TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 319975 times)
Wandering Steve

« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »

A very decent line up with lots of variety.
Be interesting to see who will be announced as the thurs headliner as that is basically a big ticket seller.
If the thurs headliners a top act they’ve basically nailed it as the undercard so to speak is one of the strongest in recent years both in terms of quality and variation.

Surely oyster band Thursday headliners?

With the greatest respect I’d never heard of them.
Looked on YouTube and they are good but we are in 2018 im mid forties and couldn’t tell you one of their songs.
They are not a big ticket seller in this day and age,have they had chart hits,I really don’t know.
As a support act to a well known band they will be very good but I can’t see anyone under 40 saying the oyster band are headlining let’s go...
As I often point out the younger generation are the future of the festival and a headline band that is well known is what’s required to pull in crowds for a Thursday night.
Having been told of three acts that were approached I can assure you they were all higher profile than oyster band
1) a well known American rock band
2) a superstar singer known around the world
3) a Scottish rock band

Now it may be none of these end up headlining but I can assure you they are all high profile.

Anyway il enjoy listening to the oysterband from what I’ve heard online and then look forward to a top notch headliner with any luck.
We can safely assume the headliner is to be announced as it usually announced as we are thrilled to announce the thurday headliner........
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:36 PM »

Oysterband are as big as it gets in folk Rock.
If you've never heard of them and want some Pop superstar or Indie rock scotts instead are you on the right web forum?

My daughter is in her early twenties and a Cropredy veteran, when told it was to be the Oysterband she reacted with OMG texts to everyone she knows. Maybe no hits in the pop charts, but a back catalog of folk rock classics as impressive as anyone except Fairports . My favourite tracks in no particular order;

When I'm Up I Can't Get Down
Native Son
Another Quiet Night In England
Voices
The Road to Santiago
A River Runs
Put Out The Lights

Classics all. Brilliant live band too.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:08 PM »

Oysterband are as big as it gets in folk Rock.
If you've never heard of them and want some Pop superstar or Indie rock scotts instead are you on the right web forum?

My daughter is in her early twenties and a Cropredy veteran, when told it was to be the Oysterband she reacted with OMG texts to everyone she knows. Maybe no hits in the pop charts, but a back catalog of folk rock classics as impressive as anyone except Fairports . My favourite tracks in no particular order;

When I'm Up I Can't Get Down
Native Son
Another Quiet Night In England
Voices
The Road to Santiago.

A River Runs
Put Out The Lights

Classics all. Brilliant live band too.

I’ve liked what I’ve heard but imo not a headline band that will sell tickets in their own right.
I’m willing to bet you a pint that they won’t headline Thursday if you’d like to accept
We can settle up at the bar thurs night.
Just because they are folk rock doesn’t mean they are a headline act.
Alice cooper
Madness
Both nights as busy as I’ve seen the field on a Thursday.
I think like the rest of the festival we need a variety of music(the undercard is certainly very varied)
With the levellers and obviously fairport headlining I think balance is needed in the thurs headliner in the same way that madness and Alice cooper made for a more rounded festival
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #343 on: February 12, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »

It's been a while since I've been and I can't remember how the wristbands works so quick question. I have a friend coming down Thursday in his car but his wife isn't coming down on the train till Friday so she's getting a Fri/Sat ticket only. I presume her camping will be covered his one vehicle pass, yes?

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »

It's been a while since I've been and I can't remember how the wristbands works so quick question. I have a friend coming down Thursday in his car but his wife isn't coming down on the train till Friday so she's getting a Fri/Sat ticket only. I presume her camping will be covered his one vehicle pass, yes?

Yes, that would be fine, I think.  Assuming they are sharing the same tent, I can't see how there would be any issue.  If you had a friend who wanted to erect another tent next to yours, that would probably be another question.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #345 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »

You have a point Wandering Steve. Three Folk Rock headliners is a bit greedy.

But remember when 10cc had to follow the levellers. They couldn't because them Brighton boys had got everyone so high that nothing or no one could.

If someone is going on after Oysterband they'd better be high energy and very good. Saxon,Kaiser Chiefs etc.

Clever songs,great musicianship and good pop just won't do it.
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #346 on: February 12, 2018, 08:51:59 PM »

I remember seeing the Oyster Band at Cropredy probably 15 or so years ago. I said at the time if Fairport ever retired The Oyster Band would be suitable replacements for the Saturday evening. I think they are likely to be the main Thursday headliner. Probably more people have heard of them than those who haven't.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

I remember seeing the Oyster Band at Cropredy probably 15 or so years ago. I said at the time if Fairport ever retired The Oyster Band would be suitable replacements for the Saturday evening. I think they are likely to be the main Thursday headliner. Probably more people have heard of them than those who haven't.

Whilst I agree, I think the point made earlier that 3 folk rock bands headlining would be overdoing it a bit and for the sake of musical diversity we need an Alice Cooper or someone similar to provide it

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:29 PM »

It looks quite good to me.
I said I wouldn't come again after last year being so spiffing and impossible to equal, but am tempted.
Shame about Digance but I can always go down the pub or spend longer at the car boot I suppose.

Very happy with Oyster Band.
Wandering Steve

« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:34 PM »

You have a point Wandering Steve. Three Folk Rock headliners is a bit greedy.

But remember when 10cc had to follow the levellers. They couldn't because them Brighton boys had got everyone so high that nothing or no one could.

If someone is going on after Oysterband they'd better be high energy and very good. Saxon,Kaiser Chiefs etc.

Clever songs,great musicianship and good pop just won't do it.

I like what I’ve heard and will enjoy them but a madness,Alice cooper to follow would be magic
I know neither will(and it’s too early for a return imo)
I’d personally love to see the specials who are a great live act and I see they are playing boomtown that weekend.
Given how well madness went down another ska act may be possible.

I love cropredy festival,I don’t live far away and visit the village two or three times a week.
This year will be my tenth and I can honestly say that I didn’t know one fairport song when I first visited!!
To be honest the first year I felt a bit let down by them as an act(hows that for honesty)
The next couple of years I stayed to listen to them more out of respect for them for putting on a really good festival.
After about five years I found myself really appreciating them and really get the music,it certainly wasn’t an instant attraction
I don’t profess to know every song they play but can sing along to a dozen or more and enjoy ones I hear less frequently.
I’ve heard so many bands I’ve never listened to before and have ended up buying a couple of cds each year.

I like the festival because it has varied music with a folk bias
I’ve heard blockheads(punk?)
Alice cooper(hard rock)
Loads of folk(waterboys a fave)
Really good reggae bands
Great solo artists
Prog rock(not really me but I can appreciate it)
Bands I’d never heard but love Willie and the bandits,peatbog faeries,skinny lister(I also loved Ellen and the escapades who are sadly no more)
Each year there’s a new surprise
I may not remember the good old days(I’m sure they were and wish I’d been there) but I enjoy the festival for what it is now,what I know.

Here’s to another good one this year
Top music
Great food
Proper bar

Life’s not so bad!!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »

That will do very nicely, thank you. I'm liking the absence of prog and cover bands.

Where's the 'like' button? :-)

At least we have Fish covering his old prog band's album, for those of us who have a different point of view.  Tongue
Hmmm. Definitely need more prog....

... but I'd really like to see Mr Plant and his Space Shifters  Cheesy   pretty please!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »

Yes, that would be fine, I think.  Assuming they are sharing the same tent, I can't see how there would be any issue.  If you had a friend who wanted to erect another tent next to yours, that would probably be another question.

It's called a camping ticket, but it's really a parking ticket. You can have four people in a car with a tent each and only need one 'camping' ticket/sticker on your vehicle. The wife will essentially be a back packer and she will be able to camp for free, anyway. So she's covered either way, and as Will says, she'll most likely be sharing with hubby so jobs a good un.

edit: I'm, of course, with you on that, Bridg.

Well I never did..
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #352 on: February 12, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »

No longer a headliner imo but think The Stranglers would be great addition to the line up. First saw them in 1978 and they were awesome then (mind you I was only 16)...would fill the Buzzcocks/Blockheads spot methinks

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #353 on: February 12, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »

Thanks, just checking nothing had changed in my absence.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »

As long as she doesn't bring her own car or a tent the size of a marquee, she'll be fine

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »

Really hasn't done it for me this year I'm afraid, seen the Oysters plenty and apart from them I really do not like Kate Rusby, Al Stewart, The Levellers, Fish or Digance and am not keen of the current FC lineup simply knocking out their current tour set with a few extras. I am fully aware it is horses for courses and that others will - and clearly do - see this as a great line up but for me there is simply not enough I actually like to spend my hard earned on.

Have fun.

DW
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

I know where my towel is

« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »

What's not to like about Kate Rusby.

There are not that many God given naturally great Female Folk voices, Sandy had one , June Tabor has one and so does Kate.

Is it the Yorkshire Nationalism, Gods own country stuff?
Cause the voice is lovely , the band are good and the songs varied from self written to traditional and some with humour.

She'll do fine for me.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »

I'll wait until I see the full line-up/provisional running order, but at present, it looks like Saturday only for me.  Whoever follows the AfroCelts is going to have a tough time, I reckon.

Flobbadob!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »

Horses for courses, Trev - some you like, others you don't.

Don't go querying other's opinions, they're entitled to them. By all means ask what they don't like about them, but don't tell or intimate that they're wrong.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »

What's not to like about Kate Rusby.

There are not that many God given naturally great Female Folk voices, Sandy had one , June Tabor has one and so does Kate.

Is it the Yorkshire Nationalism, Gods own country stuff?
Cause the voice is lovely , the band are good and the songs varied from self written to traditional and some with humour.

She'll do fine for me.

Great music but talks way way too much, a bit like Donovan (except that the bullshit factor is much lower)

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: