TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:46:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb NOT at the Barbican  (Read 51473 times)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »

The suggestion that we might "leave it there peeps" is at best a joke... There has been a bad feeling about this almost since it was announced... I for one was ecstatic that early FC was going to be on the stage again - RT, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Iain Matthews with necessary (and excellent) stand-ins for Martin and Sandy in the shape of the great DM and one (or, if necessary more) of the range of possible female singers plus Swarb. However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? Now we have Swarb checking out... no-one has a clue exactly what is or is not happening who or is not performing. Unacceptable. I cancelled a significant other engagement to attend what I believed (was strongly led to believe) would be a set focused on FC's best ever albums... What We Did On Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking... plus Liege & Lief (to keep the 40 years/1969 theme) and Full House (fine album but only included at a 1970 stretch)... Now? God only knows.... and I don't mean add The Beach Boys to the schedule (although that's always a nice option). So no... I won't "leave it there peeps"... And as for the curiously mad suggestion that Chris Leslie stand in for Swarb and sing.... PLEASE NO......

i would love to be able to go to this gig...

jude is there.. that in itself is rare.
why " has there been  bad feeling about this gig from the beginning " .. for gods sake?

you say:

" However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? "

um why? all fantastic musicians, all with great pedigrees.. what is the problem. how can you possibly moan about this ? lol

this is a one off event, which i wish i could get to but can't. can people not just enjoy it and trust that fairport and associated musos will produce a wonderful show?

how bizarre ..
[/quote]

Thank you for a customarily fatuous "reply". How can I possibly moan, you ask? Well how about being sold a bill of goods?... The earliest announcement about this spoke of "1969", "Thompson, Nicol, Matthews, Hutchings, Swarbrick, Mattacks, some or other female vocalist". Not the extended Thompson family, Martin Carthy, a lenghthening list not "FC 1969" not solely "Thompson, Nicol, Matthews, Hutchings, Swarbrick, Mattacks, some or other female vocalist"... Now I appreciate that you may not care. These others are - as you rightly state - "all fantastic musicians, all with great pedigrees".... BUT IT'S NOT A SPECIAL ONE-OFF FOCUSED EVENT PERFORMING/CELEBRATING 1969 WHEN FC WAS A GREAT BAND...

You do know the problem, don't you? Many on this site are (as someone actually put it) "just happy to look forward to whatever is offered"... regardless of whatever happens to be "advertised". I'm not. It's called discernment, love...

But no... really... thanks for the point-missing fatuity of a post... (and PLW can butt out)

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 08:07:44 AM »

i rather agree with jackie boy
the initial show was going to be the reunion of fc69
and while all the others may well be nice people and fine performers they arnt what it promised to be
and an underrehearsed sing along isnt quite what i was hoping for
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:19:33 AM by Jim » Logged

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »

Thank you for a customarily fatuous "reply". How can I possibly moan, you ask? Well how about being sold a bill of goods?... The earliest announcement about this spoke of "1969", "Thompson, Nicol, Matthews, Hutchings, Swarbrick, Mattacks, some or other female vocalist". Not the extended Thompson family, Martin Carthy, a lenghthening list not "FC 1969" not solely "Thompson, Nicol, Matthews, Hutchings, Swarbrick, Mattacks, some or other female vocalist"... Now I appreciate that you may not care. These others are - as you rightly state - "all fantastic musicians, all with great pedigrees".... BUT IT'S NOT A SPECIAL ONE-OFF FOCUSED EVENT PERFORMING/CELEBRATING 1969 WHEN FC WAS A GREAT BAND...

You do know the problem, don't you? Many on this site are (as someone actually put it) "just happy to look forward to whatever is offered"... regardless of whatever happens to be "advertised". I'm not. It's called discernment, love...

But no... really... thanks for the point-missing fatuity of a post... (and PLW can butt out)

Yum yum....Nice tone.

So you'll be contacting the Ticket office for a refund...and somebody who wants to be there can be.  Everyone's happy.  Move right on...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »

and while all the others may well be nice people and fine performers they arnt what it promised to be

Ummm, would it make you any happier if I pulled out as well?  Undecided
(I have no intention of doing so by the way)

And it will be in no way under-rehearsed, nor will it be a 'sing-a-long'

This thread is making me feel increasingly uncomfortable and unwelcome.. Cry

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »

should anyone not want to go they could donate their tickest to me  Grin

I would love to see jude and all those fine performers
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »

I'm with you there Billy!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »

I hope you don't feel unwelcome Jude! Kiss I for one wish i was going its on my Birthday! But i physicaly can't get down there from work in time.
I can understand the upset at Swarb not being there etc, as I've already said, but if its not what Jack and others want to see then there is time to get refunds. However I don't see the point of being off about who is there.

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »

No Jude, not at all, the idea of a celebration of early Fairport is fine topped off by the last hurrah of the FC69 line up
but it seems to have become something it wasnt initially billed as, and not what I had hoped for,
Swarb did have a problem with rehearsal time though
Its just that it seems like an opportunity lost
this is all a bit academic for me since i wasnt going in any case

The Dude abides
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »

Jude...I'm sure that none of this it directed at you, and I hope that other posters will confirm that.  I was delighted to learn after I'd got my ticket that you will be there.

I'm not sufficiently geeky to remember, (or look up, or really care) exactly who was in the band on each album, but I am looking forward to wallowing in general early Fairport nostalgia, and you're an integral part of that era for me.

And this is why I think it's a pity that Swarb won't be there.  And I don't really understand what Teddy and Kamila etc will add.  I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of Linde Nijland.  Embarrassed

(PS, Tasha...it's my b'day too!)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »

I think we have the solution....

Unfortunately, this gig has changed from what was originally advertised. We are obviously not going to be told why, although artists have apologised here. There seems little point in continually rehashing or repeating upset feelings. We are where we are. Can we move on......

However, there are still many who would rather be there than not, so anyone not now wishing to attend can advertise their tickets here and I'm sure you will get takers. There is still time to cancel hotel bookings and the like, so iot's a good chance you won't even be out of pocket if you advertise now.

If anyone has anything new to add, please post it here.

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »

If the astonishing impromptu performance of Time Will Show the Wiser a couple of years ago at Cropredy is anything to go by, it will be anything but an under-rehearsed singalong.

And don't forget Jude, a message board is a self-selecting minority: the vast majority of the audience won't have even heard of this board or be aware of this discussion. Enjoy the show and give it everything you've got!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

I'm not sufficiently geeky to remember, (or look up, or really care) exactly who was in the band on each album

Conclusive proof of your femininity if ever I saw it.  It's a bloke thing, isn't it?   Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:30 AM »

The suggestion that we might "leave it there peeps" is at best a joke... There has been a bad feeling about this almost since it was announced... I for one was ecstatic that early FC was going to be on the stage again - RT, Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Iain Matthews with necessary (and excellent) stand-ins for Martin and Sandy in the shape of the great DM and one (or, if necessary more) of the range of possible female singers plus Swarb. However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? Now we have Swarb checking out... no-one has a clue exactly what is or is not happening who or is not performing. Unacceptable. I cancelled a significant other engagement to attend what I believed (was strongly led to believe) would be a set focused on FC's best ever albums... What We Did On Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking... plus Liege & Lief (to keep the 40 years/1969 theme) and Full House (fine album but only included at a 1970 stretch)... Now? God only knows.... and I don't mean add The Beach Boys to the schedule (although that's always a nice option). So no... I won't "leave it there peeps"... And as for the curiously mad suggestion that Chris Leslie stand in for Swarb and sing.... PLEASE NO......

i would love to be able to go to this gig...

jude is there.. that in itself is rare.
why " has there been  bad feeling about this gig from the beginning " .. for gods sake?

you say:

" However, the "other guests" bit sounded worrying... particularly La Famille Thompson, Martin Carthy... others? "

um why? all fantastic musicians, all with great pedigrees.. what is the problem. how can you possibly moan about this ? lol

this is a one off event, which i wish i could get to but can't. can people not just enjoy it and trust that fairport and associated musos will produce a wonderful show?

how bizarre ..

[/quote]

Roll Eyes

no need to be like this.. it is a message board not a testosterone contest  Grin
you have your opinion and i have mine yes? that is the point of discussion?
i have had the same convo with others here and neither of us have become abusive...
so polite request... CHILL .

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »

I think we have the solution....

Unfortunately, this gig has changed from what was originally advertised. We are obviously not going to be told why, although artists have apologised here. There seems little point in continually rehashing or repeating upset feelings. We are where we are. Can we move on......

However, there are still many who would rather be there than not, so anyone not now wishing to attend can advertise their tickets here and I'm sure you will get takers. There is still time to cancel hotel bookings and the like, so iot's a good chance you won't even be out of pocket if you advertise now.

If anyone has anything new to add, please post it here.

well said and jude  Kiss

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »

Thank you for being so kind to me all of you that have messaged and posted.. it is quite odd to wear the two hats that I do, one as a musician and one as ole Jude the minimod and greyhound besotteder besotted person.

I do try to stay detached from these sorts of things, but sometimes I just have to stamp my wellie-booted foot Shocked

It will be a brilliant show and the songs from 40 years ago cannot be the same as when they were originally sung and played, and neither should they be, but hopefully the experiences and growth of the musicians playing them again will add an extra dimension.

I must practice my harping Roll Eyes Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »

So, who's organising the meet-up, so we can all say nice things to each other over a pint or two?

[will take this to the less angry thread]

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

Hmmm - it'll need to be someone with access to the local hostelries, as, being in the heart of the City, a fair number of hostelries in the locale are only open Mon-Fri.

Martin Driver would know one as he's prteviously organised a meet for a Barbican gig - which pub was it, Martin? And would you recommend it?

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »

Hmmm - it'll need to be someone with access to the local hostelries, as, being in the heart of the City, a fair number of hostelries in the locale are only open Mon-Fri.

Martin Driver would know one as he's prteviously organised a meet for a Barbican gig - which pub was it, Martin? And would you recommend it?

See other thread:

http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=181

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »

Can I just confirm that none of my comments are directed at Jude or Swarb or any of the performers, albeit that I think some of the "outsiders" are unnecessary. That certainly does not include our own beloved minimod!  Smiley

They do reflect my frustration at the lack of clarity around what this show is meant to be however, and the apparent conceptual change from the original announcement. I believe that we all heard of this show first from Swarb's own website so the latest development comes as a bit of an unfortunate surprise. Nevertheless, I'm sure FC67 will rock!
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2009, 03:00:50 PM »

Hi Jude,

I'm glad that you don't have an intention of dropping out, but sad that you needed to say it (and I fully appreciate why).  I think you are a very special case with relation to the Barbican gig, in that you are an original FC-er, pre '69. As someone who wanted to go, but can't as it's the same night as a charity concert I'm taking part in, I know that if I'd seen you on the line-up, I'd be thrilled, cos you're the one!!! I can't say the same for Thompson family members and Martin Carthy, as they're not actually FC-ers.  Save them for Saturday night at Cropredy - it's what we want and expect to see then.

And Simon N - if you're reading this - please don't take this as a negative at you or the organisation. If I were going, personally, i wouldn't be asking for a refund, I'd just 'rearrange my thinking'and be expecting a different sort of gig, than originally.

Grin

D
xx

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: