TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:53:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 65396 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2022, 08:29:11 AM »

It was pretty clear from his interview on Radio Oxford on Saturday that Steve Hackett didn't know anything about Cropredy, it's history or what sort of festival it is. He was fretting that his band might be too loud for a "folk festival" until it was pointed out to him that Cropredy has previously hosted the likes of Alice Cooper and Status Quo.
Other than he played there in 2014, which I accept is 6 years ago and he's probably played a few hundred gigs since then, but he must remember he's been there before, surely? And the comment about Chris Pegg is bizarre.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2022, 08:36:21 AM »

It was pretty clear from his interview on Radio Oxford on Saturday that Steve Hackett didn't know anything about Cropredy, it's history or what sort of festival it is. He was fretting that his band might be too loud for a "folk festival" until it was pointed out to him that Cropredy has previously hosted the likes of Alice Cooper and Status Quo.
Other than he played there in 2014, which I accept is 6 years ago and he's probably played a few hundred gigs since then, but he must remember he's been there before, surely? And the comment about Chris Pegg is bizarre.

72 year old bloke has memory issues.  Hmmm.  

ps you've lost 2 years somewhere Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #322 on: August 19, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »

ps you've lost 2 years somewhere Wink

Perhaps she meant 6 Cropredys ago...

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #323 on: August 19, 2022, 10:18:57 AM »

Other than he played there in 2014,

Hell, I was trying to forget that!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #324 on: August 19, 2022, 10:19:12 AM »

Most of us feel like we've lost 2 years recently!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #325 on: August 19, 2022, 11:45:52 AM »

Yes, I've lost 2 years!  Undecided which means I'm not 60 yet...   Grin

I can't believe it was 8 years ago. Tempus Fugit and all that

And I'm criticising Hackett for forgetting things!  Roll Eyes

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #326 on: August 19, 2022, 01:18:22 PM »

Let's face it,  Hackett is always going to be loved most by those who were there at the time. The ones who can sing along to every word of Supper's Ready (myself unashamedly included). And his 2014 Firth of Fifth remains my favourite ever non-Fairport Cropredy moment.
But, judging by his audience interaction he's obviously a  bit socially awkward IMO (though not in a Van the Man way...) Maybe he doesn't get into the "social networking" side of it- maybe he pays someone to do it for him even. Either way, he's a genius to me. Though obviously not to everyone on here..

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »

Let's face it,  Hackett is always going to be loved most by those who were there at the time. The ones who can sing along to every word of Supper's Ready (myself unashamedly included). And his 2014 Firth of Fifth remains my favourite ever non-Fairport Cropredy moment.
But, judging by his audience interaction he's obviously a  bit socially awkward IMO (though not in a Van the Man way...) Maybe he doesn't get into the "social networking" side of it- maybe he pays someone to do it for him even. Either way, he's a genius to me. Though obviously not to everyone on here..

I dont know what to say!! I will settle with the fact that you are very very wrong.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »

I dont know what to say!! I will settle with the fact that you are very very wrong.

Come on Nick...it's not hard is it - some people love something, some people don't.  You certainly bear your Cropredy grudges to the death!  Me?  I'm off to to listen to the Incredible String Band... Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »

Come on Nick...it's not hard is it - some people love something, some people don't.  You certainly bear your Cropredy grudges to the death!  Me?  I'm off to to listen to the Incredible String Band... Wink
I do not wish to offend anyone but believe I was quite restrained after the way I was brought down to earth after being on such a high.

StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »

Ok - come round to my house and I'll  sing all the words to you, and you'll see that I'm right there. As for the rest, you don'thave to say anything...it's an annoying thing I have called an opinion, and I know what it is, because I formed it myself. It's not right or wrong,  especially not very wrong. It's just my opinion. And like my shirt last Friday,  Im sticking to it, thanks all the same.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2022, 04:42:35 PM »

Ok - come round to my house and I'll  sing all the words to you, and you'll see that I'm right there. As for the rest, you don'thave to say anything...it's an annoying thing I have called an opinion, and I know what it is, because I formed it myself. It's not right or wrong,  especially not very wrong. It's just my opinion. And like my shirt last Friday,  Im sticking to it, thanks all the same.
I share your opinion. I sing along to everything, shout out "A FLOWER?" and "Paper late". I even try to bop along awkwardly to the faster bits...  Shocked
I've been a Genesis fan since I was twelve. Twelve!! My contemporaries were listening to the Bay City Rollers (I sang along to them at Cropredy too - the bloke next to Mike thought it was the Everley Brothers!!  Roll Eyes ) but I was working out time signatures to Firth of Fifth and discussing with school friends whether Steve Hackett was a good replacement for Anthony Phillips (he was!)

Opinions on music will always vary, that's a Good Thing. There was at least 3 acts at Cropredy that I never want to see again, but I can at least appreciate their musicianship and calibre.  Smiley

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2022, 05:31:07 PM »

No doubt the set was well-executed and appreciated by fans, but we thought  it was a bit ‘niche’ for that slot...not as universally enjoyable,as a crowd, as some headliners. As seen in these posts, it seemed to split the crowd rather than bring them together.

StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2022, 05:40:09 PM »

LOL - I shouted out A FLOWER?- and the bemused couple in front of me jumped!

A friend and I took two coachloads from Blackpool to Liverpool to see the Foxtrot tour,  second row tickets. All done in cash.
 The headmaster let us out to go to the bank to sort out the cash. And not a computer in sight... (or even existence?)

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2022, 06:54:06 PM »

Not going to apologise, but they didn’t float my boat at all.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2022, 10:48:11 PM »

No doubt the set was well-executed and appreciated by fans, but we thought  it was a bit ‘niche’ for that slot...not as universally enjoyable,as a crowd, as some headliners. As seen in these posts, it seemed to split the crowd rather than bring them together.

Polarising crowds? How very 2022!  Grin
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2022, 10:07:38 AM »

Saturday evening's set is now available online here

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bernie

« Reply #337 on: August 21, 2022, 01:11:25 AM »

I thought Fairports set was magnificent. There was something for everyone. With the new album being in the latest tour, we were not left with unknown tunes!! I really enjoyed myself rocking in my chair!! It was great to be back after 3 years. Hats off to the organisation...superb security and friendly faces ... but hey....toilets were brill, tho portacabins drifted sometimes!  But hey ho...things happen. I was so pleased to be back in that field with Fairport... I cried at the end. It didn't matter that Matty wasn't played, to me it was more poignant as to where has the time gone since we were all together in that field together. Loved every minute me!! The heat was too much for me..but managed a sun tan under the shade!, one thing I have to add...is those fans of our favourite band!! 2019 torrential rain...queuing up to get first row seats...2022 still queuing up in a heatwave to get front row seats!! This band have got the best fans ever!!  As I always said...Fairport is not just a band..its a way of life.. be kind to each other and look after each other !! Xx
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2022, 11:12:35 AM »

Cropredy gets a mention from Toyah - she’s a busy lass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-np0JdcUZY

PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2022, 12:45:16 PM »

Saturday evening's set is now available online here

I don't know whether it's permissible to mention it here (so I won't name it), but there is a web site where audience-recorded versions of many of the sets from this year's Cropredy (including Fairport, Clannad, Emily Barker, Maddie Morris, Sharon Shannon, Turin Brakes, Edward II, Trevor Horn, Martyn Joseph, Rosalie Cunningham, Holy Moly, Richard Thompson, Iain Matthews, Thumping Tommys, Bar Stewards, Seth Lakeman, Slambovians, Steve Hackett, Home Service) are available.

Quality can vary, but some of the sets are available as multiple recordings. The couple that I've listened to so far (Richard T, Slambovians) have been excellent.

--
Philip
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: