TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two more London dates for RT  (Read 7130 times)
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« on: June 09, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

Monday 6 December, 2010  7.30pm
RICHARD THOMPSON
Philip Pickett & Musicians of the Globe
- Nutmeg & Ginger –

Philip Pickett director, recorder
Penelope Spencer violin, viola, rebec
Lynda Sayce lute, guitar
Elizabeth Pallett bandora, lute, cittern
Henrik Persson viol
With
Richard Thompson voice, Renaissance guitar

Programme:
Early music iconoclast Philip Pickett joins forces with folk legend Richard Thompson in a programme of spicy ballads, folk songs and dances from Shakespeare’s London.

With the internationally-renowned Musicians of the Globe they explore an eclectic mix of Elizabethan popular music from London's taverns, streets, coffee houses and private rooms, with a host of unusual instruments including violin, rebec, recorder, cittern, bandora, early guitar, viol and lute.

Tickets on sale now     http://www.cadoganhall.com/showpage.php?pid=1313

Friday 18 January 2011................
THE RICHARD THOMPSON BAND
     The Dream Attic Tour

Dream Attic is a brand new project comprising of songs written by Thompson during an inspired three-month outpouring. The material was recorded in real time during a series of West Coast shows with the latest line-up of the artist's electric band: Pete Zorn (guitars, flute, sax, mandolin), Michael Jerome (drums), Taras Prodaniuk (bass) and Joel Zifkin (violin, mandolin).

Thompson is among the most distinctive of guitar virtuosos, capable of breathtaking drama and sublime delicacy, prompting Rolling Stone to hail him as 'a perennial dark-horse contender for the title of greatest living rock guitarist'.

On sale to Southbank Centre Members at 10am on Thursday 10 June.
                                                   On general sale at 10am on Friday 11 June.
                                                         http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:12:06 PM »

See you at both of these!

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »

Thanks for the notice about the South Bank - will be poised over a keyboard tomorrow!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »

Tim, you might also be interested in this event

OBSERVER MELTDOWN DISCUSSION
Part of this year's Meltdown festival
Tuesday 15 June, 6.30pm

A special discussion featuring Meltdown director Richard Thompson and legendary producer Joe Boyd in conversation.

Admission to this event is free but you do require a ticket.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »

Thanks for that, Martin Smiley

I'd really like to see the one with Phil Pickett and so would daughter given that her dissertation was about the music, dance and traditions of Shakespearean drama, but that date is not looking good for us.  I wonder if there are any other performances planned - the only ones I can find are in Belgium and The Netherlands.

The Southbank website indicates that Dream Attic will be a tour but as they are unlikely to venture out this way, I'm going to try and get tickets for that show.  I'm not a member so will have to wait until tomorrow ... mmm ... should I get on line first thing or should I wait until the evening when we will be there for Cabaret of Souls Undecided
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

Tim, you might also be interested in this event

OBSERVER MELTDOWN DISCUSSION
Part of this year's Meltdown festival
Tuesday 15 June, 6.30pm

A special discussion featuring Meltdown director Richard Thompson and legendary producer Joe Boyd in conversation.

Admission to this event is free but you do require a ticket.

Thanks - I'll look into that.

I fought my way into the SBC booking system and managed to get tickets and then rushed off to a meeting that started at 10:00. Fortunately I can always plead the "urgent systems issues" excuse - which in some ways there was as the SBC didn't want to let me in at first. Anyway - safely ensconced so that is the first date in 2011 sorted!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »

Hello Katy's Mum, I have just checked the website again, @ 11.40 h.  The tickets are going quickly with about 50% of the front stalls already sold.
There remains almost 100% availability in the rear stalls and balcony. However for the best choice of tickets, I suggest you get on line at 10.00 in the morning. M
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »

Thanks.  Will do.
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:23 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place but there is an interview in today's Telegraph with Richard Thompson talking about Meltdown and music in general.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/7814580/Meltdown-Richard-Thompson-interview.html
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place but there is an interview in today's Telegraph with Richard Thompson talking about Meltdown and music in general.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/7814580/Meltdown-Richard-Thompson-interview.html

Fantastic. Not least for Cliffdos1's lengthy response to the article.  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »

Fantastic. Not least for Cliffdos1's lengthy response to the article.  Grin

Not exactly an RT fan is he? Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:55 AM »

Tickets purchased for both shows: I think we might have to live on bread and water for the next few months! Daughter was so keen to see the one with Phil Pickett and the Musicians of the Globe that we decided to clear the calendar for that date and think about the logistics nearer the time.

I think this was the wrong place for my link to yesterday's Telegraph (sorry Martin) so will ask a mod to move it.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »

Could this be a prelude to a Bones of all Men reunion? I always regarded that as being one of the best Fairport albums ever - or was that an Albion reunion without Ashley, or was it a Phil Pickett album?? I give up Cry
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:41 PM »

I think this is son of Bones........

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: