TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:24:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ the Barbican, 18th July  (Read 232958 times)
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #440 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:30 AM »

I have seen "Meet On The Ledge" played live numerous times, but it still never fails to grab me.   The Barbican rendition, with that enhanced lineup, was just over the top, even though I was only able to see it on YouTube and not in person.

Thanks to all who put their musical skills and hearts into this concert!

Cheers ///  Tom M.***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #441 on: July 23, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »

Without wishing to drag things off-topic, there was another support act played with Al Stewart that night, and I have a strange feeling it was Andy Roberts (Plainsong etc) cos he mentioned something about working with someone from Matthews Southern Comfort, and also Nicky Hopkins.  Can anyone shed any light?

Just dwelling on with offtopicness, but this sounds like Julian Dawson. The someone from MSC will have been Matthews himself, when both were members of the 90s version of Plainsong. And he's written (writing?) a biography on Nicky Hopkins, who just before he passed away played on one of Julian's albums.
Back to FC at the Barbican, then ;-) Cool Youtube footage!!
David Blake

« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »

What, Kami can't find a record deal?  She's a great singer, has some very good self-penned material, has stage presence and has a great band of people on the album.  The music world continues to astound me.
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »

Without wishing to drag things off-topic, there was another support act played with Al Stewart that night, and I have a strange feeling it was Andy Roberts (Plainsong etc) cos he mentioned something about working with someone from Matthews Southern Comfort, and also Nicky Hopkins.  Can anyone shed any light?

Just dwelling on with offtopicness, but this sounds like Julian Dawson. The someone from MSC will have been Matthews himself, when both were members of the 90s version of Plainsong. And he's written (writing?) a biography on Nicky Hopkins, who just before he passed away played on one of Julian's albums.
Back to FC at the Barbican, then ;-) Cool Youtube footage!!

Ah, there we go.  Of course it was Julian Dawson.  Nearly eight years of mystery solved.  Bless you internet.  Blinternet.  

Anyway, back on topic; when're we going to get the Angel Delight - Tippler's Tales follow up gig?  I'd certainly pay to see that.  
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »

Bless you internet.  Blinternet.

Aha! I see what you did there!
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #445 on: July 24, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »

The ISB concert at the Barbican is reviewed (somewhat belatedly) in the Guardian this morning by Robin Denselow. There is a one-line mention of the Fairport concert the night before- "Richard Thompson had played on the same stage the previous night in a rousing Fairport Convention retrospective."
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

There is a one-line mention of the Fairport concert the night before

I suspect there will be a more substantial review of the Fairport gig coming in the Weekend edition...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #447 on: July 24, 2009, 01:05:58 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQdO6ZsCNlQ
Linde Nijland did do a marvellous job here ...
(and Dutch too!)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #448 on: July 24, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

DM was "inch-perfect," revealing that he had bought a copy of Unhalfbricking prior to joining the band in order to learn "Autopsy," thanking FC for saving his life before he ended up in a really bad prog band !

Just to correct the historical record for posterity, he said "really bad fusion band."   Smiley

A remarkable show, well-reviewed here.  Absolutely worth the trip over.  I briefly spoke with Joe Boyd the following night at the ISB show, and he was pleased that we came all the way from Texas just for these shows.  Mrs. John from Austin took a photo of me with Linda Thompson after the ISB show.  You'll have to take my word for it, because just before the shutter clicked Ms. Thompson cheekily covered her face with her hand.
arie

« Reply #449 on: July 25, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »

This is true, I saw it happen and briefly spoke to Linda after that.
If I had known it was a fellow Talkawhiler ........
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #450 on: July 25, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »

There is a one-line mention of the Fairport concert the night before

I suspect there will be a more substantial review of the Fairport gig coming in the Weekend edition...

Nothing I could see this morning.....

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2009, 11:29:16 PM »

Just got back from a week's camping in various places - we left the next morning after the Barbican concert, for which I entertained Ms Mulley, and had the pleasure of the company of numerous Talkwhilers in the Fox and Anchor (yes, the drinks were a bit steep, but very well kept), a couple for the first time, and very nice it was too.

Just a brief thought on the show itself; it was wonderful to see Jude in such great spirits, and voice and overall I thought the first half was wonderful. Surprised at the quality of the guest contributions, which certainly buried any worries I had prior to the event, and it was good to hear such a candid admission from Joe Boyd about "disagreements". A Sailor's Life was brilliantly done, especially, with the musical image of storm to calm being sublimely carried by Thomson, Mattacks, Nicol and Leslie (couldn't really hear Ashley's bass most of the time).

Second half was not so great, at first; for me and perhaps a large chunk of the audience, Chris While's slightly diva-esque performance on a night where the focus was Fairport *the band* didn't sit comfortably, and the applause seemed a little muted. Full House, though, really kicked Bloke Folk arse (yes, "Bloke Folk", you heard it here first), benefitting from Peggy's blinding dexterity...he really is a brilliant player, often overlooked by those that praise RT's pyrotechnics.

Well worth the journey, and the ticket price; some very nice memories to keep in my head.

Oh, and here's a photo of Helen telling JJ not to be so shy about photos in the pub  Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #452 on: July 26, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »

(couldn't really hear Ashley's bass most of the time).

I looked for the smilie but couldn't see it.  You are joking?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2009, 11:53:34 AM »

Nope, maybe it just washed over me compared to Peggy's thundering Fender 5 string.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #454 on: July 26, 2009, 12:08:46 PM »

Nope, maybe it just washed over me compared to Peggy's thundering Fender 5 string.

Weird...that's the exact opposite of what I thought (and felt!)....my reality was that Ashley's bass was FAR far too loud in the mix...Pegg's was about right.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »

The lovely Keith, with beer of course, great pub the Fox and Anchor.  Wink Thanks for recommending it.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2009, 07:25:57 PM »

Skirky discussing Pork pies. Who is talking to Sandra in this pic please, anyone owning up to being a TAWer ? Huh

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2009, 11:18:41 PM »

Blimey, once she finds out who's nicked her flute they'll be in big trouble... Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #458 on: July 27, 2009, 03:34:18 AM »

Has anyone posted a video yet of A Sailors Life from the Barbican?I would love to see that.

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #459 on: July 27, 2009, 10:00:22 AM »

Weird...that's the exact opposite of what I thought (and felt!)....my reality was that Ashley's bass was FAR far too loud in the mix...Pegg's was about right.

As we left the auditorium at half-time Joe Boyd was heading to towards the sound desk muttering about getting the bass levels reduced.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: