TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would they say on Bethnal Street?  (Read 18412 times)
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »

Been listening to "Rosemary's Sister". Lovely song, well performed. Little girl's younger sister gets killed in the blitz. The rest of the street seem to get over it. Rosemary, many years later, whilst waiting for the school to turn out and pick up her own daughter, decides that if there's "another one", then the end will be complete. I assume that means another war. But then, by way of apparent contrast, the narrator wonders what they'd say in Bethnal Street. As mentioned, previously, in Bethnal Street, after the tragedy described, they'd started off all anew. Which is a pretty good East End reaction. So what would they say, if confronted with the latter day Rosemary?
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:35:01 AM »

Isn’t it funny how we interpret songs in completely different ways.  I’ve always assumed that the line, “She knows if there’s another one the end will be complete,” meant that if Rosemary had another child then things would have come full circle.  But don’t take too much notice of me: I’m probably wrong – I often am!

I think of this song as being as much about families and how they cope with adversity as about war … mother of disaster, sister of our fate … father of confusion and brother of debate …

My mother in law was a child during the Blitz and lived around the corner from Bethnal Street. She shared a bed with her older sister and was so frightened she used to sleep with her little finger hooked through the loop on the back of her sister’s pyjamas.  Her childish reasoning was that if one of them were ‘taken’ they would both go together and not be alone.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like.  I have a huge respect for that generation.

Despite the criticisms that this song is over sentimental, I think it is worth much more.  

Mind you, I only have to hear the introduction and I'm off ...

... and when Simon starts to sing ... well ... that's it!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:26:30 AM »

Oh, c'mon - it's not that bad.   Roll Eyes

Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 09:24:41 AM »

Isn't it funny how we interpret songs in completely different ways. I've always assumed that the line, “She knows if there’s another one the end will be complete,” meant that if Rosemary had another child then things would have come full circle.  But don’t take too much notice of me: I’m probably wrong – I often am!

I think of this song as being as much about families and how they cope with adversity as about war … mother of disaster, sister of our fate … father of confusion and brother of debate …

My mother in law was a child during the Blitz and lived around the corner from Bethnal Street. She shared a bed with her older sister and was so frightened she used to sleep with her little finger hooked through the loop on the back of her sister’s pyjamas.  Her childish reasoning was that if one of them were ‘taken’ they would both go together and not be alone.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like.  I have a huge respect for that generation.

Despite the criticisms that this song is over sentimental, I think it is worth much more.  

I must admit I have the same sentiments on all of KM:s points. It's often difficult to get the true meaning of a song lyric when it's not in your mother language, but my thoughts were also on another child. I have always felt that RS was a very sensitive song with a very earnest lyric that stood way above sentimentality, as we commonly define it. When I have been going to Fairport gigs the last 8 or 9 years I've always hoped that it would be included in the repertoire and I've been very happy that it's been played. And Simon sings- and plays- it beautifully! I hope it's still on the set list next time I see Fairport in a smaller context.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »

I love this song - I am always glad when Simon plays it.  

I tried looking up Bethnal Street on Google maps but it didn't seem to exist - (maybe it was bombed out of existence) .

I know that there is some criticism of the line about the doodlebugs flying and the blitz being at its height - because the doodlebugs came after the blitz had finished  - but I always think its a  song not a blinking history lesson !
Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 10:49:22 AM »

Did a Bethnal Street exist?  I thought it was a made up name for the various streets in Bethnal Green that got hit by missiles and the Tube Station disaster of 1943?  All my cockney relatives are now sadly deceased so I can't ask them, but I would be interested to know if Bethnal Street existed.
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:16:27 PM »

Did a Bethnal Street exist?  I thought it was a made up name for the various streets in Bethnal Green that got hit by missiles and the Tube Station disaster of 1943?  All my cockney relatives are now sadly deceased so I can't ask them, but I would be interested to know if Bethnal Street existed.

You might well be right, Curt.  I am from the North East and husband wasn't born in the East End.  I've just heard my mother in law and other elderly relatives talking about street and road names from time to time and I thought I'd heard that one mentioned or something similar.  I'll see if I can find out.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 12:59:46 PM »

There's one in Sheffield.

While we're on this kind of subject. is there a Cauldrum Street? With a steamie?
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 02:15:45 PM »

There's one in Sheffield.

While we're on this kind of subject. is there a Cauldrum Street? With a steamie?

Ask Richard Thompson. He knows.

RichardH

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »

That's an interesting one that hadn't struck me. Another war? Or another child?

What do other people think?
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

My interpretation was that if there was another war, it would be nuclear bombs this time and therefore no chance for the survivors to get up and get on with it again.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 07:26:53 PM »

I looked up Bethnal Street on a few old London Street index (for a laugh!)and can't find a reference only to
Bethnal Green and Bethnal Green Road. So probably as Curt says a made up name for the area.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »

There is no reference to London in the lyrics, so it could be set somewhere else  Huh Maybe Coventry, or even Shefield, where there is a Bethnal Street. Just a thought  Smiley

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »

My interpretation was that if there was another war, it would be nuclear bombs this time and therefore no chance for the survivors to get up and get on with it again.

I like to think of the song as being more hopeful than that.  Maybe Rosemary is wondering if the people in Bethnal Street would approve of her ending because when at last the darkness clears and the sun comes shining through, you dust it off and start it all anew.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:39:00 PM by Katys Mum » Logged
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 08:37:54 PM »

There is no reference to London in the lyrics, so it could be set somewhere else  Huh Maybe Coventry, or even Shefield, where there is a Bethnal Street. Just a thought  Smiley

I'm guessing here, but Huw Williams, author, is probably Welsh and would seem to have no particular reason to write a song about Sheffield or Coventry.  On the other hand, the East End people are famous for their reaction to the Blitz.

I think Huw invented Bethnal Street because it sounds better than Bethnal Green Road and is meant to represent an area and an attitude.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:27 PM »

Huw is Welsh, and currently plays with Crasdant.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

I love this song, although can't listen to it or sing it without blubbing. I think it shows Simon at his best, both as a singer and an acoustic guitarist Was it originally a Simon solo number?

I have always assumed that the end means that there will be no survivors after another war.

Paul

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 08:18:43 AM »

It was on Simon's first solo album "Before Your Time".

Flobbadob!
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »

I´m always in tears when they play it  Embarrassed
RichardH

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »

...plucked some strings with this one, then!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: