TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:39:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2018 - Turns and Tickets  (Read 319974 times)
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »

I believe bands should tour to promote their album on their own time. At a festival you play the greatest hits and be done with it, maybe slip a couple “...from the new album” somewhere in the middle in case anyone needs to get to the bar and back.
I saw James a couple of years ago and they deigned to throw in ‘Sit Down’ because it was chucking it down and, as Tim Booth said - “You deserve it...”. I thought then, as I do now, that he was a pompous wanker who didn’t deserve my attention for a moment longer. And the new album was s**t.

YES famously played the whole of Topographic Oceans before it came out and the audience didn't understand it. They wanted Close to the Edge, Yours is no disgrace etc. Sometimes listening to a new album at home a few times helps 'get it'. Famously Queen won the hearts of the crowd at Live Aid because they understood that you just play hits and get off. I often wonder what the audience at Pink Floyd concerts made of Dark Side of The Moon before it was released!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »

Palomar Faith was announced for a load of festivals recently. Think she'd go down well on the Thursday!

That would mean I'd get Friday and Saturday tickets and stay on at the fringe on Thursday after watching Merry Hell

Agreed - Paloma Faith? No thank you

Born to Run (but not very fast)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »

Palomar Faith was announced for a load of festivals recently. Think she'd go down well on the Thursday!

That would mean I'd get Friday and Saturday tickets and stay on at the fringe on Thursday after watching Merry Hell

Another case where if she bangs out the hits it would be fun.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »

The Brasenose fringe is so good this year, I am seriously considering turning up just for that...

What are the very local camping options?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »

I believe bands should tour to promote their album on their own time. At a festival you play the greatest hits and be done with it, maybe slip a couple “...from the new album” somewhere in the middle in case anyone needs to get to the bar and back.
I saw James a couple of years ago and they deigned to throw in ‘Sit Down’ because it was chucking it down and, as Tim Booth said - “You deserve it...”. I thought then, as I do now, that he was a pompous wanker who didn’t deserve my attention for a moment longer. And the new album was s**t.

YES famously played the whole of Topographic Oceans before it came out and the audience didn't understand it.

I still don’t understand it! 😂😂

No Left Turn Unstoned
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »

The Brasenose fringe is so good this year, I am seriously considering turning up just for that...

Bridge Meadow opposite the shop is a good bet.  We've stayed there last 2 or 3 years.  It's basic but fine. Quite a few people staying there seem to only do the fringe.  

and the stars look very different today
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »

Another case where if she bangs out the hits it would be fun.

Great fun - doubt she'll be at Cropredy but she is really entertaining, The Architect is a mighty fine album too....

and the stars look very different today
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »

Can someone tell me who is playing the Brasenose fringe or where I can get the info? Thanks

StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2018, 07:32:15 PM »

This is the time I'm dreading now, waiting for the big announcement, and I really am feeling pessimistic that for Friday night they're going to announce some soft bland Americana; or a slightly funky pop band with hits no one remembers but hey the bassist does funny things with his thumb; or a singer-songwriter dressed like a dinnerlady and just as exciting; or some bloke who doesn't really sing but has produced lots of stuff for other people; or a new experimental band formed by the ex-drummer from Marillion; or a Duran Duran tribute band; or a dizzy blonde/redhead poppy popstar who can't seem to sing without ramming her voice through a computer.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic (Maybe I'm a glass half empty and the bar just closed kind of guy  Tongue ) but it seems to alternate with the years, and as last year was so amazing I've got a feeling this one may be a dud, and my excitement at the setlist as a whole will plunge instead of sky-rocketing.

Please, please, let me be wrong  Roll Eyes

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »

Can someone tell me who is playing the Brasenose fringe or where I can get the info? Thanks

http://www.brasenosearms.com/event/fffestival-2018/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2018, 08:21:05 PM »

http://www.brasenosearms.com/event/fffestival-2018/

Many thanks...some good stuff there!

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »

Divine Comedy worked well enough for me to buy the new album and some older ones and a couple of albums by his missus, and I only really knew one of the hits.

Just playing the hits is a big problem for those acts on the bill that haven't ever had any, or are newish bands that fall into the 'never heard of 'em' category.

Having said that, Dixie Bee Liners went down pretty damn well, despite being completely unknown to the vast majority of the crowd, if not all of them,...as did those Aussie fellers.

I'm still stumped how anybody ever gets to the 'Oooh - I know this one !' stage, if they only ever listen to stuff they are familiar with already. They've got to have heard those songs for the first time, and what better time to hear new stuff than at a festival ? Plonk yourself down, down some plonk, and listen to the music (all the tiiiiiiime), you'll like some, love some, some will be meh! you might even loathe some, but what the hey ??

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »

Just playing the hits is a big problem for those acts on the bill that haven't ever had any, or are newish bands that fall into the 'never heard of 'em' category.

Daylight hours are for discoveries. If you’re on after dark you’d better have a back catalogue that justifies it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:08 PM »

As succinct a precis of festival sets as one could want. Bravo, Skirky!

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »

Yeah Skirky, that's a good plan.
But you can still have a headline band that the majority of the audience haven't been aware of because they've had no hits, but they can still go down well because they can still have a strong back catalogue of quality music, performed well, hit single or not.

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »

Case in point is The Waterboys - four top forty ‘hits’, so not exactly troubling the Guinness Book of Hit Singles’ compilers overly much, whatever you think of their track record artistically. On their own tour they played pretty much all of their new (double) album with a few choice cuts thrown in. At the Summer festivals, it was exactly the reverse - solid back catalogue with a couple of newies dropped in mid set. Textbook.  Cool

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »

"Daylight hours are for discoveries. If you’re on after dark you’d better have a back catalogue that justifies it."

I certainly agree with the first part of this, maybe not the second. I want to look forward to Cropredy knowing that I'll enjoy some things, and especially knowing I'll enjoy the last acts and stumble back to tent with a warm glow. There's plenty of time in the afternoons for surprise discoveries, and I've had many very pleasant ones over the years. But I don't want to hope that the last act of the night is surprisingly good. I want to know I'll enjoy them. And that's not necessarily to do with back catalogue or recognisable hits - it's about it being the kind of band I want to hear. And the list I gave (some a historical reality, others an extension of this trend) is the kind of stuff I don't want to hear. And I just hope they're not what's announced in the near future....

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Sue & Chris

« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »

I see The Decemberists have got a new album coming out and are touring (in the US at least.) Come on, Gareth, make it so! For good measure, an Offa Rex double-header would do nicely.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »

Vikki C singing Tam Lin. The campaign starts here.   Cheesy

Vikki is in England, touring during Cropredy
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »

Vikki C singing Tam Lin. The campaign starts here.   Cheesy

Vikki is in England, touring during Cropredy

She's in the Brasenose on Cropredy Wednesday. I'll be there.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: