TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:04:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Gerry  (Read 3431 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 05:03:20 PM »

It is very touching reading all the tributes to both the musicality of Gerry and his good nature. Can’t link at the moment but Iain Matthews and Dan Ar Braz also posted some nice words

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2024, 05:25:31 AM »

A fond memory of a soft spoken, mild mannered and fabulous musician. R.I.P. Gerry.

* G Conway 8-6-2007 small.jpg (42.14 KB, 627x418 - viewed 668 times.)
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 12:38:03 PM »

I've only just seen the news...so, so sad. RIP Gerry and thanks for all the wonderful music
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 01:05:32 PM »

I only spoke to Gerry once, after a gig in Birmingham, and he was smiley and modest and a good chap.

When I saw FC at the Fleurfest after the coof, up close for the first time in years, I could tell that he was dealing with something.

When he left the band, it wasn't a surprise, but now, knowing what was up, as the rest of the band must have known, I can only say a fond farewell, and wish him a peaceful rest.

I will always remember him playing Let There Be Drums at Croppers, a tune I liked from the Sandy Nelson original and The Bunch.

R.I.P Gerry, and thank you.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 02:33:23 PM »

I only spoke to Gerry once, after a gig in Birmingham, and he was smiley and modest and a good chap.

When I saw FC at the Fleurfest after the coof, up close for the first time in years, I could tell that he was dealing with something.

When he left the band, it wasn't a surprise, but now, knowing what was up, as the rest of the band must have known, I can only say a fond farewell, and wish him a peaceful rest.

I will always remember him playing Let There Be Drums at Croppers, a tune I liked from the Sandy Nelson original and The Bunch.

I think Simon's message on FB expressly stated that they didn't know...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2024, 02:48:17 PM »

I don't do FB anymore, so I didn't see the full thing.
So he kept it to himself, then ?

At a time like that, I guess you can choose to tell your friends and get support from them, or keep it quiet so not to burden them with your issues.

That's pretty brave of him.

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2024, 03:28:23 PM »

At a time like that, I guess you can choose to tell your friends and get support from them, or keep it quiet so not to burden them with your issues.

Here's what Simon wrote:

My dearest drumming pal, someone I first worked alongside in about 1968 on various sessions and toured with in Al Stewart's band way back when, as he looked in those days.
He stepped away from the Fairport's Cropredy Convention Official page stage after the Cropredy festival in 2022, and retired from touring.
None of us knew that he was in the early stages of that pernicious horror Motor Neurone Disease - I didn't know until today, when news of his death filtered out from the protection and privacy he and Jacqui Mcshee sought and deserved.
Wonderfully patient and wise, infuriatingly tardy (!) but always ready and eager to play, and blessed with his own inner calm and solidity, I'm going to miss him more than I can say.
Here's one of my very favourite tracks of the countless number he played on - with Rosko Gee, Stevie Winwood, Jean Roussel and Chris Spedding, all backing another superb drummer chasing the spotlight with a mic - Jim Capaldi.
Love you, you wonder. RIP xxx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJjaA8j-kE...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2024, 05:54:29 PM »

That is beautiful and touching.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2024, 05:57:30 PM »

That is beautiful and touching.

This btw was the fab picture Simon posted

* 434722649_10161533437286354_3314286170371157352_n.jpg (298.8 KB, 1280x1013 - viewed 540 times.)

bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2024, 10:26:11 AM »

Thanks, David.

I agree with Lubi.

I think I have something in my eye.

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2024, 04:09:59 PM »

The word on the street was that he had something else, and this was "confirmed" to me by a music journalist. Fortunately I respected his privacy and didnt do a Kate Middleton.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2024, 06:50:32 PM »

I didn't do one of those either.
I didn't hear the word on the street.
I guessed when he retired the something was the real reason, but he was keeping it private.
I'm surprised that if I noticed, and there was a 'word on the street', that the other guys didn't know, but if that's the case, that's the case,
and it's none of my business to speculate or do a Kate.

Well I never did..
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2024, 11:23:35 AM »

I guessed when he retired the something was the real reason, but he was keeping it private.
I'm surprised that if I noticed, and there was a 'word on the street', that the other guys didn't know, but if that's the case, that's the case,

I hope you didnt think that I was implying that you did any of those. In my roundabout way I was implying that people on here and close to Gerry had behaved very well in comparison to those in a similar situation elsewhere.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2024, 12:12:49 PM »

I hope you didnt think that I was implying that you did any of those. In my roundabout way I was implying that people on here and close to Gerry had behaved very well in comparison to those in a similar situation elsewhere.

Not at all.
I'm agreeing with you about both situations.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2024, 12:34:03 PM »

I think it was clear to most of us who saw Gerry at his last Cropredy that he was struggling (needign help up onto the drum riser), and thus it was no great surprise that he retired from touring and Fairport shortly thereafter.  But I too am glad that there was a lack of uninformed speculation on this forum, merely a concern for him, and that those who had heard 'words on the street' kept them to themselves.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2024, 02:10:04 PM »

Its Sunday morning, and I was just now making coffee while thinking about preparing my twelve string for an approaching gig.  Fotheringay comes to mind (Sandy's Guild on the cover) and then drifts to that video of Too Much of Nothing. Never one of my favorites from the album - it was a revelation live.  "God!" I thought, "Gerry could bring anything to life."  I sit down at the computer for a completely different reason and catch the Fez icon on my browser.  "Hummmm.....Sunday morning, might as well catch up."

Sorry to learn the news so late, Gerry.  I saw you at my first RT show in 1986, where I had not the foggiest notion of what I was about to witness.  You were part of a life changing event that had a rippling effect to many I raved to as a drooling evangelist.  Thank you for the oportunities of sharing pints and chats as our paths crossed onward toward the ledge.....and of course for all the years of the music.  My heart is heavy knowing now of your passing.

I need to return to Cropredy.......
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2024, 04:19:28 PM »

There is a magic about Cropredy....

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2024, 04:24:08 PM »

Its Sunday morning, and I was just now making coffee while thinking about preparing my twelve string for an approaching gig.  Fotheringay comes to mind (Sandy's Guild on the cover) and then drifts to that video of Too Much of Nothing. Never one of my favorites from the album - it was a revelation live.  "God!" I thought, "Gerry could bring anything to life."  I sit down at the computer for a completely different reason and catch the Fez icon on my browser.  "Hummmm.....Sunday morning, might as well catch up."

Sorry to learn the news so late, Gerry.  I saw you at my first RT show in 1986, where I had not the foggiest notion of what I was about to witness.  You were part of a life changing event that had a rippling effect to many I raved to as a drooling evangelist.  Thank you for the opportunities of sharing pints and chats as our paths crossed onward toward the ledge.....and of course for all the years of the music.  My heart is heavy knowing now of your passing.

I need to return to Cropredy.......

Beautiful tribute, Pat.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: