TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 06:15:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ the Barbican, 18th July  (Read 233707 times)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »

I'm sure we will Martin Grin Grin Grin

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »

We should certainly get refreshed !!!
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2009, 03:52:21 PM »

According to her website (www.lindenijland.nl) Linde Nijland is taking part in this, and also doing a "freestage" event beforehand.

Quite a leg-up for her - from doing her two-person Sandy tribute show to singing with the band.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »

According to her website (www.lindenijland.nl) Linde Nijland is taking part in this, and also doing a "freestage" event beforehand.

Quite a leg-up for her - from doing her two-person Sandy tribute show to singing with the band.

So is she likely to be the "Sandy" for the evening?

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #224 on: May 30, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

So is she likely to be the "Sandy" for the evening?

Somebody reported here earlier that Chris While was booked for three numbers, so this thing seems to be heading for multiple "Sandies". Personally, I can't imagine Linde singing over an electric band.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #225 on: June 10, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »

Well and truly sold out now, as is only right and proper, of course.....still plenty of (rather too many actually, by the looks of it) tickets for the ISBfest the following night...the extended lineup there now includes Mike Heron and Clive Palmer, Richard Thompson, Danny Thompson, Alasdair Roberts, Trembling Bells, Dr Strangely Strange & Robyn Hitchcock.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »

So not very much of anyone then?......perhaps explains the ticket sales?

ian fry
as the rainbow lorikeets screetch outside

Loc: Adelaide

« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »

ISB sans robin williamson is i suppose less of a drawcard, but it's been that way for more than a goodly while, and the reality is - the 2003 ISB 'live at the lowry' is a lively and very entertaining 2 hour DVD, and the bonus interview with mike heron and clive palmer something of a treat...

speaking from afar, i find it extraordinary that a gig now also including richard and danny thompson, and the excellent robyn hitchcock isn't attracting more attention

the ISB songs still sound wonderful, and with fresh voices and new interpretations 'tis a prospect that i am anticipating with glee...

this moment?

yes please...!  
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »

maybe, but "with fresh voices and new interpretations 'tis" NOT ISB... anyway the only ISB ever worth a light was the INTERNATIONAL SUBMARINE BAND..... don't all rush

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »

This is a conundrum.  We booked tickets for Iain's solo concert at the Twickenham Folk Club, which conflicts with the ISB show.

Hmmmmmmm...
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

Go with Iain Matthews!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »

maybe, but "with fresh voices and new interpretations 'tis" NOT ISB... anyway the only ISB ever worth a light was the INTERNATIONAL SUBMARINE BAND..... don't all rush

youre a very wise man at times Jackie boy
ive tried to get the incredibles but i suppose its one of those you had to be there acts

The Dude abides
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »

I was there and I didn't get it then... The Beatles loved them... I recall McCartney turning up at The Roundhouse with entourage (that bunch of freeloading shysters known as "The Fool" if I recall) to see the String Band in about 1969... I had somehow been inveigled into attending.... More hippies than you could shake a chillum at... Too winsome by half. Best thing about any of that lot was the title for one of Mike Heron's albums: "Smiling Men With Bad Reputations". Now that, friends, is one cool title!

Meanwhile.... to get back to the International Submarine Band for a moment..........

AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »

Me neither Jack.

The dilemma is...do I love RT enough to sit through an evening of ISB stuff?  Or shall I just wallow in the Saturday show and leave it at that?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2009, 02:04:36 PM »

Me neither Jack.

The dilemma is...do I love RT enough to sit through an evening of ISB stuff?  Or shall I just wallow in the Saturday show and leave it at that?

I've never met anybody who think the String Band are 'alright'.  A few love them.  A load loathe them.  If you're not fully on board I'd stay away.  But I speak as someone who wants to be there, but can't!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »

Jack, I saw a reference to the International Submarine Band in Unterberger's book about an hour before you namechecked them, and I can't remember anything about it (trying to watch TV at the same time, not a good idea) The bloody index is useless. Could you enlighten us a bit? Ta!

Loved the reference to the Fool by the way, you're bang on the button there. Why the hell couln't the Beatles have commissioned Bruce Lacey or Viv Stanshall to throw their money away instead?  

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »

Me neither Jack.

I will still be in my proverbial cups after the previous evening (so long as we don't get 150 guersts who had sweet fa to do with FC in 1969!!  Angry ) Advice? Wallow deeply on Saturday!!

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

Jack, I saw a reference to the International Submarine Band in Unterberger's book about an hour before you namechecked them, and I can't remember anything about it (trying to watch TV at the same time, not a good idea) The bloody index is useless. Could you enlighten us a bit? Ta!

Loved the reference to the Fool by the way, you're bang on the button there. Why the hell couln't the Beatles have commissioned Bruce Lacey or Viv Stanshall to throw their money away instead?  

Unterberg book? Not the one about The Velvet Underground?

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

I'm one of the 'love them' as far as the Incredible String Band go. Still remember seeing them at various festivals and the De Montfort Hall in the late 60s.

I'm going to the concert on the Sunday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Jim is right though - they are an all love or all dislike, they do not attract fence sitters.

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »

That was Gram Parson's first band wasn't it? Very country-flavoured rock as one might expect.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: