TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 15, 2024, 03:28:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97598 times)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »

Come to Chesterfield Andy... only just up the M1 from Lessduh!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »

hmmmmmm, Brum as well?Huh

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »

I wish we didn't have to wait until 1st March.

I wish I didn't have to wait until August.  Sad

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
NeilB

Loc: Hampshire - and Lancashire

All my own hair and teeth - what's left of them

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »

Ann (From Lancs) and I went to the Mechanics at Burnley on Saturday - an excellent venue, not too big, not too small. It was her birthday too! Life doesn't get better than that. Looked out for any familiar faces but alas, surely there must have been some Talkawhilers there? Excellent night - enjoyed Katriona & Jamie too! Ah yes, The Festival Bell - I love that song.

Who knows where the beer goes
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »

Chi was brill !!!!! Do you know I had forgotten that Babbacombe Lee was my intro to Fairport back in 19frozentodeath.... It brought back a lot of memories .... I have to say that Ric was incredible ......
Well they all were but I sitting Ric side .....well done lads Fez
DaveP
Simon P

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 12:40:28 AM »

Babbacombe Lee. Swindon. Ace.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Chi was brill !!!!! Do you know I had forgotten that Babbacombe Lee was my intro to Fairport back in 19frozentodeath.... It brought back a lot of memories .... I have to say that Ric was incredible ......
Well they all were but I sitting Ric side .....well done lads Fez
DaveP

You must have been near me.

Not the best venue for seeing the band, or setting up the sound. Simon did thank John Gale for the difficult job he had done. Sound seemed fine, and most vocals were clear.

Paul

Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »

Just realised missing our Llandudno review:

Fairport Convention
Venue Cymru

WHEN Fairport Convention rolled into town last Friday one thing seemed sure... it would be a far from usual Fairport gig.
On their 27th consecutive winter tour one might think a band of their longevity may be going a little stale in places.
But nothing could be further from reality.
Fairport have been pioneers of British folk rock for an amazing 44 years. Since their inception in 1967, they have adapted and changed but never disappointed.
The first half of the set – a full 45 minutes – was a complete reworking of their 1971 folk-rock opera Babbacombe Lee – performed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album.
The set was stunning both musically, as a lyrical folk tale of 19th century John Lee – the man they could not hang -  and highlighted by Chris Leslie's beautiful vocals.
The second half was equally profound, but a world away with a packaging of Fairport's brand new album Festival Bell.
For a full 35 minutes the audience was treated to at least eight songs from the new CD including the haunting Mercy Bay and Carolyn Evans' equally moody Celtic Moon.
Meanwhile Chris While's stunning Darkside Wood and McTell's Around the Wild Cape Horn were powerhouses.
Violinist Ric Saunders entranced with the quirky and Danny Jack's Reward...  the juxtaposition between his fiddle and Peggy's bass was stunning.
We may have missed Chris' reworking of Sandy Denny's Rising for the Moon, but the audience was soon foot thumping along to concert regulars Matty Groves, Who Knows Where the Time Goes? and the timeless Meet on the Ledge.
Fairport were supported briliantly by a 25 minute set from upcoming folk duo Katriona Gilmore and Jamie Roberts, who left most of the audience spell bound by their confidence and sheer musical brilliance. Hunter Man, Fleetwood Fair and Travelling in Time are all brilliant songs.
A great evening of music.

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 12:55:24 AM »

Out of interest, this review of FC in Chichester was printed in the Portsmouth area local paper The News yesterday :

By and (c) Phil Riley, The News

Published on Thu Feb 10

"Not so much a band as a force of nature, Fairport Convention brought their annual Winter Tour to the rather reverential atmosphere of the Festival Theatre.

A more or less permanent fixture on the folk rock scene since their formation in 1967 the Fairports – who ‘did for real ale what the Grateful Dead did for LSD’ – are in truth best suited to a summer’s day with a flagon of beer and space to jig to the upbeat elements of their set.

They have a loyal following – you could probably have counted the number of first-timers in the audience on the fingers of one hand, this reviewer included – and that loyalty was surely tested at the opening of their set by a large chunk of their 1971 ‘folk rock opera’ Babbacombe Lee.

If you ever needed an explanation for the rise of punk, this rambling, interminable ‘concept album’ guff was it.

After the interval, however, the Fairports showed that they can still cut the old English mustard. The gig lifted off with a stirring Mercy Bay, off their new album Festival Bell, written by multi-instrumentalist Chris Leslie, a relatively new recruit with drummer Gerry Conway, who has brought new creativity to the band of veterans Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg and Ric Sanders.

It’s to Fairports’ credit that they showcase rising stars in support, and award-winning duo Kat Gilmore and Jamie Roberts did, as Nicol said, raise the bar."

Overall, not a bad review, but "rambling, interminable 'concept album' guff" !!! Pah ! Mr Riley's first Fairport gig, he just doesn't understand, does he ?  Wink
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »

Out of interest, this review of FC in Chichester was printed in the Portsmouth area local paper The News yesterday :

Published on Thu Feb 10

"Not so much a band as a force of nature, Fairport Convention brought their annual Winter Tour to the rather reverential atmosphere of the Festival Theatre.

A more or less permanent fixture on the folk rock scene since their formation in 1967 the Fairports – who ‘did for real ale what the Grateful Dead did for LSD’ – are in truth best suited to a summer’s day with a flagon of beer and space to jig to the upbeat elements of their set.

They have a loyal following – you could probably have counted the number of first-timers in the audience on the fingers of one hand, this reviewer included – and that loyalty was surely tested at the opening of their set by a large chunk of their 1971 ‘folk rock opera’ Babbacombe Lee.

If you ever needed an explanation for the rise of punk, this rambling, interminable ‘concept album’ guff was it.

After the interval, however, the Fairports showed that they can still cut the old English mustard. The gig lifted off with a stirring Mercy Bay, off their new album Festival Bell, written by multi-instrumentalist Chris Leslie, a relatively new recruit with drummer Gerry Conway, who has brought new creativity to the band of veterans Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg and Ric Sanders.

It’s to Fairports’ credit that they showcase rising stars in support, and award-winning duo Kat Gilmore and Jamie Roberts did, as Nicol said, raise the bar."

Overall, not a bad review, but "rambling, interminable 'concept album' guff" !!! Pah ! Mr Riley's first Fairport gig, he just doesn't understand, does he ?  Wink

I thought they were very unfair about Babbacombe Lee. Everybody I have spoken to thought it was brilliant. I met a guy at the concert I did on Wednesday who was so impressed he has booked for Farnham.

Paul

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »

Oh yes, he was certainly unfair about BL, but at least it looks like the reviewer has done some background research into the band, the LSD quote, spelling everyone's name correctly  Wink - reading between the lines the tone of the review says to me "overall a very good gig, the band are preaching to the converted, not my cup of tea, but well-played and those who went had a good time." Could've been so much worse !

The FC virgin with us on Tuesday enjoyed it so much we were halfway to the car park when she decided to run back and get a cd, and was very excited to have it signed by the guys !  Smiley
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

FC Chesterfield Winding Wheel

I came away from the gig last night feeling as though I’d been thoroughly Babbacombed and Belled… it was a great feeling.  I’ve always enjoyed the Wintours, but sometimes felt that each was similar to the previous year’s.. not this time!

I can’t add a lot to the previous posts, but here’s my view…  To open with Kat and Jamie… what a great start.. they have a promising career ahead of them I’m sure.  I bought both of their cds and will listen carefully today.

The lights went down and that eerie voice announced JBL’s sentence.. it was almost spooky.. and felt timeless…  we could have been back in 1971.  The whole set was powerful and true to the original.. just brilliant.  I’m so glad they did it, it really was stunning.

The interval gave me time to chat and buy and celeb spot…  Ashley H was there along with Blair, and Freddie Baker was lurking somewhere too!  I bought the new Wintour programme combined with the 2011 calendar.. which is printed with all the dates I really need to know!

The Festival Bell songs were very well received, a first outing for many of them, though some already familiar.  Fantastic to hear Peggy singing Celtic Moon...  I did think of Carolyn and Mark then! Again all played and sung superbly.  John Gale did a great job on the sound at the back again.

It was a Wintour to remember.. thanks again chaps X

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »

Oh yes, he was certainly unfair about BL, but at least it looks like the reviewer has done some background research into the band, the LSD quote, spelling everyone's name correctly  Wink - reading between the lines the tone of the review says to me "overall a very good gig, the band are preaching to the converted, not my cup of tea, but well-played and those who went had a good time." Could've been so much worse !

The FC virgin with us on Tuesday enjoyed it so much we were halfway to the car park when she decided to run back and get a cd, and was very excited to have it signed by the guys !  Smiley

We felt there were probably quite a few there who were new to fairport. I don't know if it was this, or the acoustics, but I felt the audience were a bit muted.

Paul

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »

Published on Thu Feb 10

Critics know all about rambling interminable guff.  Wink
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »

Okay ... good idea to proof the review here first!!!  Wink
Noticed three more spelling glitches and I can only relax in the knowledge that hopefully our page readers would have spotted them before publication.
So here is the final proof of the review. A review of Festival Bell also on the appropriate thread.

Fairport Convention
Venue Cymru
WHEN Fairport Convention rolled into town last Friday one thing seemed sure... it would be a far from usual Fairport gig.
On their 27th consecutive winter tour one might think a band of their longevity may be going a little stale in places.
Fairport have been pioneers of British folk rock for an amazing 44 years. Since their inception in 1967, they have adapted and changed but never disappointed.
The first half of the set – a full 45 minutes – was a complete reworking of their 1971 folk-rock opera Babbacombe Lee – performed to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the album.
The set was stunning both musically, as a lyrical folk tale of 19th century John Lee – the man they could not hang -  and highlighted by Chris Leslie's beautiful vocals.
The second half was equally profound, but a world away with a packaging of Fairport's brand new album Festival Bell.
For a full 35 minutes the audience was treated to at least eight songs from the new CD including the haunting Mercy Bay and Carolyn Evans' equally moody Celtic Moon.
Meanwhile Chris While's stunning Darkside Wood and McTell's Around the Wild Cape Horn were powerhouses.
Violinist Ric Sanders entranced with the quirky Danny Jack's Reward...  the juxtaposition between his fiddle and Peggy's bass was stunning.
We may have missed Chris' reworking of Sandy Denny's Rising for the Moon, but the audience was soon foot thumping along to concert regulars Matty Groves, Who Knows Where the Time Goes? and the timeless Meet on the Ledge.
Fairport were supported brilliantly by a 25 minute set from upcoming folk duo Katriona Gilmore and Jamie Roberts, who left most of the audience spell bound by their confidence and sheer musical brilliance. Hunter Man, Fleetwood Fair and Travelling in Time are all brilliant songs.

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »

Okay ... good idea to proof the review here first!!!  Wink
Noticed three more spelling glitches and I can only relax in the knowledge that hopefully our page readers would have spotted them before publication.
So here is the final proof of the review. A review of Festival Bell also on the appropriate thread.

Fairport Convention
Venue Cymru
Violinist Ric Sanders entranced with the quirky Danny Jack's Reward...  the juxtaposition between his fiddle and Peggy's bass was stunning.
Fairport were supported brilliantly by a 25 minute set from upcoming folk duo Katriona Gilmore and Jamie Roberts, who left most of the audience spell bound by their confidence and sheer musical brilliance. Hunter Man, Fleetwood Fair and Travelling in Time are all brilliant songs.

Possible pedantry here too but do you really want to use the word "stunning" in two consecutive sentences? Similarly "brilliance" and "brilliant" later on.

Other than that it has whetted my appetite for Union Chapel next weekend.
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »

A wonderful evening at 'The Platform' in Morecambe last night.  Kat and Jamie were superb (I especially loved her voice, and the song about her grandfather) - never seen them before.

Babbacombe Lee - what can I say.... fantastic.  What a treat to hear it in it's entirety 'live'.  I'm now listening to the BL album while I have my breakfast (but I'm not in Mayfair!).  Really enjoyed the new material, too, but I still had the memory of the first set bouncing around my head, which detracted from things a little.  Am looking forward to hearing the Festival Bell album.  

Absolute highlight last night - among many - was Chris Leslie's absolutely magnificent performance of Cell Song, which I just can't get it out of my mind.  It was spellbinding.

Well done for a fantastic gig, guys!  

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »

A wonderful evening at 'The Platform' in Morecambe last night.  Kat and Jamie were superb (I especially loved her voice, and the song about her grandfather) - never seen them before.

Babbacombe Lee - what can I say.... fantastic.  What a treat to hear it in it's entirety 'live'.  I'm now listening to the BL album while I have my breakfast (but I'm not in Mayfair!).  Really enjoyed the new material, too, but I still had the memory of the first set bouncing around my head, which detracted from things a little.  Am looking forward to hearing the Festival Bell album.  

Absolute highlight last night - among many - was Chris Leslie's absolutely magnificent performance of Cell Song, which I just can't get it out of my mind.  It was spellbinding.

Well done for a fantastic gig, guys!  

I was at Morecambe too, along with my 12-year old son, parked right in front of Simon on the front row. I agree with everything you have to say. Normally, I can't wait to get support acts out of the way and move on to the main attraction, but that certainly wasn't the case last night: Kat and Jamie were absolutely superb. It felt a real privilege to be seeing the Babbacombe Lee performance, and you're utterly right about Chris's performance of Cell Song.

The second set was a real winner too, and I loved Ric's joke about Chris and the whoopee cushion (found my level there!). Peggy and Chris seemed to be having a whale of a time alternating solos in Celtic Moon, and Danny Jack's Reward was stunningly audacious (or audaciously stunning, I don't know which).

At then end of the Festival Bell material, Simon thanked everyone for their open-mindedness in allowing the band to play so much unfamiliar material. I made a point of telling him straight after Meet on the Ledge, as he gathered his things together, that in my opinion such thanks really weren't needed, as the material is all fantastic. I jolly well meant it too.

I'm so glad I braved the rain, and hope the chaps had a good crossing to Douglas.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

That's probably the best crowd I've seen at the Morecambe Platform for a music gig. Marcus Brigstock filled the place 2 or 3 years back but it was certainly a much bigger crowd than the last time Fairport played there. Ric introduced Kat & Jamie and mentioned their success in the Hancocks. Fleetwood Fair was probably my favourite track from their set tho partly as it's the song of theirs I've heard the most. We didn't get there til 7:20 so were sitting way over on the left side. The sound for their set wasn't great but acoustic acts do struggle in the Platform, it being such a big space.

I woke this morning with the Captain Pugwash theme (aka the Trumpet Hornpipe) going thru my head along with Sailor's Alphabet. John Lee and Dream Song were the highlights for me from the first set. Of the new songs I enjoyed Rui's Guitar and Wouldn't Say No having heard them prior to the gig but Celtic Moon and The Festival Bell also sounded good.

Ric's whoopee cushion joke went down well with us and when Gerry was a bit slow at the start of one number, Dave's "come on Ringo" made us laugh too. I was most impressed with Ric's little acoustic bass guitar which he played when Dave was on mandolin. It took a while to realise he was playing bass as I though it was a tenor guitar or something similar. Can anyone give me some more info on that instrument? Would he have been playing it thru an octaver effects pedal?

As everyone has been saying, the chaps are in stunning form and for me they're neck and neck with RT for best gig of the year so far. On our way out Mrs B even said she might be interested in going to Cropredy this year. Simon has promised that the sun will shine!  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
SJN
I love lists!!!

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »

We didn't get there til 7:20 so were sitting way over on the left side. The sound for their set wasn't great but acoustic acts do struggle in the Platform, it being such a big space..

We got there at 7.00, and there was already barely a seat left in the central block.  Luckily, we just about managed to find two seats there (we don't like sitting at the side at the Platform - it's an odd space at the Platform, I feel).

We were just getting in the car when we realised we had completely forgotten to buy the new CD.... have now ordered it, though!

I've decided I don't do forums any more... see you elsewhere!
:-)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: