening – and in these days of off-air broadcast consumption many more may find time in their lives for it later on. It’s not for me to say (though I will) but I thought he and the programme’s editor did an excellent job of making Peggy and myself sound reasonably articulate, and fired in some appropriate musical clips to leaven the bread.
I’m long over complaining at the media’s distorted focus on the ‘achievements’ of Fairport down the decades, consigning the vast majority of our time in existence to an extended coda to the first four albums, and have come to accept it as a handy hook for them to hang us on. As long as they spell the name right and keep talking about us, it’s fine with me.
But alas, John was labouring under a misconception during our chat last week which was not clear to me and so was unable to clear up for him. Others of you may have also put two and two together and made twenty-two.
Next Saturday’s anniversary gig at the Union Chapel, fifty years to the day from our first show under the name Fairport Convention, was never planned as, nor will it become, the reunion celebration he hinted at: there will be no ‘victory parade’ of ex-members coming and going, recreating as pensioners the line-ups we were in earlier incarnations of the band.
Even if we wanted it to be thus, we wouldn’t have slotted it into the middle of a regular Spring Tour, nor could we have found time to plan and rehearse, let assemble the personnel. That has always been something to aim for on Saturday night in August, on the stage at Cropredy, and we’ll make it happen there.
There may be some extra input from friends of the band at Highbury Corner in a few days, but for those of you planning to be with us, I’d like to thank you as always for putting your dollar down, promise you as good a show as we can manage, and apologise for any conclusions that your yourselves or third parties may have leapt to."

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2017, 11:32:07 AM »

A pity but let's hope there will a couple of special friends.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »

Simon mentions "may be some extra input from friends of the band ...." which he didn't have to at that point, so....

I think he's basically telling us that it won't be a run-through/rehearsal of Saturday night at Cropredy....which I wasn't expecting.

There may be some wondering why they billed *just this gig* as Fairport Convention - 50th Birthday Party which rather gives the clue that it'll be more than simply a run-of-the-mill acoustic gig like the rest on the current spring tour, IMHO.

So, Simon, you may have just started the thought process that you have heard from some of your fans.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

Well, I'm delighted I made the call I did.  Speaking entirely personally, I think the gig was massively misrepresented from the off.

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »

That's disappointing- I'll be miffed if it is a blend of wintour/acoustic shows with little celebratory about it. Factoring in food, travel and accommodation, I reckon I could think of better ways to spend c£200 than a re-run of the show I saw a couple of months ago. Still, I'll reserve judgement until Saturday night...
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

Thommo is gigging in the states the day before so he won't be there - if anyone you might get Ashley and maybe Chris While, I reckon that'll be about it.

DW
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »

This is what was said in the November newsletter:

"In May, we’ve got something really special lined up for you. Fifty years to the day – almost to the hour, in fact – since the band’s Golders Green debut Fairport Convention returns to north London for a Golden Anniversary Gig. This celebration of our past, present and future will take place at The Union Chapel, Highbury N1 on Saturday 27 May 2017. Keep an eye on our website for box office information and details of the musical guests."

I'm still holding out hope!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »

I'm still waiting for the band to ask me to take my (bass) uke...  Wink

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: