TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:40:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT 2024 UK Tour Dates  (Read 6291 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2024, 01:58:08 PM »

Last November tickets for Tankus the Henge at Bridport's Electric Palace (until recently a regular Wintour venue) were only £12. It was packed to capacity and a fantastic night.

Maybe RT will still play to sold out crowds - but somehow I think he won't with those prices
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2024, 02:01:46 PM »

Last November tickets for Tankus the Henge at Bridport's Electric Palace (until recently a regular Wintour venue) were only £12. It was packed to capacity and a fantastic night.

Maybe RT will still play to sold out crowds - but somehow I think he won't with those prices

Sadly, I suspect they'll sell out.  Plenty of people still have plenty of cash.  It's just that vast quantities also have next to none....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2024, 02:45:52 PM »

I saw Saving Grace in Carmarthen on 16/4/19.  Tickets were £22.50 each.  The world's gone mad...

As you know we were there the same night. I certainly wasn't particularly impressed. Were you?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 04:39:44 PM »

Got a couple of tickets for Stoke as soon as the presale opened. Had a sharp intake of breath at the asking price of £140 for the pair, expected somewhere around £45-50 each based on the last time we saw him and allowing for a bit of inflation but that is at the very limit I'd pay to see anyone. Thankfully it's just down the road for us and travel costs are negligible so that helped justify the spend. To think we used to go to multiple shows on a RT tour, now one is pushing the limits.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2024, 05:27:34 PM »

I saw Saving Grace in Carmarthen on 16/4/19.  Tickets were £22.50 each.  The world's gone mad...

As you know we were there the same night. I certainly wasn't particularly impressed. Were you?

Aye, I adored every second of it (and the other time I saw them)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2024, 10:34:38 AM »

Aye, I adored every second of it (and the other time I saw them)...

Wow. Just goes to show...

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2024, 07:55:04 AM »

Albert Hall booked, at a wallet-shrinking £93 a ticket. I hesitated for a minute, but given a lot of my favourites won’t be around forever, I went for it. It’s on a Saturday, so a good opportunity to meet up with London friends as well
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2024, 09:57:21 AM »

Albert Hall booked, at a wallet-shrinking £93 a ticket.

Absolutely friggin' ridiculous (the price, not you going for it).  The guy used to be a normal bloke...he's taking the p1ss now.

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2024, 10:53:20 AM »

Absolutely friggin' ridiculous (the price, not you going for it).  The guy used to be a normal bloke...he's taking the p1ss now.

Even normal blokes need to pay the bills. All aspects of a tour must be way more expensive, in this current financial climate.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2024, 04:57:51 PM »

Even normal blokes need to pay the bills.

Me too!!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2024, 06:32:27 PM »

Albert Hall booked, at a wallet-shrinking £93 a ticket. I hesitated for a minute, but given a lot of my favourites won’t be around forever, I went for it. It’s on a Saturday, so a good opportunity to meet up with London friends as well

Blimey, if he sells that out he may never need to work again!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2024, 01:31:50 AM »

Yeah sure, he’s obviously lounging around on his yacht in Corfu, and selling his limited edition lithographs for 5K apiece, and hobnobbing with Taylor Swift and Beyonce at a swanky Las Vegas hotel and personally flying in Bono, Jagger, and McCartney for a 90 minute studio session….I think THAT is taking the piss. I don’t pay for large capacity shows often, in part because I prefer the music in more intimate settings these days, but I would plunk down the music for this. To each their own, but Richard has consistently worked bloody hard throughout his career. The singer Jackie Venson had a phenomenal social media post about the economics of touring in a world where almost nobody makes much money on their actual freaking music recordings these days. Richard included I am sure. If you are marginally living between the red and black wouldn’t you push the envelope sometimes?  Rant over, not sorry…but no offense to personal opinion intended!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2024, 12:19:35 PM »

This is what I wrote in the thread about RT's 2023 tour :

"Well, didn't he once say, half in jest, that once he reaches 70 he officially becomes a living legend and can double his fee ?"

"Hasn't Mr Pegg been known to say, again half in jest, that they can only afford him for Cropredy every 5 years ?"

Maybe he's jesting no longer ?  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:32:02 PM by Dan O. » Logged
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2024, 12:56:27 PM »

This cover is really annoying me.  It's like an (is it?) AI image of what RT would look like if he was fisherman.  And yet somehow ends up looking precisely nothing like him.  Has an 'artist' created this or is it literally AI?

Its just a guess, but I suspect he's playing off on a Wes Anderson motif.....
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2024, 01:18:43 PM »

I've just found my first ever RT ticket - Portsmouth Pyramids Centre in 1995, duo tour with Danny T, Christine Collister support.

Don't think he's played Portsmouth since - I've seen him with and without a band many times in Basingstoke, Guildford, Abingdon, London, Brighton, Cropredy, Chesterfield, Chichester, Southampton, but not Portsmouth.

Ticket prices for his return this year are either £57.60 or £72.10

In 1995 - £8.50 ! Even using an online inflation adjuster, in 2024 money that would be roughly £22.10 !
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2024, 08:10:12 PM »

Whatever the circumstances £93 just feels excessive.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2024, 08:40:51 PM »

I've just found my first ever RT ticket - Portsmouth Pyramids Centre in 1995, duo tour with Danny T, Christine Collister support.

Don't think he's played Portsmouth since - I've seen him with and without a band many times in Basingstoke, Guildford, Abingdon, London, Brighton, Cropredy, Chesterfield, Chichester, Southampton, but not Portsmouth.

Ticket prices for his return this year are either £57.60 or £72.10

In 1995 - £8.50 ! Even using an online inflation adjuster, in 2024 money that would be roughly £22.10 !

The Bank of England Inflation Calculator (arguably the most accurate one of these for the UK) shows this to be £16.72 today

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2024, 10:35:08 AM »

Don't know what it costs to hire the Albert Hall, but even so...  Anyone know how much Show of Hands were charging for their party there last year?

Top prices for Fotheringay and Elton John at the RAH in 1970 were 25 shillings, which would be £16.41 in today's money according to the Bank of England inflation calculator (thanks for that, David).  Seems like a bargain to me now!  At the age of 6 it was way out of my price range  Grin (even if I had had any idea who Sandy or Elton was at that age).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 10:47:21 AM by Will S » Logged

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2024, 11:36:00 AM »

Yeah sure, he’s obviously lounging around on his yacht in Corfu, and selling his limited edition lithographs for 5K apiece, and hobnobbing with Taylor Swift and Beyonce at a swanky Las Vegas hotel and personally flying in Bono, Jagger, and McCartney for a 90 minute studio session….I think THAT is taking the piss. I don’t pay for large capacity shows often, in part because I prefer the music in more intimate settings these days, but I would plunk down the music for this. To each their own, but Richard has consistently worked bloody hard throughout his career. The singer Jackie Venson had a phenomenal social media post about the economics of touring in a world where almost nobody makes much money on their actual freaking music recordings these days. Richard included I am sure. If you are marginally living between the red and black wouldn’t you push the envelope sometimes?  Rant over, not sorry…but no offense to personal opinion intended!

Agree. Inflation or not, the industry has changed and is the real cause for the spike.....and I've changed with it.  I have to admit that I haven't bought an RT album in quite some time.  Its just too easy (and permissible) to listen for free.  

Therefore, if I'm fortunate enough to have an opportunity to see him this year, I'll pay the price.  Its my comeuppance for streaming.  I owe the man.

I would make the day long journey to see him in Richmond or Vienna ( pronounced "Vy-anna" ) Virginia, but they're both already sold out! Hopefully a proper southern tour is in the cards down the road.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2024, 11:39:01 AM »

Vienna ( pronounced "Vy-anna" ) Virginia

How?  Why?  I'd have to avoid that on principle... Wink Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: