TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:20:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Oxford Coverage  (Read 3853 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« on: August 12, 2023, 08:47:28 PM »

Lovely to hear Gilbert O' Sullivan, live, with Alone Again Naturally and Matrimony. Oh and Get Down... He sounds very good!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 08:53:26 PM »

Lovely of Radio Oxforcesterceshire to kick off with a glitch.

The Dude abides
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 09:20:43 PM »

Lovely to hear Gilbert O' Sullivan, live, with Alone Again Naturally and Matrimony. Oh and Get Down... He sounds very good!
He was, and the audience loved him. Lots of “oo I’d forgotten this one!” moments.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 09:40:13 PM »

Sound drop outs worse than ever this year. Apart from last year when it dropped out once and never came back.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 09:45:17 PM »

Sound drop outs worse than ever this year. Apart from last year when it dropped out once and never came back.

The boys are sounding great, Chris's voice sounds better than ever.  We can live with a few glitches to still feel like a part of it.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 09:52:38 PM »

So far this is the exact same set in the same order as Monday night's warm up at Hook Norton.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 10:39:36 PM »

So far this is the exact same set in the same order as Monday night's warm up at Hook Norton.

Maybe that was the 'dress rehearsal " type of thing.  I am loving all the guests. Great songs, really enjoying it.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 10:53:01 PM »

Maybe that was the 'dress rehearsal " type of thing.  I am loving all the guests. Great songs, really enjoying it.

Yes, I think some of the guests were there on Tuesday but Monday was just the Fairport's. Would love to have seen Vikki again after all these years. Ben and Hannah are lovely. Wasn't Reynardine great?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 12:02:01 AM »

Sounded great ...flippin DJ cut in before we had chance to hear whether Simon said ‘same time next year’   Wink

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 12:07:09 AM »

Maybe Its the not being on the field, or maybe it's the Radio coverage, perhaps it was the lack of a lead guitar, perhaps it's the band still foisting Banjo Matty on us, but I thought it was dull, and that's the same reason I decided after 2017 that i'd had enough of going to Cropredy.
I hope everyone else loved it.
Safe home to all my pals who are there

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 12:23:02 AM »

Maybe Its the not being on the field, or maybe it's the Radio coverage, perhaps it was the lack of a lead guitar, perhaps it's the band still foisting Banjo Matty on us, but I thought it was dull, and that's the same reason I decided after 2017 that i'd had enough of going to Cropredy.

I do get where you are coming from Jim. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the warm up on Monday but the set is not special in the way it used to be. Guests apart it is an extended version of the Wintour set. Dull is probably too strong but certainly unadventurous.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 12:42:43 AM »

Was the warm-up on Radio Oxford, too, or did you go to it Al?

I see what you mean, too, Jim. But there is a sort of can’t win situation I guess, because there are certain songs which are part of the Cropredy tradition so if they didn’t do them it would disappoint, whereas other people feel it makes things samey.

Also enjoying the rest of the show, interviews and performance highlights now. We are not done with it and would still like to return, if ever possible, despite it being a 12 hour drive these days.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 12:55:14 AM »

They've done that bloody banjo Matty since they nicked it off the Sandy memorial tour from years ago.  It used to change regularly but they are far too predictable now. Shane Kirk on Fb said they should have chucked in "The Weight" as a tribute to Robbie Robertson, but that would have required a degree of spontaneity they no longer possess.

The Dude abides
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 01:10:09 AM »

Totally agree, they've been doing Banjo Matty for 11 years now. Time to change the instrument. 18 verses and only 2 chords, wasn't a problem previously...

It was a fairly predictable set this evening, however, I've heard (and have been present for) far worse Cropredy Saturday nights.

Much as I'm fond of GC, the presence of DM has given them a bit of a kick up the proverbial.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 01:27:03 AM »

I do get where you are coming from Jim. I enjoyed it and I enjoyed the warm up on Monday but the set is not special in the way it used to be. Guests apart it is an extended version of the Wintour set. Dull is probably too strong but certainly unadventurous.

In your opinion that is.  Wink

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2023, 01:38:13 AM »

I see what you mean, too, Jim. But there is a sort of can’t win situation I guess, because there are certain songs which are part of the Cropredy tradition so if they didn’t do them it would disappoint, whereas other people feel it makes things samey. Grin

Also enjoying the rest of the show, interviews and performance highlights now. We are not done with it and would still like to return, if ever possible, despite it being a 12 hour drive these days.

I went Lorna. A 24 hour escape from my usual humdrum existence.  Grin

Had a brief chat with Simon who was and looked very tired. He has obviously perked up since then.
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2023, 07:23:12 AM »

I thought it was just me not being in the mood for it after a 12 hour shift, but yeah, I thought it was dull too.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2023, 08:26:21 AM »

I see what you mean, too, Jim. But there is a sort of can’t win situation I guess, because there are certain songs which are part of the Cropredy tradition so if they didn’t do them it would disappoint, whereas other people feel it makes things samey. Grin

Had a brief chat with Simon who was and looked very tired. He has obviously perked up since then.

That’s good! Yes, Simon sounded great last night, I thought. Funny how different people have perceived their performance, because I felt ( just listening on the radio) it was one of the best in recent years.

Is it second week in August, as usual, next year? So 8-10th? They confirmed it was going to be on but didn’t say the dates on the radio.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2023, 08:34:16 AM »

That’s good! Yes, Simon sounded great last night, I thought. Funny how different people have perceived their performance, because I felt ( just listening on the radio) it was one of the best in recent years.

Is it second week in August, as usual, next year? So 8-10th? They confirmed it was going to be on but didn’t say the dates on the radio.
the dates came up on the onfield screen after Fairports set

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2023, 09:13:22 AM »

Which we couldn’t see on the radio  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: