TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:58:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy releases  (Read 17953 times)
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:36 AM »

i have a pretty good idea as to why they weren't included in the 19 cd definitive box Angry

Tell us more, Jim..

to screw more money from her fans

Yes, thats the simplest reason we can come up with.

Maybe there were still certain rights involved. Other than those who belong to the people who reign over the Denny estate.
Anyhow, this recording seems to have neglected by the powers that be until now. Which is strange, since they do Sandy so much more justice than (for instance) the Essen recording by Fotheringay, that was issued some time ago.

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:39 AM »

As long as they're at it, why not Fotheringay Deluxe with the entire performance from the Holland Pop Festival in Rotterdam?

Anyone?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 08:53:02 AM »

As long as they're at it, why not Fotheringay Deluxe with the entire performance from the Holland Pop Festival in Rotterdam?

Shhhh!  Dammit, don't give 'em any more ideas!   Roll Eyes

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Hans Valk

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »

As you probably know a few of the songs played at that gig are included on the CD-re-issue of the first Fotheringay album. I believe the 19-CD box includes everything that was recorded at the Holland Pop Festival.  But I never bought the 19-CD box, so I know only the first-mentioned tracks. What I have heard there, in combination with the one track I know from the 'Essen'-CD, brings me to the question if Fotheringay really was as together as a live band as they have been made out to be in retrospect. I don't think the live recordings of Fotheringay that I have heard so far sound as a really tight band. In the case of Sandy solo more often than not it's the other way around. She's just as good or better live than on studio-recordings.
But you're proposition surely is in line with what seems to be happening now. All sort of goodies that originally were only on the 19 CD box are being used again, but now dispersed on several other re-issues. That's why inclusion of the Ebbets Field tracks on the 'Sandy' re-issue is so striking. The were NOT on the 19-CD box, and not even part of the Universal archive, I suspect.

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

I have one of the 19-CD behemoths (Christmas present from Mrs. John From Austin) - it included the Holland Festival songs sung and/or written by Sandy, only.  Therefore, we got full blown professional recordings of "The Sea"; "Two Weeks Last Summer"; "Nothing More"; "Banks of the Nile"; "Memphis Tennessee" and "Trouble".

Someone on an earlier thread noted that the full performance also included songs such as Too Much of Nothing and The Way I Feel, on which Trevor is the more prominent vocalist.  These were left off the box set.

I agree that Fotheringay were a loose live band.  However, Sandy's live vocals on Banks of the Nile give me shivers.  She could really bring it, live, when she was in her prime.  I'm greedy for every scrap I can get.
Hans Valk

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »

I have one of the 19-CD behemoths (Christmas present from Mrs. John From Austin) - it included the Holland Festival songs sung and/or written by Sandy, only.  Therefore, we got full blown professional recordings of "The Sea"; "Two Weeks Last Summer"; "Nothing More"; "Banks of the Nile"; "Memphis Tennessee" and "Trouble".

Someone on an earlier thread noted that the full performance also included songs such as Too Much of Nothing and The Way I Feel, on which Trevor is the more prominent vocalist.  These were left off the box set.

I agree that Fotheringay were a loose live band.  However, Sandy's live vocals on Banks of the Nile give me shivers.  She could really bring it, live, when she was in her prime.  I'm greedy for every scrap I can get.

You're right, I made a mistake. The 19-CD set of course only contains the 'Sandy' tracks. Sandy's vocals at the Kralingen festival (as it is called in The Netherlands) are ok, but in 'Memphis Tennessee', for instance, the band sounds pretty shabby. But then again, Fotheringay was no R&R band.
Except for 'The Sea' and 'Trouble', all tracks you mention are on the 2004 CD-re-issue of the first Fotheringay album as well. But that's it. No 'To Much of Nothing' and 'The Way I Feel'.

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
suffolk steve
n3wb

Loc: Blundeston, Suffolk

The grey one

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

The 'official' SD site kindly tells us exactly where each track has been released before. Apart from the Ebbett's Field concert, previous reports are right - 'new' tracks are:
Sandy - disc 1 - The Lady (Band version) - 1972 @ Sound Techniques, disc 2 - the Ebbett's Field tracks
LaOFW - disc 2 - Whispering Grass on Dutch TV. For those of you who haven't heard that one, go to: http://www.mcvax.org/~jghall/sandy/whisp.html  
Rendezvous - disc 1 - Easy to Slip and Losing Game, disc 2 - Take Me Away (it seems all from the April 1976 sessions at Basing Street).

If it feels good it can't be wrong ... can it? Please tell me it can't!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Thanks, Steve, that's very helpful!

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

Well call me weak, but I finally caved in and ordered the 2 disc version of Sandy this morning.   Roll Eyes

Jules

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »

I nearly did this, and may yet weaken and do so. Let mw know how it compares with the last remaster, Jules.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »

I nearly did this, and may yet weaken and do so. Let me know how it compares with the last remaster, Jules.

Please don't make me do an A/B comparison test, Alan!  The amount of Sandy releases is already doing my nut in!   Cry

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »

Rendezvous - disc 1 - Easy to Slip and Losing Game, disc 2 - Take Me Away (it seems all from the April 1976 sessions at Basing Street).

Just had a sneak listen to these three outtakes and it would appear that the deluxe Rendezvous might even be the most essential of the 4, because these versions sound excellent.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:44 PM »

i see the box has been delayed, this from amazon

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Sandy Denny "The Notes and The Words: A Collection Of Demos & Rarities"
    Estimated arrival date: November 01 2012 - November 03 2012

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: