TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:00:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2023 Thursday review  (Read 6979 times)
Wandering Steve

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2023, 05:03:42 PM »

It does seem fantastically naïve to suggest that if Merry Hell cut out the politics there would be time for more songs. If they cut out the politics there would not be any songs and more power to them say I.

In that case I’d rather they attend political rally’s and sing a few songs rather than attend festivals and bore me with politics  Wink
Sue & Chris

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2023, 05:35:02 PM »

It does seem fantastically naïve to suggest that if Merry Hell cut out the politics there would be time for more songs. If they cut out the politics there would not be any songs and more power to them say I.

In that case I’d rather they attend political rally’s and sing a few songs rather than attend festivals and bore me with politics  Wink

Out of interest, what were the political songs in the set that you object to? From memory, the only vaguely political number was the one about Greta Thunberg, and that was more about the global climate emergency.

Unless you think songs promoting community and solidarity, or condemning hatred are political? Surely we can all agree with those sentiments, whatever our political persuasion?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2023, 05:37:10 PM »

Out of interest, what were the political songs in the set that you object to? From memory, the only vaguely political number was the one about Greta Thunberg, and that was more about the global climate emergency.

Unless you think songs promoting community and solidarity, or condemning hatred are political? Surely we can all agree with those sentiments, whatever our political persuasion?
I wish I'd said that. Excellent.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chipton Blake

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2023, 06:10:03 PM »

Enjoyed Fairport Acoustic - good energy to get things started.

Merry Hell surprised me. I've seen them before and I thought the vocals might be a bit exposed on the Cropredy stage. But I was wrong, they were very good in all departments.  As for the politics, well, politics in its broadest sense has been part of music since the first performer picked up an instrument, so it seems a bit unfair to single them out!

Wilson & Wakeman were okay, a bit of a luvvie overdose.  Wilson's wander round the field was fun.

Toyah and Fripp are basically a posh covers band, but they were damn good at it! Very entertaining, amazing band.

Also enjoyed Nile Rogers - so many hits and delivered with real verve. The brown haired singer was brilliant.

This weekend must also have smashed the record for the most Bowie songs at Cropredy - five on Thursday and at least the same number on Friday from the Easy Stars.

Agree about the Bowie songs. Wore a cryptic Bowie T shirt on Friday for ESA what was the 5th Bowie song? Heroes, Fashion, Let’s Dance, Modern Love?
Sue & Chris

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2023, 06:33:21 PM »

Enjoyed Fairport Acoustic - good energy to get things started.

Merry Hell surprised me. I've seen them before and I thought the vocals might be a bit exposed on the Cropredy stage. But I was wrong, they were very good in all departments.  As for the politics, well, politics in its broadest sense has been part of music since the first performer picked up an instrument, so it seems a bit unfair to single them out!

Wilson & Wakeman were okay, a bit of a luvvie overdose.  Wilson's wander round the field was fun.

Toyah and Fripp are basically a posh covers band, but they were damn good at it! Very entertaining, amazing band.

Also enjoyed Nile Rogers - so many hits and delivered with real verve. The brown haired singer was brilliant.

This weekend must also have smashed the record for the most Bowie songs at Cropredy - five on Thursday and at least the same number on Friday from the Easy Stars.

Agree about the Bowie songs. Wore a cryptic Bowie T shirt on Friday for ESA what was the 5th Bowie song? Heroes, Fashion, Let’s Dance, Modern Love?

Wilson & Wakeman did Life on Mars.
iandiddams

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2023, 06:51:49 PM »

People turn up to hear them play.

well, some of us turn up to hear them play AND hear their message.

Just sayin'
iandiddams

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 06:53:42 PM »

Although I did love Merry Hell, the one thing that does grate on me is the jingo politics.

Well, if you d'dnt like MH you'll have hated Beans on Toast!!  

LOL!
PS I screwed up the quoting blocks so apologies for not attributing the quote etc .
iandiddams

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2023, 06:54:25 PM »

the last time the Levellers played Cropredy they didn't get their point across they sent us all to sleep.

This.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2023, 09:47:27 PM »

I really liked the MH songs, but the vocals seemed way too forced and shouty for me. It might just be where I was sitting (left of the sound tower) as they seemed much better later on near the back when I popped to the loo.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2023, 09:51:04 PM »

MH just weren’t really for me as a band even though they were decent musicians.
Gave me the chance to check out some stalls which was nice.
That’s the one thing about cropredy , there is something for everyone.
If you’re not keen on one band then chances are you’ll like the next.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2023, 07:52:12 AM »

Fairport Acoustic - good start to the festival. No surprises, but a solid set.
Merry Hell - first time I've seen them. I thought they were great.
Wilson and Wakeman. Very talented musicians, nice voice, but the set was a tad boring.
Toyah and Fripp - Good fun, basically what I was expecting.
Chic - The musicianship was excellent, but I'm not a fan of that kind of music. Nile Rodgers dropped so many names it's a wonder the band didn't trip over them

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2023, 07:54:48 AM »

Not a review but just to say I was looking to see if there were any photos or videos out there and found  some super photos from the Thursday, on the Banbury Guardian website. Lovely pics of Toyah, Chic etc...and most if not all the acts. Also a couple of crowd pics so you may see yourself if you were at the front.

iandiddams

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2023, 08:57:26 AM »

Overall I really enjoyed the lineup over the weekend - the sum of its parts etc. :-) I dunno whether I've "changed" of late however, as i found the line up - personally - either fantastic or "whatever" - very little middle ground...  but I do hasten to add it is a case opf each to their own as we cant all like everything etc...

So keeping to the thread :-)

* FC Acoustic:  good as ever. I really enjoy the laid back mini set.
*Merry Hell - my "i came knowing what to expect and i wasnt let down" band of the weekend. Cracking - but Im a solid fan anyway. Victoria needs a new joke to introduce "Violet".  I saw them just a couple of weeks ago at Trowbridge Festival, and (new to me) they also appeared on the card in a stripped down version of the band as "Virginia kettle's rolling Folk" so if you nlike MH, there's anopther chance to hear similar stuff, maybe less politically inclined for those that are oiffended by such notions.
*Wilson & Wakeman - slightly better than "whatever" being fair to them but I was also sitting down now at the back of the field after jigging about as best i can with two replcement hips to MH down thre front beforehand. I never thought id hear a Les Mis/MT number at Cropredy! I'd definitely and happily hear them again another time/elsewhere etc.
*Toyah and Robert Fripp - even at the back of the field they were hugely engaging (understatement). I did end up down the front in time for Kashmir, which was amazing. I saw elsewhere - meant positively! - that they were a "posh covers band" ...  it made me laugh though its true (well.,..  "posh" ? :-) ) but they really were engaing and fun. I will deffo be looking out for their Sunday Lunch sessions now.
* NIle Rogers & Chic - I had initially thought this would be my time to exit the field - I didnt "do" chic in the 70s and I still dont do them, but a chum had convinced me to give them a go based on a recent set list .  As it was I had a bit of a medical/physical episode (I was sober!) as they started and I had to painfully return to the van, so missed it anyway but they (understandably of course) opened with their 1970s hits that i didnt like then and dont like now, so it may not have made a lot of difference :-)

Top first day. Thank goodness for codeine in the end...
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »

FC Acoustic gave a good start to the weekend for me.
Merry Hell were fine - I enjoyed seeing them on the main stage and they worked well up there for me.
I'm a big fan of Wilson & Wakeman, though the walk around the crowd could have been a little curtailed probably!  It was fun to see Damian being carried away by the 'catchers' after his stage dive.
I wasn't too sure what I'd think about Toyah and Fripp, but I really enjoyed them.
Chic on the other hand... As some have said, he was a bit too full of himself and his awards, and the music was not my favourite style.  And really, having him on just after Toyah and Fripp meant we ended up with two groups doing much the same thing (playing other people's songs - even if they were largely ones they had had some involvement with).

It was good to meet up with lots of folks at the Cricket Club beforehand as well.  Is someone going to post the group photo somewhere?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2023, 07:45:33 PM »

Apologies if you've already picked this up, but Mr & Mrs Fripp have uploaded a brief "flavour of Cropredy" video to their YouTube channel.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 11:22:50 PM »

Apologies if you've already picked this up, but Mr & Mrs Fripp have uploaded a brief "flavour of Cropredy" video to their YouTube channel.

Thanks for pointing that out - well worth the watch! Interesting to see the backstage area - that is some impressive shade thrown on poor Toyah by whoever labels up the portacabins!

I think they enjoyed it - it's a little hard to tell what is meant to be sincere and what is tongue in cheek...
iandiddams

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2023, 10:59:24 AM »

have you a link ?  ive looked ghere but cant see anythinmg "obvious" ?

https://www.youtube.com/@Toyah/videos
Sue & Chris

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 11:19:15 AM »

have you a link ?  ive looked ghere but cant see anythinmg "obvious" ?

https://www.youtube.com/@Toyah/videos

https://youtu.be/UuS_LcS_yds
iandiddams

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »

cheers!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2023, 02:45:53 PM »

People turn up to hear them play.

well, some of us turn up to hear them play AND hear their message.

Just sayin'

Ditto. MH have never shied away from the message behind their songs and more power to them for that. As has been said by others folk music always has had, and always should have, a message.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: