TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2024  (Read 5174 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« on: February 08, 2024, 09:39:31 AM »

Haven't noticed a thread about this year's Wintour, so starting one.

Reports are filtering through on Faceache about the first show in Westcliff On Sea. Apparently Simon has Covid again, poor fellow, so the show went ahead without him. Was anyone there ?

Wishing Mr Nicol a swift return to health and to the tour...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 09:44:04 AM »

Reports are filtering through on Faceache about the first show in Westcliff On Sea. Apparently Simon has Covid again, poor fellow, so the show went ahead without him. Was anyone there ?

Oh no.... Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »

Must be a chance of the rest of them catching it!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 01:11:04 PM »

Must be a chance of the rest of them catching it!

We saw the rehearsal pic only a few days ago...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »

Yes I was there and I thought the first few songs felt lacking somewhat as Peggy admitted to forgetting the words Simon normally sings. The second half was really good and so much more 'together'
Without Simon though the songs and music was 'Chris' centered. DM made it rock. Other than 2 songs it was a pretty good set list. (That DIY song is dire, IMO of course  Wink
This year luckily the drums didn't drown out all the other instruments!
The support act PlumHall were pleasant, she had a beautiful voice on Who knows....

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 11:23:45 PM »

Simon has posted on Facebook saying that he is now clear of COVID and hopes to perform after missing the first 2 gigs.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
richardkendell

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 10:21:37 AM »

All were present in Harpenden last night and the venue was full. I wish Chris played his fiddle more.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 11:04:56 AM »

I wish Chris played his fiddle more.

Don't we all, don't we all - being as talented as he is on it, and in the Fairport context, it's a crime against humanity that he doesn't...

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 08:25:44 PM »

I wish Chris played his fiddle more.

Don't we all, don't we all - being as talented as he is on it, and in the Fairport context, it's a crime against humanity that he doesn't...

Exactly my thought the other night. Chris and Ric used to duet some fab tunes. He was superb on guitar and mando but the fiddle was not even amongst his many instruments sadly.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Bernie

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 01:53:19 AM »

An excellent evening in Liverpool, Saturday at the Tung Auditorium, a new venue for me. Bit of a trek to get there, but a lovely place. Great set list for me, enjoyed every tune/song. A prog rock/heavy metal/psychedelic version of Sloth blew me away......as did Polly.....all in all a cracking night, they were all on form and once again reminded me why I love this band so much!! Love 'em to bits!! Roll on Croppers yay!!
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 08:32:28 AM »

Seconding what Bernie said. The Tung is a lovely venue. Excellent acoustics and the band were great.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2024, 12:06:52 PM »

Seconding what Bernie said. The Tung is a lovely venue. Excellent acoustics and the band were great.

Not a venue I've heard of. I see it's mostly jazz and classical they put on there but Kathryn Tickell is doing an afternoon gig on the 28th of April.

https://thetungauditorium.com/events

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2024, 01:00:53 PM »

Not a venue I've heard of. I see it's mostly jazz and classical they put on there but Kathryn Tickell is doing an afternoon gig on the 28th of April.

https://thetungauditorium.com/events

Fab venue - I saw the Unthanks there in December.  It's very similar in feel to the RNCM in Manchester where Fairport are off to today I think.

David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 07:45:59 AM »

Just seen the lads at RNCM in Manchester and agree what a good venue. As for the band, that is the best I have seen them in years. Very good spread of material including a lovely Hiring Fair. DM gives them real heft (think that’s the word!) and he seems to have renewed their confidence. All on good form so a great evening.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 09:37:23 AM »

Just seen the lads at RNCM in Manchester and agree what a good venue. As for the band, that is the best I have seen them in years. Very good spread of material including a lovely Hiring Fair. DM gives them real heft (think that’s the word!) and he seems to have renewed their confidence. All on good form so a great evening.

Aside from what he adds musically, and also his band intros ("these are the finest musicians in their price range"), DM also adds a bit of validity to the b(r)and given that he's been there since 1969, on and off. Maybe that shouldn't matter - I'm going seeing a band next week with no original members - but when this line-up plays a track from Full House, the majority of the current band were on that album. As Simon said last night, Swarb and Richard couldn't be here tonight for vastly different reasons.

As you said, a good spread of material and at least one track I've never heard them do live before.
DarrenWilliams

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 10:04:13 AM »

Interesting announcement last night was that DM will be touring with RT later this year.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 10:17:37 AM »

Interesting announcement last night was that DM will be touring with RT later this year.

The UK tour?

DarrenWilliams

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 10:24:20 AM »

The UK tour?

It was Peggy who announced it, just stating that he will be touring with Richard later this year. I'm assuming UK.

Can anyone else substantiate this? Did I mishear??
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2024, 11:27:19 AM »

That’s right. Hoping to go to Factory International to see them
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2024, 12:28:39 PM »

The UK tour?

It was Peggy who announced it, just stating that he will be touring with Richard later this year. I'm assuming UK.

Can anyone else substantiate this? Did I mishear??

Interesting...and unexpected.  Decades since he's played with him (Cropredy apart, of course) isn't it?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: