TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:35:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the best book about Fairport?  (Read 29283 times)
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 08:08:47 AM »

If you give me until Christmas next year I might be able to translate it.

Jen

Do you have a copy? Are you sure you could do it? I mean: 400 + pages....... Walter is looking for somebody to do it.
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

Loc: South Wales

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 08:34:47 AM »

Hiya!

Don't have a copy yet but I think I could translate it. If I reacall correctly, there are quite a few pages that are pictures only and others that have got names listed.
But yeah, it would be something I'd enjoy doing.

Jen

*Cropredy princess Wink *
(Hey! I have a custom title!!!!!)
you dream too much
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 12:20:30 PM »

Hiya!

Don't have a copy yet but I think I could translate it. If I reacall correctly, there are quite a few pages that are pictures only and others that have got names listed.
But yeah, it would be something I'd enjoy doing.

Jen

I´ll send you a copy. Believe me: It will be a lot of work  Shocked
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 01:35:58 PM »

Thanks Smiley
Will I be given a deadline? Or am I just translating it?
Maybe you could get in touch via IM Ulla?

Thanks,
Jen

you dream too much
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 03:35:49 PM »

Just finished "The Fairport Tour" by David Hughes (with additional photos by Colin Edwards  Wink )

I could wax poetical about the synergy between text and graphics and the effect that the book provides to the reader in describing the disperate feelings of playing, travelling and table tennis.

However, I will instead lavish the finest praise a man can give.

It's a great toilet book   Grin

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 02:07:20 PM »

Just finished "The Fairport Tour" by David Hughes (with additional photos by Colin Edwards  Wink )

It's a great toilet book   Grin

Especially the descriptions of the morning habits on a tour bus  Lips Sealed Grin
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 07:58:13 PM »

Thanks Smiley
Will I be given a deadline? Or am I just translating it?
Maybe you could get in touch via IM Ulla?

Thanks,
Jen
Hi Jenny, sorry my answer comes so late ! I love you for willing to translate my book. Of course it will have to be updated, and some informations being rewritten or corrected. My editor will of course be involved in it. And I do have to inform them about your plan. But anyway I think they will be very interested in it. If you really want to do it, I would supply the updates and corrections, of course, and you would translate the whole thing. It would be the first Fairport biography covering 1967 up to now. Wouldn't that be great? And we could add some great photographs from all the Cropredys since 1991 that I have made.
Cheers and big love from Stuttgart, Walter !
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 08:01:20 PM »

Yes, I really do mean it!
I would so love doing it and enjoy doing it most of all!

Just let me know what I need to know. Best is, if I IM you.

Jen (feeling very cheerful  Grin)

you dream too much
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 09:14:50 PM »

Yes, I really do mean it!
I would so love doing it and enjoy doing it most of all!

Just let me know what I need to know. Best is, if I IM you.

Jen (feeling very cheerful  Grin)
What does "IM" mean ? I'll get in contact with my editor this week. Let's see!
pauled

Loc: Swansea

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 10:41:47 PM »

Hi, Soon after i started this topic i had a look at the "Expletive Delighted" site as Barry had suggested and it seemed clear that the only reasonably up to date and comprehensive book was in German. This was a bit of a blow as my German is non existant[ in fact i spent quite a few years at school deliberatly not listening - which on reflection was stupid!]

I t's brilliant to see how the discussion is developing and i really hope that Walter and Jen can get it together to produce an English edition.

Please put me down for a copy when it comes off.

regards

Paul

A holiday, a holiday and the BEST one of the year!
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 11:05:36 PM »

HI Paul!

In fact, I've known Walter for a good few years now and it's funny that this question has not come up before.
I hope that you won't be the only one who wants to buy the book.

Walter, IM is instant message.
Anyway, let me know what the publisher thinks! I can't wait to get started.  Grin

Jen

you dream too much
KeithP

Loc: France and Italy

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2004, 09:11:27 AM »

This would definitely sell - you can put me down for several advance orders!
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2004, 12:58:41 AM »

HI Paul!

In fact, I've known Walter for a good few years now and it's funny that this question has not come up before.
I hope that you won't be the only one who wants to buy the book.

Walter, IM is instant message.
Anyway, let me know what the publisher thinks! I can't wait to get started.  Grin

Jen
Hi Jenny ! I've already contacted my publisher about your plans to translate the book. May I give him your mail adress in case he wants to get in contact with you personally?
Love, Walter !
Simon Withers

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on the value of the following item. I have a copy of 'Unscrapbooking' by Martyn Kenney...I have no idea if it has ever appeared on ebay for example. I am in an unfortunate position of needing to sell the majority of my record collection including a good many Fairport items and memorabilia...The 3 x Boot cassettes, AT2, Airing Cupboard tapes tape...and it is really difficult getting a realistic price worked out for the stuff...any advise will be appreciated...thanks.  
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »

I wonder if anyone could shed any light on the value of the following item. I have a copy of 'Unscrapbooking' by Martyn Kenney...I have no idea if it has ever appeared on ebay for example. I am in an unfortunate position of needing to sell the majority of my record collection including a good many Fairport items and memorabilia...The 3 x Boot cassettes, AT2, Airing Cupboard tapes tape...and it is really difficult getting a realistic price worked out for the stuff...any advise will be appreciated...thanks.  

Unscrapbooking is quite uncommon (even rare), but that doesn't mean it is worth a huge amount or is any good.  In my experience, even rareish Fairport memorabilia doesn't do very well on eBay.  An exception is the CDs of the Boot/AT2 series...the cassettes struggle.  Fwiw I'd suggest £25ish for the book and £10-20 for each of the cassettes (except the Airing Cupboard tapes which really - and perhaps surprisingly - isn't worth much at all, probably as it's been reissued on CD).  Obviously, in an auction anything can happen.  If you've got the nerve start at £0.99 and let things find their own value.  If not, then have a buy-it-now price but with a 'Best Offer'.  

ps for valuing music you can't do much better than a combination of Amazon market place, eBay (look at completed sales, not at what people are asking for things) and  http://www.discogs.com/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:08:08 AM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »

I presume nothing ever came of Jen's offer to translate Walter's book?  I don't think I ever saw that discussion - it was about 6 months before I joined Talkawhile (gosh, that means this summer must be my 10th anniversary here!).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »

Fairportfolio by Kingsley Abbott is really good

If you can find a copy

Jude

I have a copy of that. It's a nice book, if rather slim. Has a personal slant, iirc.

I risk making myself unpopular by liking the Fairport by Fairport book.

I do read quite a lot, but not many music related books.
Simon Withers

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:40 AM »

Unscrapbooking is quite uncommon (even rare), but that doesn't mean it is worth a huge amount or is any good.  In my experience, even rareish Fairport memorabilia doesn't do very well on eBay.  An exception is the CDs of the Boot/AT2 series...the cassettes struggle.  Fwiw I'd suggest £25ish for the book and £10-20 for each of the cassettes (except the Airing Cupboard tapes which really - and perhaps surprisingly - isn't worth much at all, probably as it's been reissued on CD).  Obviously, in an auction anything can happen.  If you've got the nerve start at £0.99 and let things find their own value.  If not, then have a buy-it-now price but with a 'Best Offer'.  

ps for valuing music you can't do much better than a combination of Amazon market place, eBay (look at completed sales, not at what people are asking for things) and  http://www.discogs.com/
[/quote]

...thanks for this...it is interesting looking at current prices on ebay for Unhalfbricking.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

Fairportfolio by Kingsley Abbott is really good

If you can find a copy

Jude

I have a copy of that. It's a nice book, if rather slim. Has a personal slant, iirc.

I risk making myself unpopular by liking the Fairport by Fairport book.

I do read quite a lot, but not many music related books.

I've  remembered I also have No More sad Refrains, not the Sandy biography, but a A4 book with pictures,  which I got  around the same time as Fairportfolio.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: