TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:53:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 65424 times)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #300 on: August 16, 2022, 07:35:03 PM »

Terrible news. My friends on a narrowboat.(and their neighbours) were questioned by the police, but heard nothing after that. RIP.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
vince42

« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2022, 08:03:49 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed this year, though to be fair I'd probably have enjoyed the opening of a recycling centre after the last couple of years...

Didn't venture out till later afternoons due to heat but in no particular order my hits were the Slambovians, Rosalie Cunningham, Edward II, RT and Steve Hackett.  My better half also highly rated Maddie Morris.

Even on Thursday with the queues at the bar I found everyone in good humour as well despite (because of ?) the temperatures and I do like the Hook Norton ales.

Our new hound also seemed to enjoy herself at her first festival which bodes well for coming back again.

Vince
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »

Seth Lakeman is a great musician and singer, but I haven’t listened to enough to be able to distinguish songs from each other.

He's a lovely bloke but we can't distinguish his songs from each other, either. And we've been listening to him for years.

Seth Lakeman is a great musician and singer, but I haven’t listened to enough to be able to distinguish songs from each other.

He's a lovely bloke but we can't distinguish his songs from each other, either. And we've been listening to him for years.
There’s the scrapy one on the fiddle, and the strummy one on the guitar.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »

Terrible news. My friends on a narrowboat.(and their neighbours) were questioned by the police, but heard nothing after that. RIP.

Awful!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2022, 10:33:21 PM »

Did anyone see Mitchell, Mattacks and Pegg at The Brasenose on Sunday?
Sounds intriguing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2022, 10:38:46 PM »

Sounds intriguing.

No, I went home after Ric, Vo Fletcher, Peggy, Tom Leary and Anna Ryder

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Andy Leonard

« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2022, 11:17:10 PM »

Sounds intriguing.

Yes I did and it was an excellent set. Bit of everything, Blues, Country and good old Rock n Roll.

Andy Leonard

« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2022, 11:19:58 PM »

As regards charging for car parking it must be remembered that probably 80% of people bought their tickets for the 2020 festival with the price of the ticket being aligned to the overheads at that time. Now in 2022  the cost of everything costs much more particularly diesel which is probably 40% more expensive than 2 years ago. Think how many generators are at the festival for stage lighting, the sound and all the lighting in the walkways to the camping fields, plus anything else that needs to run on 240 volt power. Therefore I suggest that that charge was being made to cover those extra costs. If the festival ever ran at a loss I’d imagine that that would be the last one. Not that I’ve read anyone actually having a go but I wouldn’t mind betting that I’m not far off the mark.
There was a lot of heavy-duty whingeing on Facebook about it. My immediate reaction when I saw the email about charging for parking was exactly the same as yours - costs have gone up and this is a fair way of recouping some of it, but the moaners weren't having it!  Roll Eyes

Some artists have asked for donations if tickets were carried over from 2020, Dean Friedman for one, he reckoned his costs (car hire, hotels, fuel, food) had gone up by around 40%, but he would still only be paid what was agreed in 2019/2020 when the bookings were made.

That’s one of the reasons I’m not on Facebook. It’s amazing how some people hide behind their keyboard and become negative and frequently nasty.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »

I won two prizes in the Cropredy Primary School (online) raffle - a copy of Off The Desk 2020 + signed tour programme, and a soprano ukulele signed by Joe Brown.

Caroline, the organiser, told me that entries were not numerous, but that they'd not been able to organise a physical raffle this year; she hopes to do so next year with tickets on sale in the concert field and/or around the village.

Flobbadob!
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2022, 03:40:58 PM »

Interesting discussion about Fairport being replaced by a "young Fairport" and "triggers broom" .... hasn't Fairport always been a moveable feast/institution over the years? Why would the band suddenly change wholesale over night.   Of course some current members might consider stopping, but im guessing they wouldn't all stop at once.  The beauty of evolution is that it happens without us noticing.

As said, the current lineup has been stable for pretty much a quarter of a century, over twice the length of any previous lineup, and it's an unavoidable reality that the age of the band members now makes it more likely that health issues alone could cause wholesale change in a much shorter period than one would normally expect.

I'm similar to Will S in that I feel that the idea of FC continuing indefinitely with an ever-changing lineup (as the likes of Simon and Peggy have suggested in the past) now seems less and less likely. If there had been lineup changes over the last 25 years, in line with the *previous* 25-or-so years of the band, then it would seem more plausible, but now... I'm really not sure.

On a less ambiguous note it seems far more likely that Cropredy will continue even if there's no FC to anchor it.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2022, 04:01:28 PM »

Proper order...after all, Cropredy is the Ledge.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2022, 05:26:05 PM »

I heard today whilst at the red lion that unfortunately two festival goers passed away over the weekend.
One through drowning and another who passed away on the field.

My sincere condolences to all concerned and please forgive me if the above is incorrect as I have no verification other than what was passed on to me.

It was however relayed to me by one of the security workers.

A sad end to a great festival if correct.

That is dreadful news.
Speaking to one of the St Johns crew they said that they had had some 200 calls for attention resulting in 4 hospitalisations by Friday evening.

Desperate end to what was a wonderful festival.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2022, 02:41:17 PM »

Slightly awkward comment from Steve Hackett's site:

It was great to see several pals there, including Dave Pegg and his wife Christine. They have been organising the Cropredy festival for many years and it's always a great success.

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2022, 02:46:29 PM »

It was great to see several pals there, including Dave Pegg and his wife Christine. They have been organising the Cropredy festival for many years and it's always a great success.

DW

Whoops!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »

DW

Oh deary me! 🤣

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2022, 04:17:58 PM »

DW
Surprised he wasnt at the bar with Brian Epstein.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2022, 06:39:53 PM »

DW

... having a Pimms with Peter Grant

Flobbadob!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2022, 07:19:26 PM »

DW

... having a Pimms with Peter Grant

Jamming with Jimi…

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2022, 10:08:17 PM »

It was pretty clear from his interview on Radio Oxford on Saturday that Steve Hackett didn't know anything about Cropredy, it's history or what sort of festival it is. He was fretting that his band might be too loud for a "folk festival" until it was pointed out to him that Cropredy has previously hosted the likes of Alice Cooper and Status Quo.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2022, 10:20:49 PM »

It was pretty clear from his interview on Radio Oxford on Saturday that Steve Hackett didn't know anything about Cropredy, it's history or what sort of festival it is. He was fretting that his band might be too loud for a "folk festival" until it was pointed out to him that Cropredy has previously hosted the likes of Alice Cooper and Status Quo.

Course, he probably picked up that we are all still traumatised by Zal Cleminson’s Sin Dogs, us old Arran Sweater brigade  Grin.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: