TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 02:26:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy releases  (Read 18056 times)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:57 AM »

Three more Sandy LPs to get the "deluxe" treatment.

http://sandydenny.org.uk/news/

I'm as keen as anyone for Sandy's music to be more widely appreciated, but after previous "expanded" versions & 3 boxed sets, this just smacks of the p*** being taken.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »

I'm as keen as anyone for Sandy's music to be more widely appreciated, but after previous "expanded" versions & 3 boxed sets, this just smacks of the p*** being taken.

I tend to agree.

With the North Star deluxe, all that was previously unreleased was an instrumental backing track.  I wonder if they'll be dangling any juicier carrots this time around....?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:59 AM »

i can only wholeheartedly agree with Ian here and i posted  as such on facebook last night

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

Part of me says 'that's interesting', another part groans and sighs. Huh
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »

I tend to agree.

With the North Star deluxe, all that was previously unreleased was an instrumental backing track.  I wonder if they'll be dangling any juicier carrots this time around....?

Jules

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:41 PM »

I tend to agree.

Jules

From the sandydenny.org website:

The expansive bonus material includes home and studio demos, alternate takes and live recordings pertaining to each release. Of special note is an radio broadcast on Disc Two of SANDY, containing eight unadorned songs recorded live on a tour of the US at Ebbets Field, featuring tracks from the SANDY, and THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS albums, as well as the only live performance of “At the End of The Day” from LIKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALTZ. There is also a previously unreleased band version of “The Lady” and a live version of “Whispering Grass” from Dutch Television and an alternate take of the R n’ B tinged “Take Me Away” from the RENDEZVOUS sessions among many other rare or deleted extra tracks.

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »

I tend to agree.

Jules

The expansive bonus material includes home and studio demos, alternate takes and live recordings pertaining to each release. Of special note is an radio broadcast on Disc Two of SANDY, containing eight unadorned songs recorded live on a tour of the US at Ebbets Field, featuring tracks from the SANDY, and THE NORTH STAR GRASSMAN AND THE RAVENS albums, as well as the only live performance of “At the End of The Day” from LIKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALTZ. There is also a previously unreleased band version of “The Lady” and a live version of “Whispering Grass” from Dutch Television and an alternate take of the R n’ B tinged “Take Me Away” from the RENDEZVOUS sessions among many other rare or deleted extra tracks.

widely available bootleg stuff then,i wont be bothering

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

Thanks Paul.

My problem is that I can no longer keep tabs on which of this stuff I have already.  I'm way past saturation point.   Sad

Jules

David Blake

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:54 PM »

I tend to agree.  How many more versions of XXXXX do I want/need?  If I knew they were things I didn't have already then I might be tempted.  But how can I be sure?  They need to say 'previously unreleased' and then I might go for it.
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure after getting the wonderful boxed set that I now have everything I could ever want that she recorded.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

They need to say 'previously unreleased' and then I might go for it.

Yes, I definitely need major clues these days!

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure after getting the wonderful boxed set that I now have everything I could ever want that she recorded.

I have to agree. These new releases fail to arouse my interest.  Shocked

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

I have been wondering for a long time when they would finally get around releasing the 8 'Ebbets Field tracks' on CD. These indeed have been available for download everywhere and nowhere, but I always thought it a shame that they were never officially released. Those 8 tracks are among the most intense performances Sandy has ever recorded. They really are, in my opinion, the essence of Sandy Denny as a performer.

The Dutch tv-version of Whispering grass is more something of a curiosity. She's accompanied by Dutch musicians in a Dutch tv-show known as 'voor de vuist weg' by Willem Duys, who was world famous in the Netherlands in those days.

But for those who don't know the Ebbets Field tracks: buy that disk. You won't be disappointed.

--
Greetings from Holland
Hans Valk
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:52 PM »

Hans,

I've heard of the Ebbetts Field recordings and a friend here actually forwarded a couple of mp3 samples to me a few years ago.  They're wonderful and would certainly justify my purchase of the "Sandy" Deluxe CD.

Are the 8 tracks on the Deluxe CD the complete performance, or are there more songs out there in the ether?
Hans Valk

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

Hans,

I've heard of the Ebbetts Field recordings and a friend here actually forwarded a couple of mp3 samples to me a few years ago.  They're wonderful and would certainly justify my purchase of the "Sandy" Deluxe CD.

Are the 8 tracks on the Deluxe CD the complete performance, or are there more songs out there in the ether?

I'm not sure if they are if they are the complete performance, but the bootleg that has been around contains just 8 songs. It is probably a recording of a radio program, maybe taken off air. I wonder what will be on the CD. Perhaps it has the original tape (that were broadcast) as a source. But I have never heard of any more then those 8 songs being available.
I have checked and the bootleg is still there. Google for it and you will find it. It contains mp3's, as you write. Or wait for the CD to appear. Or get both!

Ebbets Field was a small venue in Denver Colorado; actually the same place where Sandy played with Fairport about one year later. A CD of that gig also exists. With Sandy in not-so-good shape.
The eight songs we're talking about here were recorded in april 1973. Sandy is chatting in between songs, making silly jokes. She's obviously nervous. But once she starts playing all that's gone. she's powerful and intense. There are very few other recordings of her, that equal these performance-wise, in my opinion. The sound quality, as bootlegs go, is also pretty good. Her voice is close-miked and breathy. I was very pleased when I found these a few years ago. For some reason unknown to me they were not included in 19-CD box-set.

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 12:06:41 AM »

i have a pretty good idea as to why they weren't included in the 19 cd definitive box Angry

The Dude abides
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »

i have a pretty good idea as to why they weren't included in the 19 cd definitive box Angry

So they could produce a 20 cd definitive box?

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »

Damn, so I may end up buying yet more Sandy.  There's a sucker born every minute....and I'm one.

Jules

Hans Valk

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

Tell us more, Jim..

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »

Tell us more, Jim..

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk

to screw more money from her fans

The Dude abides
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: