TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport cd release  (Read 61202 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »

mine arrived this morning, doesnt the weather look good in the inner sleeve photo? must have ben taken thursday or friday
also have the chaps ditched jewel case for digipaks? the digipaks were well done
i would still have liked a double or triple cd set
still never mind

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »

2 or 3 CD's? I doubt there was that much recorded in a decent enough quality.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

I reckon the whole FC set would have been recorded in decent enough quality - artist release (and the cost) may be a different matter.

KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

I reckon the whole FC set would have been recorded in decent enough quality - artist release (and the cost) may be a different matter.

Most of the best stuff from the night is all on there IMHO

Imponderable Joy
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »

2 or 3 CD's? I doubt there was that much recorded in a decent enough quality.

I'm sure it was all recorded in exactly the same quality!!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »

Just listening to it Smiley............I'm already there Smiley............ it's made me smile, and remember that field and my friends - and the mud and the spirit.  And the music's ok too Wink Wink. The Babbacombe Lee songs and Reynardine are superb. Breakfast in Mayfair has always been a favourite, and I love Simon's voice on it. Chris' voice is stunning on Cell Song and Reynardine - it fair sends shivers down my spine! (I like my Mr Leslie with an 'edge' Grin.)  I'm sure others can review it better and in more detail, so I'll leave them to it. Suffice to say I love it Grin

(ok I'm biased, but it's just given me that unique Cropredy feeling)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

Just listening to it ............I'm already there Smiley............ it's made me smile, and remember that field and my friends - and the mud and the spirit.  And the music's ok too Wink. The Babbacombe Lee songs and Reynardine are superb. Breakfast in Mayfair has always been a favourite, and I love Simon's voice on it. Chris' voice is stunning on Cell Song and Reynardine - it fair sends shivers down my spine! (I like my Mr Leslie with an 'edge' Grin.)  I'm sure others can review it better and in more detail, so I'll leave them to it. Suffice to say I love it

(ok I'm biased, but it's just given me that unique Cropredy feeling)

That's a review that works for me Cheesy  Mine should hit the Cait hair door mat soon Smiley

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »

Well I was going to wait for the wintour, but seeing as I won't be attending until the very last date, maybe I should send for this sooner. Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »

Can't wait to get ours..  I was trying hard to listen the the magnificent Cell Song while someone was talking at me.. I was a bit rude and walked away to listen..  bet he had no idea why!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2009, 10:49:35 PM »

Sorry but I'm not very good at clever review type words like some of you, so I'll just stick to 'FABULOUS' !!!   but especially Battle of Evermore - just listen to the interplay between the voices plus the wonderful sound of the instruments - amazing (how long must they have rehearsed this just for our pleasure?)    Oh, and 'Fotheringay' ..... oh, and ..... I'm back in the field, in the heat of the crowd, the lights, the sound!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2009, 07:06:40 AM »

but especially Battle of Evermore - just listen to the interplay between the voices plus the wonderful sound of the instruments - amazing (how long must they have rehearsed this just for our pleasure?)  

Well, they did it live a few days before at that gig in Derbyshire...sorry, can't remember the venue...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »

Ours arrived yesterday.
Regrettably had no time at all to give it a go
but will have a private little Fairport-Cropredy festy this evening.

Peter
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:20 AM »

Cropredy 08 arrived yesterday - its excellent, especially WKWTTG with Chris & Kellie While - those voices!

As previously mentioned by others, the three "John Babbacombe Lee" songs are also great - though Peggy must have forgotten about Angel Delight when he introduced them as from the album after "Full House"...

Special mentions also for Chris' neck-hair-raising "Reynardine" and the arrangement of "Battle of Evermore" with added bonus harmonies.

And a good idea to close with "Best Wishes".

Congratulations and thank you to all involved.

Flobbadob!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »

As previously mentioned by others, the three "John Babbacombe Lee" songs are also great - though Peggy must have forgotten about Angel Delight when he introduced them as from the album after "Full House"...

I noticed that on the night. Although, I guess the Angel is a time that Peggy wishes to forget. Even though he talks about it when he introduces Flatback Capers. I'm just gonna be quiet..... Lips Sealed

Imponderable Joy
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2009, 05:56:51 PM »

Just ordered the CD!

Although I was there and thoroughly enjoyed it all, it was viewed thru a fog of rain and Jack Daniels so it'll be good to listen to it sober  Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2009, 06:42:49 PM »

I don't know if anyone else has wondered this, but is the large picture on the front of the Cropredy 08 album a still from Simmo's video Of Matty Groves on youtube?

Imponderable Joy
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »

Both CD:s arrived yesterday. They look promising. I´ll have to wait a couple of days to give myself and the records enough time.  Shocked Cool
I have a lovely weekend coming up!  Grin

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
michaelfriars

Loc: Suffolk/Leeds/London

Real name is Michael

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »

No, it's on there right now - I've just checked on another computer with a separate pair of discs and the info came up pronto.

Suggest you refresh everything.

Usually seems work in the digi world....

What a splendid and rare 'cottage industry' Fairport is?  
Simon Nicol (the managing director?) packs CDs in to jiffy bags, provides an on-line after sales service and worries that we all receive what we've ordered quickly.  What a fine example to any owner managed business.  And I presume he 'signs' the compliment slip inside - so I hope no one throws it away  Fez Cool  
The live CD is simply great and does bring the fond remembered day back  to life (except for the mud, some of which I still have in the car).  
The 'only one live CD' must have been a difficult commercial decision taken by guys who for all their wonderful history live very much for 'today' and want to survive as a going concern to 'hand on the baton' at a time of their choosing and no one else.  Cropredy 1997 led to a 3 disc box set - still available in various places - including 'Angel Delight' which was given due prominence and discussion - highly recommended.  
I'm sure the recordings of the whole set 2008 (and prior?) are saved and maybe one day a 'volume two' will be offered to 'pre-orders' only to avoid the expense of unsold stock, I'd be happy to pay a deposit up front if that would help.  

Michael supports independent breweries.
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 07:21:29 AM »

Had my first listening to "Cropredy 08" yesterday.
To cut it short: Oh, what a treat.

Thank you to all involved.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »

Both arrived this morning...Evermore playing as I write...  will listen to F & G later.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all and specially for the speedy delivery Simon.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: