TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:10:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Five 'Squared' Seasons  (Read 18717 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »

A little off-topic, but I was in Fopp in Cambridge recently, and noticed that XXXV and From Cropredy to Portmeirion have been released on vinyl. Talk about niche market!

XXXV I could maybe see a small pressing of but From Cropredy.... Niche market indeed!

From Cropredy etc is essential to all Fairport Collections. I'm on it. Well.....I was in the audience. My second F.C concert, the first of three that year. The third of them being my first Cropredy, so an expanded version of that featuring the whole gig would be nice.  

It may be a niche market, but I'm sure my nephuche would like a copy too.

Niches and nephuches, you must dote on them.

The Dude abides
Godzee

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

God help us all.
No
Stop this madness now

Mr Jim, you are welcome to your opinions, but I think this thread has really proven there could be interest in such a product as I was recommending. I Definitely want to take this a bit further and very pleased to have received so many positive responses - and especially a very exciting private message concerning this project! I intend to get in touch with the 'powers that be' regarding taking the 5CD set forward. I for one would love to hear a version of 'The Wounded Whale' remixed in 5.1 surround sound - any one else?!

Regarding the tour, I appreciate Fairport's winter tour 2015 could be taken up with their new Album, so I suggest a 'Five Seasons' as the centrepiece set at Cropredy 2015 with the original 1990 line-up. But perhaps if the box set sold well a tour of the 1990 line up (Simon, Dave Pegg, Ric, Maart and DM) could happen later in the year - as a separate Fairport 'offering' to the winter tour? Five Seasons in Five Cities anyone?!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »

but I think this thread has really proven there could be interest in such a product as I was recommending.

Hmmm, well, that's one interpretation of the discussion, I suppose...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »

God help us all.
No
Stop this madness now

Mr Jim, you are welcome to your opinions, but I think this thread has really proven there could be interest in such a product as I was recommending. I Definitely want to take this a bit further and very pleased to have received so many positive responses - and especially a very exciting private message concerning this project! I intend to get in touch with the 'powers that be' regarding taking the 5CD set forward. I for one would love to hear a version of 'The Wounded Whale' remixed in 5.1 surround sound - any one else?!

Regarding the tour, I appreciate Fairport's winter tour 2015 could be taken up with their new Album, so I suggest a 'Five Seasons' as the centrepiece set at Cropredy 2015 with the original 1990 line-up. But perhaps if the box set sold well a tour of the 1990 line up (Simon, Dave Pegg, Ric, Maart and DM) could happen later in the year - as a separate Fairport 'offering' to the winter tour? Five Seasons in Five Cities anyone?!

Timothy,good luck to you sir in your quest to fill this most niche of markets, i won't hold my breath waiting if you dont mind.
I just had a quick count through and i see 3,possibly 4, people expressing an interest in this venture.
The pm must be a doozie!

The Dude abides
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:10 AM »

God help us all.
No
Stop this madness now

Don't wish to sound disrespectful, but it would be difficult to perform The Card Song as several of the characters are no longer with us.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03:19 AM »

Interesting look back at 2015 as a year of album anniversaries though:

Jewel in the Crown 20 years
Glady's Leap 30 years
Rising for the Moon 40 years
Full House 45 years

Five Seasons would seem to me to be the least important of the "anniversary" albums to showcase next year.

Now, getting Thea Gilmore or Chris or Kellie While in with the chaps to do a full run of Rising for the Moon on tour would really be worth seeing.

DW
Godzee

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »

Interesting look back at 2015 as a year of album anniversaries though:

Jewel in the Crown 20 years
Glady's Leap 30 years
Rising for the Moon 40 years
Full House 45 years

Five Seasons would seem to me to be the least important of the "anniversary" albums to showcase next year.

Now, getting Thea Gilmore or Chris or Kellie While in with the chaps to do a full run of Rising for the Moon on tour would really be worth seeing.

DW

Think you're missing the point somewhat though - 5 squared (5 x 5) is 25 !
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »

Ok, inspired by this thread, have given The Five Seasons a listen for the first time in ages and was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable it was. Competent, well-played, easy to listen to ? Yes. A couple of songs the current FC lineup should revive ? Yes - indeed they already have Claudy Banks and Mock Morris '90 in their repertoire, Ginnie and The Wounded Whale would be nice. A couple of fillers ? Yes.

But worthy of a deluxe anniversary 5-cd boxset and Cropredy showcase ? No, it's fine just as it is, a statement of how the Maart-era lineup sounded at the time ; they'd be even better on The Jewel In The Crown a few years later. There are plenty of FC albums more worthy of such treatment...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »

they'd be even better on The Jewel In The Crown a few years later.

Definitely my favourite post-70's FC album.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »

they'd be even better on The Jewel In The Crown a few years later.

Definitely my favourite post-70's FC album.

I was hugely disappointed by it at the time and remain. So. Some good tracks but lots of filler. Prefer the albums either side and not too much since.
arie

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »

I would like to get my vote in and want to plead for the full treatment of FC "Nine"
As it was released in 1973 I expect this super set in 2054.
I"ll appreciate a promo copy well in advance, as I'll be 101 at that time and probably deaf or worse.

vriendelijke groeten
Arie
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

2054 suits me down to ground, as i fully expect to be 6 feet below the ground then.
   However if i am spared/have found the secret of eternal life/the fountain of youth then i sincerely hope my carers/warders/guards/henchmen get me a copy.

The Dude abides
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »

Love "the Five Seasons. I would be my favorite FC record if they hadn't released "Jewel in the Crown." I listen to both all the time.
Godzee

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2024, 02:47:40 PM »

@Koho,

Having seen your exciting post about your launch of Radz Records, I was wondering whether this concept might be of interest for your CDs? Sadly we've missed the 25th anniversary, but alas the 35th is around the corner and I think this would be a great way to celebrate this wonderful record. When I look at what Pink Floyd have done with some of their box-sets, I think there is a massive untapped potential here.

Particularly with DM back in the band now, surely the first half of winter tour shows next year should be The Five Seasons, performed in full again? With Maart's legacy having been finally recognised it would be great to give it the treatment it deserves.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2024, 06:41:17 PM »

It was an era when I delved head first into all things Fairport even if The Five Seasons I haven't heard in eons. It's been rereleased several times; not the rarity I'd first think of.
However if there's a cool live recording from 1991 to beef it up with as extra disc ... is Cropredy 1991 out there in nicely recorded form?
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 01:41:12 PM »

Love "the Five Seasons. I would be my favorite FC record if they hadn't released "Jewel in the Crown." I listen to both all the time.

Count me in as another fan of The Five Seasons. Top five Fairport for me.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 04:32:29 PM »

Count me in as another fan of The Five Seasons. Top five Fairport for me.

I have so many questions... Wink Grin

Peter Allen

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2024, 05:32:00 PM »

I think a good compilation based on Red & Gold / Seasons /Jewel albums , with a second disc of demos , if any still exist , plus some live tracks , might suffice , and let's face it , we can all pretty much put that together on a home PC / laptop these days
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2024, 05:41:01 PM »

I like it, as I like almost everything they have put out, and there are some very good songs on there (Claudy Banks, The Wounded Whale, to name but two), but it isn't probably in my top 10 Fairport albums.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Godzee

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2024, 06:08:26 PM »

There are definitely some demos still lying around, or at least we’re… I remember Maart getting annoyed with Dave Pegg that some demos made it into the light of day. It seems recently but of course this may now be ten years ago? I think Pegg was most interested in some £££ but Maart did not feel they were of quality that warranted their release.

I know David and I have had our differences in the past, but there is a good reason he lives a very nice life in France for most of the year

I think a good compilation based on Red & Gold / Seasons /Jewel albums , with a second disc of demos , if any still exist , plus some live tracks , might suffice , and let's face it , we can all pretty much put that together on a home PC / laptop these days
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: