TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:40:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When FC played at Ian Anderson's barn  (Read 8949 times)
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« on: July 24, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »

There's probably not much chance of finding out more about this here, but I've recently remembered that in 1991, I was at a barn dance at Ian Anderson's house in Stokenchurch, to the west of London, where the music was provided by Simon and (I think) Peggy, with Beryl Marriott on piano and one or two other musicians. There must have been a fiddler, but I don't remember who it was.

It was a promotional event for Tull's Catfish Rising album, and I got to go because I was working at Capital Radio and the Chrysalis plugger who dealt with Capital knew I was a Tull fan. My main memories are of Anderson stalking around looking pissed off between interviews with various industry types (given the vibes he was giving off, I didn't feel minded to talk to him myself), and dancing a reel with Martin Barre and his extremely pretty daughter, who looked about the same age as me.

Odd, the things you suddenly remember that you hadn't thought about for decades.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »

There's probably not much chance of finding out more about this here, but I've recently remembered that in 1991, I was at a barn dance at Ian Anderson's house in Stokenchurch, to the west of London, where the music was provided by Simon and (I think) Peggy, with Beryl Marriott on piano and one or two other musicians. There must have been a fiddler, but I don't remember who it was.

It was a promotional event for Tull's Catfish Rising album, and I got to go because I was working at Capital Radio and the Chrysalis plugger who dealt with Capital knew I was a Tull fan. My main memories are of Anderson stalking around looking pissed off between interviews with various industry types (given the vibes he was giving off, I didn't feel minded to talk to him myself), and dancing a reel with Martin Barre and his extremely pretty daughter, who looked about the same age as me.

Odd, the things you suddenly remember that you hadn't thought about for decades.

If Beryl was involved it was almost certainly Swarb, I'd have thought anyway....he was always playing whenever I saw her playing with Fairport...either with the 'Big Band' or at Cropredy...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »

I have pictures from it in an early a new day mag.  If I find the time I will look if there is some info.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:39:57 AM »

If Beryl was involved it was almost certainly Swarb, I'd have thought anyway....he was always playing whenever I saw her playing with Fairport...either with the 'Big Band' or at Cropredy...

Although if it was 1991 which I believe was the year Weave The Mirror was released, it could have been Chris Leslie as well. In any case, sounds like an interesting event!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »

At New Year 1989 I was at a Fairport Ceilidh band concert in Gloucester at which they were joined by Beryl Marriott and her husband.  Pretty sure it was Ric who fiddled with them then.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »

That'd have been Roger Marriott. I know Beryl is no longer with us, what about Roger? He must be some age if still alive.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 10:53:59 AM »

At New Year 1989 I was at a Fairport Ceilidh band concert in Gloucester at which they were joined by Beryl Marriott and her husband.  Pretty sure it was Ric who fiddled with them then.

I thought both Swarb and Ric played on these dates...I saw a gig in Portsmouth the same year.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

I thought both Swarb and Ric played on these dates...I saw a gig in Portsmouth the same year.

I wish I could remember enough about the band that evening to say for certain.  But it was very early in my Fairport addiction, and I'm not sure that it would have stuck in my head if Swarb had appeared as well.  But I don't think he was there.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »

Well he definitely played in Portsmouth (as did all of the Maart band and Beryl and Roger).  It was very memorable as Swarb told me to F*** off when I said hello to him, a badge I've worn proudly ever since.  He was much friendlier the following week when I saw him with Martin in Wingham (I think) nr Canterbury.

It was a strange gig - it was a 'ceilidh' with a caller, but there was no room to dance.

Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

I have pictures from it in an early a new day mag.  If I find the time I will look if there is some info.

Quite excited at the thought that there are pictures still in existence. I'd love to see them, if you get the time. I might be in one of them!
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 04:43:21 PM »

Quite excited at the thought that there are pictures still in existence. I'd love to see them, if you get the time. I might be in one of them!

Oh sorry, that I excited you, I think the only picture was one of Peggy dancing with a girl....
I thought maybe there was also some text in that issue.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

Peggy got back to me with a memory - it was him, Swarb and Chris Leslie (no Simon), plus Beryl Marriott. They spent the day at Anderson's pheasant shoot. How 70s-rock-star-lord-of-the-manor is that?
folkfreak (Alexander)

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »

And today I found the A New Day issue. It was #47. But there are only two pics in it with no text at all.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »

Any chance you could scan the pics and post them here? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: