TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2023 Saturday Review  (Read 4726 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« on: August 12, 2023, 07:48:21 PM »

Pls post your reviews here! —->  Cool

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Wandering Steve

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 07:58:42 AM »

Thought all the bands were a bit average to be honest.
GOS sent me to sleep.
FC seemed on very good form and I gave their performance a 8.5/10.
Enjoyed hearing Vici Clayton sing Sandy songs (wish she’d have sung (WWWTTG) and was also impressed by AH.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »

Highlight for me was Ashley Hutchings and a convened Albion Band!!!   Wink Wink
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 11:28:14 AM »

Tell me about this...who, and what did they play?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 11:41:33 AM »

Tell me about this...who, and what did they play?

'Wings'. It wasn't as exciting as it sounds - just Ashley, a female vocalist whose name I've forgotten (but I don't think she was in the Albions) and Fairport.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 11:47:36 AM »

Yes, but all ex Albions with the exception of Becky Mills. That's how I like to think of it anyway - if it's all the same to you!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 12:16:58 PM »

While I'm generally "on the same page" as Beans on Toast on many topics, and I enjoyed his songs, I thought the sweariness rather tiresome, particularly given the audience... Lots of kids about.

Solstice, I'm sad to say, left me cold.

Young 'Uns - great stuff, really enjoyed their set.

Gilbert - fine songwriter, but a bit meh imo.

FC on fine form; just occasionally, the Saturday set has dragged a little with guests coming on and off, but last night seemed to zoom by.

Flobbadob!
Sue & Chris

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 12:49:43 PM »

Enjoyed Morganway, Beans on Toast and Young Uns.

Solstice have certainly got the weird 70s cult thing down pat, but the music left me cold.

Digance was Digance, although I must say the song about lost loved ones was very moving and struck a chord with our group.

Quite enjoyed Gilbert O'Sullivan's set, especially the run of hits at the end. His Jerry Lee Lewis moment at the end raised a smile as well!

Fairport started and ended strongly, but there were too many slow/medium paced numbers in the middle and I got a bit bored.

And can we talk about 'Sloth'? Obviously Fairport know more than me about their own music, but I always thought the middle instrumental section had some structure to it. As opposed to the rather messy improvisation that we got. Peggy's solo started as if he'd just woken up, and Ric honking into his fiddle at the end as he collapsed to the floor with a puzzled look on his face was...well, a bit embarrassing.

Obviously other views are available and maybe I just missed the point. I'd be interested to hear what others thought.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 01:01:47 PM by Sue & Chris » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 01:19:51 PM »

Solstice have certainly got the weird 70s cult thing down pat, but the music left me cold.

Digance was Digance, although I must say the song about lost loved ones was very moving and struck a chord with our group.

Quite enjoyed Gilbert O'Sullivan's set, especially the run of hits at the end. His Jerry Lee Lewis moment at the end raised a smile as well!

Fairport started and ended strongly, but there were too many slow/medium paced numbers in the middle and I got a bit bored.

And can we talk about 'Sloth'? Obviously Fairport know more than me about their own music, but I always thought the middle instrumental section had some structure to it. As opposed to the rather messy improvisation that we got. Peggy's solo started as if he'd just woken up, and Ric honking into his fiddle at the end as he collapsed to the floor with a puzzled look on his face was...well, a bit embarrassing.

Obviously other views are available and maybe I just missed the point. I'd be interested to hear what others thought.

For me, the whole point of Sloth is as a place for improvisational guitar/bass/fiddle soloing.  The best versions (i.e. those featuring both Richard and Jerry) are sublime things, but it can miss as much as hit and, for me, not having Richard or Jerry there means it couldn't help but drag a bit.  I'll repeat that Fairport need a fiddle player (not a violinist) to replace Swarb until my dying days... Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 01:26:12 PM »

For me, the whole point of Sloth is as a place for improvisational guitar/bass/fiddle soloing.  The best versions (i.e. those featuring both Richard and Jerry) are sublime things, but it can miss as much as hit and, for me, not having Richard or Jerry there means it couldn't help but drag a bit.  I'll repeat that Fairport need a fiddle player (not a violinist) to replace Swarb until my dying days... Wink

One might argue that they have got a fiddle player, it's just that he rarely plays the fiddle!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 02:03:19 PM »

One might argue that they have got a fiddle player, it's just that he rarely plays the fiddle!

Oh yes, indeed...as those who were there in '92 (or have heard the 25th anniversary set) know only too well.

iandiddams

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 07:05:10 PM »

I'll repeat that Fairport need a fiddle player (not a violinist) to replace Swarb until my dying days... Wink

could be that MH had to leave and gig elsewhere for Saturday night of course, but there was at the festival

1) a pretty useful fiddle player
2) a Swarbrick

interestingly both the same person...

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 07:13:47 PM »

I'll repeat that Fairport need a fiddle player (not a violinist) to replace Swarb until my dying days... Wink

could be that MH had to leave and gig elsewhere for Saturday night of course, but there was at the festival

1) a pretty useful fiddle player
2) a Swarbrick

interestingly both the same person...

Some of them stayed over!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
iandiddams

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 07:16:14 PM »

Some of them stayed over!

aye - wife had a brief chat with Virginia as they were prasing each other's clothing, and i passed them at the bar whilst they were discussing what to drink next (Friday night)

didds
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »

There were some outstanding performances on Saturday in what was my most enjoyable Cropredy for a long time. Beans on Toast was fabulous, The Young Uns have in Sean Cooney one of the outstanding British songwriters. And it's not just the songs it's the way he follows them up with the subjects.Sean and Bob Kettle at  the same festival. Wow. Then we come to Morganway. One of the most outstanding vocal performances I have seen at the festival. I hope we see them again very soon.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2023, 07:50:29 PM »

Oh yes, indeed...as those who were there in '92 (or have heard the 25th anniversary set) know only too well.
I am full of superlatives today but that was one the greatest musical feats I have ever seen

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »

Digance was ok, I loved how everyone had hankies ready! I fitting start to the day.
Loved Morganway & will definitely go and see them again. Superb vocals and songs, bags of personality.  Bought their back catalogue on the spot and listened to it all the way home!
I liked Beans on Toast, I knew he would be political so was expecting that, but I didn’t appreciate his constant reference to and promotion of drugs. I left after a few songs and had a shower, which was appreciated by those around me  Roll Eyes
Solstice were ok, more or less what I was expecting. I’m glad I’ve seen them & enjoyed the set, but not bothered if I don’t see them again.
Absolutely blown away by The Young ‘Uns. Beautiful harmonies, relevant and heartfelt stories behind each song, had a tear in my eye more than once. Will definitely go to see them again next time they’re in South Wales.
Enjoyed GOS and was amazed how many songs I remembered. I bought his best of (The Berry Vest of GOS) a few years ago so might dig it out and listen to it again.
For reasons I won’t go into here I didn’t see any of FC’s set but they sounded ok.

All in all, an excellent weekend of music which I thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you Fairport for another fab weekend. Can’t wait for next year!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
iandiddams

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2023, 06:32:52 AM »

The overwhelming thought I had about beans on toast wasn’t the swearing, or drug references ( one song out of a whole set, compared to a huge back catalogue by the Beatles Wink ), but his family… two songs about his daughter, a live call out to his dad, and his Nan. Clear love for his family. Top bloke.
iandiddams

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »

Overall I really enjoyed the lineup over the weekend - the sum of its parts etc. :-) I dunno whether I've "changed" of late however, as i found the line up - personally - either fantastic or "whatever" - very little middle ground...  but I do hasten to add it is a case opf each to their own as we cant all like everything etc...

So keeping to the thread :-)

Various engagements (chiefly the graveyard...) didnt see me onto the field until 1450 for Beans on Toast - to find he had somehow already started. It seems (garnered from FB groups here) that the Saturday schedule had been changed over night and had been announced by AJ and was on the screens...  which was fine I guess IF you were on the field already ... ;-) Nothing mentioned at all in the various FB groups so its all a bit confusing.

Anyway BoT had litrally only just started so we dashed down the front.

BoT - absoluetly fantastic.  My "really looing forward to and absolutely nailed it" performance foir the weekend. There's been long threads/diatrbbes about his set elsewhere so I'll just say he worked for me, but can see its not to everybody's tastes. Moving swiftly on (except to reiterate the overwhelming message i got from his set was his love for his family, not drug references...)
Solstice - ended up being a "whatever" band. The sound levels seemed really high, and high end. It somewhat screechy at the back of the field (I know others milegae varies - that's fine :-) ) so i pretty much tuned out.
Young 'Uns - another "whatever" band. Very good at what they do - and the irony here beign they provided the harmonies that FF hadnt for me. They just didnt work for me. Whatever.
GO'S - probably my biggest disaapointment of the weekend really. I'd hoped for more. Contrary to Solstice the sound levels seemed very low, and the set didnt seem to work for a huge field. I'd imagine in a hall  
( 300 or so crowd)  he'd probably be great.
FC - nuff sed. Excellent as ever. So "on it". I've seen comments about with excellent female voices available why not use them for WKWTTG...  i won't disagree with that sentiment, other to to say its clearly what SN does now and thats it.  Dave Mattocks on drums was great - was Gerry even mentioned during the set as a nod to his previous short presence of only 24 years?

Finally a word about AJ - was it me, or did he seem to have less chat this year?

Job done. Great weekend.

See y'all next year!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 10:55:14 AM by iandiddams » Logged
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »

There were some outstanding performances on Saturday in what was my most enjoyable Cropredy for a long time. Beans on Toast was fabulous, The Young Uns have in Sean Cooney one of the outstanding British songwriters. And it's not just the songs it's the way he follows them up with the subjects.Sean and Bob Kettle at  the same festival. Wow. Then we come to Morganway. One of the most outstanding vocal performances I have seen at the festival. I hope we see them again very soon.

I agree 100% with all of this!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: