TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:54:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats all this then?  (Read 19287 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

It amazes me when when people say 'oh I don't look at Wikipedia it's all wrong' when they can put it right themselves..
Particularly artists who complain that the info is inaccurate..... it's very easy to correct.. Smiley

Have you read this... http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/mar/23/popandrock2 ...on this very subject?
There's easy, and there's 'easy'.   Roll Eyes

Well yes, I kind of had the same experience my self with my own page.. It's a bore having to look up where you said something in an online  interview, that proves you were doing whatever you were doing. I'm still having a problem proving I knitted scarves and dishcloths on stage, rather than socks (I can't knit socks...)
(I'll say it in the next interview I do and cite from that..  Grin)

Good article from the ever wonderous Mike Scott, it got me to thinking, what deams someone worthy of being included on wikipaedia?

Usually some one who is a fan of either the person or the genre in which they work, will set up the original article. If not well known enough or the Wiki powers that be think it's not notable, then the page will disappear..

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »

For instance, the Wikipedia entry on Nick Zala, who is the pedal steel player on SftBH's 'Tree' album concludes ; This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. (November 2007)
So, as I understand it, if he says that he played on the album, and we say that he played on the album, apparently they need a review mentioning that he's on the album before they're happy*. Equally, Jude may well claim that she knitted scarves on stage to no avail but, as she implies, if she mentioned in passing during an interview with R2 that she first met Simon Nicol when navigating the Lancaster bomber that he was piloting and it got posted online, that would presumably be a reliable third party publication?

*Whoever they might be.  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »

she first met Simon Nicol when navigating the Lancaster bomber that he was piloting

I always knew that simon and jude had a touch of the "right stuff" about them.
when did judy shave off the handlebar tach?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

For instance, the Wikipedia entry on Nick Zala, who is the pedal steel player on SftBH's 'Tree' album concludes ; This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. (November 2007)
So, as I understand it, if he says that he played on the album, and we say that he played on the album, apparently they need a review mentioning that he's on the album before they're happy*. Equally, Jude may well claim that she knitted scarves on stage to no avail but, as she implies, if she mentioned in passing during an interview with R2 that she first met Simon Nicol when navigating the Lancaster bomber that he was piloting and it got posted online, that would presumably be a reliable third party publication?

*Whoever they might be.  Roll Eyes

Yup Otherwise it might just be what they* call 'puffery' Grin

Still in the main it's a useful marketing tool and the editors do try to keep it encyclopaedia like, rather than just PR stuff..

It's quite a giggle reading some of the more famous celebrity entries history and see how hard the editors work keeping them free of extraneous graffiti.. Smiley

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

she first met Simon Nicol when navigating the Lancaster bomber that he was piloting

I always knew that simon and jude had a touch of the "right stuff" about them.
when did judy shave off the handlebar tach?

That had to go in '48 fB. My mother said I was too young..

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »

This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. (November 2007)

...and here's a good example of why references are, perhaps, useful, and why people who should know better should double-check them  Roll Eyes  Grin

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/10/balls_festival/

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 05:26:13 PM »

Getting back to the original topic...

This one's not only got "editors", it has a snazzy photo of the artist on the cover Huh
http://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Denny-Lambert-M-Surhone/dp/6131067392/

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
arie

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »

nevertheless, we learn a lot from the product descripton:
"She emerged in the mid 1960s while still a teenager"
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »

108 pages 51 bucks. Nice work if you can get it!! And who is that on the cover?
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 06:18:01 PM »

...and here's a good example of why references are, perhaps, useful, and why people who should know better should double-check them  Roll Eyes  Grin
Nick

A game I like to play with our local paper's website is to compare the description of any event, person or place of note with its Wiki entry. Paywall, schmaywall.  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »

Have you read this... http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/mar/23/popandrock2 ...on this very subject?

Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »

Eventually and after failing to make a single correction, he revealed his identity but the chap was unimpressed and it didn't make a ha'pporth of difference to him - Facts were facts and needed to be corroborated!  Artists' memories were abominably unreliable!

Mike Scott now thinks that he has been blessed with such a fastidious and diligent chronicler and has given up even pondering any corrections.    

I'm risking retelling one here: Paul Jones, leaving a Blues Band gig some time ago was signing autographs before getting into the van/limo. When offered an old LP sleeve to scrawl on by a "completist" he handed it back, on the very good grounds that it was a band he'd never even seen, let alone been a member of. "Never been in that one mate!"

The fan, with an insistent look in his eye, head cocked to one side, pushed it back to him, saying with immortal surety, "I think you'll find you were...."

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »

That's a link to the Mike Scott story. I believe the whole thing initially went on his blog (it might still be up on The Waterboys MySpace page) - this is the subsequent Guardian article on the affair.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 03:25:07 PM »

Martyn Joseph got stitched up on Wikipedia by one of his children Shocked

When he was interviewed, the host was apparently quoting the bogus facts at him, and flatly refusing to believe MJ when he denied them all  Roll Eyes

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: