TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convention Fringe 2023  (Read 5679 times)
iandiddams

« on: May 31, 2023, 10:11:26 AM »

Can't recall where i saw it last year (here? one of the 8 billion FB groups?  can't recall!) but somebody kindly knocked up a spreadsheet/document of the FRINGE acts happening throughout the weekend.

Anybody know of anything similar, or where the fringe venues may have their own lineups to cobble one together?

Appreciating the Brasenose is now not a drop-in venue (needing tickets IIRC?)

ta!

didds
Andy Leonard

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 03:43:27 PM »

This is the Brasenose website and there’s also a Facebook link on the events page. https://www.thebrasenose.co.uk/events-1

I hope that helps.

iandiddams

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 04:12:07 PM »

thanks andy for the pointer.  

As it is I'm not coughing twenty quid to see maybe at most two bands in a day there, so I'll stay on the field instead then.

but cheers for your help of course Cheesy

kenhughes

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 05:31:40 PM »

As it is I'm not coughing twenty quid to see maybe at most two bands in a day there, so I'll stay on the field instead then.

It is normally John Basevi on the Fairporters Facebook page. Not sure he is very enamoured about the draconian measures at the Brase, so not sure whether he is bothering.

Last year someone also did it through the Clashfinder web site.
Andy Leonard

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »

My pleasure.

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 10:36:07 PM »

Cream of the Crop have a full festival fringe. All with a festival wristband are welcome. Seen some great acts down there.

Scott Doonican , Ian Mathews, Haze, Folklaw to name but a few. The Red Lion has a fringe too.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 07:03:19 AM »

I believe a festival wristband gets access to the Brasenose  with no additional charge, but I may be wrong.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »

I believe a festival wristband gets access to the Brasenose  with no additional charge, but I may be wrong.
Depending on numbers inside, but how they police that I have no idea.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
iandiddams

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 08:08:17 AM »

Depending on numbers inside, but how they police that I have no idea.

Quite.

Eg  100 tickets and 200 capacity.

They sell 100 tickets.

200 wristbands are first in the queue.

All those ticket holders are just going to say "oh well, fair enough then" obviously...
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »

I think the misnomer here is the word’fringe’.
There used to be fringe events , over many years, at the Lion and the Brase. Free.
This year the Brase seems like a completely seperate , ticketed, fest, in its own right, that just happens to be on at the same time. As I understand it, after scouring websites, ticket holders for the Brase  will take precedence over Fairport Fest wristbands. So that old stand by,‘there’s nothing on the field I want to see at pres, I’ll just nip down the Brase ‘, may no longer be a viable alternative. Parking will be interesting with a effectively a seperate audience attending the Brase.some great acts on there too. Will be interesting to see how it works.
LauraPountney

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »

This was posted on the Brasenose Fringe Facebook.

Fairport's Cropredy Convention has a parking order in place throughout the village. This means that if you park your vehicle on coned roads, then you could be towed away and face substantial recovery fees.

Some people park on the verges of the Great Bourton road and walk into the village.

We will be posting the Bus Timetable in due course.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 12:03:09 AM »

Fairport's Cropredy Convention has a parking order in place throughout the village. This means that if you park your vehicle on coned roads, then you could be towed away and face substantial recovery fees.

Some people park on the verges of the Great Bourton road and walk into the village.

A tad tangential, that comment.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
iandiddams

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 12:04:20 PM »

I think the misnomer here is the word’fringe’.

And that's a fair enough point. The Brasenose has moved on.
LauraPountney

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 03:43:54 PM »

A tad tangential, that comment.

I was responding to the post before which mentioned parking, didn’t do it properly though so it was a bit confusing sorry
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 08:40:48 AM »

Apologies if I am teaching my granny but…
In my recently arrived copy of R n R magazine , ‘ The Brasenose Fringe’ , is advertised , in a quarter page ad, as a completely seperate event,  ticket prices etc etc, including that if you want to see Trad Arr it’s a seperate ticket. No mention at all of what they are fringe to!
It’s a really good small fest line up, great to see Vikki Clayton on the bill and if I can suggest you see some friends of mine, the lovely Tukay and Ryan. As has been said it will be interesting as to where people park for what is really a small, stand alone , fest but effectively pulling the same numbers as something like New Forest Folk Fest.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2023, 09:02:29 PM »

Sorry, but I can’t help thinking that if The Brasenose want to distance themselves from the main festival, maybe they should choose a different weekend on which to hold it.
There is a vast difference between symbiotic and parasitic.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2023, 10:50:36 PM »

Sorry, but I can’t help thinking that if The Brasenose want to distance themselves from the main festival, maybe they should choose a different weekend on which to hold it.

I think they have to make money somehow and that weekend has the most people in Cropredy than at any other time. It's probably all that keeps the pub financially afloat.

It's not compulsory to go there, so we don't (except from TRADarrr which is separate),

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2023, 12:46:02 AM »

I think they have to make money somehow and that weekend has the most people in Cropredy than at any other time. It's probably all that keeps the pub financially afloat.

It's not compulsory to go there, so we don't (except from TRADarrr which is separate),

Putting on my solicitor's hat (my day job), I suspect the Brasenose is avoiding legal entanglements by advertising their Fringe Festival without overt reference to the big festival happening down the lane.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 07:10:11 AM »

The dictionary definition of a fringe festival is an arts festival featuring alternative or experimental performances!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
iandiddams

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2023, 08:08:17 AM »

Though that would suggest its premised on cropredy festival goers then also buying a Brasenose ticket as well - ie using the already visiting masses.  Its a potentially limited demographic that may choose to spend more to see bands that weekend. Though I dont doubt Andy's perception.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: