TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97606 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »

On a personal note, please don't let Peggy sing (other than backing or duetting.  Roll Eyes

It's a strange thing isn't it. I thought his harmonies and backing vocals were terrific on Saturday night but it just does not work as a lead voice.

But if Ringo got a song on every Beatles album and Keith gets one on the Stones records I'm sure we can allow Peggy to sing occasionally. It doesn't last long.  Grin
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

I was at the Union Chapel too.  I've been there quite a few times and I've never heard the sound as bad as it was when the set started on Saturday.  To my mind, the initial problem was simple - it was too loud!  Maybe I'm getting old, but the sheer volume was killing the music.  It did settle down though.

"Babbacombe Lee", my favourite FC album, was excellent, some of the harmonising was superb.  The new songs were much better than I expected and "Rui's Guitar" seems to have taken several strides forward since last year's Cropredy.  It's the first Wintour I've been to, somewhat shockingly, and I really enjoyed it.  Nice to see the chap with the trumpet (whose name I can never remember) at the end - is he a regular fixture?
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »

The guy who played the trumpet was Edmund (Whitcombe, I think).  He guested on MOTL with FC last time we saw them at the Union Chapel.  He has played several times at Cropredy ... see the Fairport@Forty DVD ... sublime Red and Gold.  I like what he adds to the sound but then I do have a soft spot for brass, especially the trumpet as that was Dad's instrument of choice - he used to say if you can play one you can play the lot Wink

Really looking forward to Colchester tomorrow night.  I've waited a long time for this ... although I'm not expecting Chris While to turn up! Grin

Re: Wintour 2006 Set?
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 08:35:53 AM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to see the first half completely made up of old material - a mixture of very old and very rarely played songs/tunes.  (Babbacombe Lee or L & L would fit the bill nicely but I'd settle for other stuff!)  Chris While as guest singer.  

The second half would be completely made up of new material - a combination of songs/tunes written by band members and non-band members, with a few 'new' traditionals thrown in.  

The encore would consist of Matty Groves (done in the way Jim describes) and Meet On The Ledge.  

I know it won't happen because it would require much rehearsal time, which has not been available as most band members have been busy with other projects right up to Christmas.  

We've got tickets for Tunbridge Wells on 4th Feb.    

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2011, 04:03:47 PM »

Review, of sorts, from the Evening Standard.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/review-23925253-fairport-convention-are-big-influence-on-brit-scene.do

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »

No stereotyping there then!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »

Cambridge was indeed excellent, and I agree with most of what JJ said (I quite like Peggy's voice).

Kat and Jamie were incredible, will definitely look out for them in future. Jamie's guitar playing in particular was astounding.

Babbacombe Lee was excellent; hearing the whole thing live really helped bring out the deeper meaning of the songs and really helped me empathise with Lee. The new stuff was also good, though it was nice to return to familar ground at the end. As a musician, Albert & Ted made my brain hurt.  Wink

Good to see Dianne and JJ at the end, and to have a chat with Chris again.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »

Had a great time in Cambridge last night, coffee at Carluccios and a box of amarreti brought for me, then onto the gig, enjoyed very much, the first full Fairport gig I have ever attended.

Loved Babbacombe Lee, loved the new stuff and the old stuff, struggled with WKWTTG, only heard it sung with female vocals before.

Loved the curtains in a sale last week line, and watching a steward hovering ready to tell Kat off for taking pics on her mobile, Steward got all the way over to her side of the auditorium only for Kat to put it away and go back stage again. Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »

Kat and Jamie - excellent. The song about her grandfather, 'Travelling in Time' was beautifully observed, and heart-breaking in the images it evoked.

As for Fairport - I think it's the best I've seen them play for years! I'd have gone home happy after BL, but there was a second half too! Wow!!

The intensity and power of Chris' singing seemed to reach new levels in BL..........stunning.

It wasn't safe, it wasn't cosy......(words that have been levelled at them recently).........it was new, innovative, along with the usual excellent musicianship.  IMO - they just ROCKED!! Grin Grin

(I would like to hear Ralph singing WCH with them - with a bit less 'jolly playing' - although this version is growing on me .)

I wonder what dad will make of it next week??

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »

I am amazed that such lazy nonsense gets through any editorial meeting - since whern was Bonny Black Hare a hit ffs, and I would be prepared to lay good money there were hardly any aran sweaters on show.
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »

I wonder what Simon Nicols would have to say about that...

Imponderable Joy
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »

Whoever wrote that also needs to look up the definition of falsetto...

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »

I am amazed that such lazy nonsense gets through any editorial meeting - since whern was Bonny Black Hare a hit ffs, and I would be prepared to lay good money there were hardly any aran sweaters on show.

Well, there was one Aran sweater there, being worn by the GLW, although technically it is mine but knitted by her. It was a chilly evening!

It really is a pretty rubbish review - but then the Standard is now a freebie so any editorial standards it might have had have been trimmed to the bone.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:48 PM »

[
Well, there was one Aran sweater there, being worn by the GLW, although technically it is mine but knitted by her. It was a chilly evening!

Tim ,its people like your GLW that reinforce stereotypes, did the folk fashion police(clancy brothers branch) not advise her to change into something less comfortable? Roll Eyes

seriously bad and lazy revue in the rag

The Dude abides
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

I just found this rather short review of the Morecambe gig though it does show the cavernous interior of The Platform quite well. Imageacoustic are also local promoters who have brought Show of Hands and Martyn Joseph to Lancaster.

http://www.imageacoustic.com/index.php/the-platform-morecambe/

If you search for "The Platform" and scroll down there are more photos of the chaps plus Kat & Jamie. Good pic of Ric (no 33).  Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »

I just found this rather short review of the Morecambe gig though it does show the cavernous interior of The Platform quite well. Imageacoustic are also local promoters who have brought Show of Hands and Martyn Joseph to Lancaster.

operatic storytelling Huh

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »

A nod to Babbacombe Lee I suspect. It is being constantly referred to as a folk rock opera. It is actually no such thing. It is a song cycle. Possibly. Wink
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »

I'm getting some disturbing images in my head of a Fairport video a la Bohemian Rhapsody.  Shocked

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »

GubGub:

Almost certainly my fault. I sometimes use the phrase in my introduction, using what I consider are vocal parentheses, heavily ladled with self-deprecating irony.

Can't help it if a reviewer borrows my shorthand. Not even Swarb would have imagined he was writing something in the pantheon of Verdi or Mozart..

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »

GubGub:

Almost certainly my fault. I sometimes use the phrase in my introduction, using what I consider are vocal parentheses, heavily ladled with self-deprecating irony.

Can't help it if a reviewer borrows my shorthand. Not even Swarb would have imagined he was writing something in the pantheon of Verdi or Mozart..

My comments were not in any way intended as a criticism Simon. BL seems to be routinely referred to as an "opera" in print. I remember Pete Townshend having similar issues with "Tommy". I'm not sure who started that particular argument but you are in good company.  Grin
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

It's quite extraordinary to me that people get so confused about what constitutes an opera.

There is, as far as I am concerned, definitively only one "opera". Which is to be found here.

I'm sorry, Simon, you just can't compare. (Although you could show this at a Cropredy break Grin)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: