TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:01:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What If ...: Ashley Hutchings' return to FC in 1970  (Read 6854 times)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« on: August 19, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »

Now here's one of the great What If's. I never actually heard anything about this until I read it in the biography of Ashley Hutchings by Geoff Wall and Brian Hinton from 2002, which I'm rereading right now.

page 149/150-
(Ashley:) "I remember immediately after I formed Steeleye, visiting the Fairport lads when they reformed at The Angel in Little Hadham, and having a quiet chat with Richard and Simon saying "I really miss not being in the band anymore. I'd love to be involved. Can I rejoin Fairport? Is there still a place for me?". And that smacks of someone who made some kind of grand gesture out of an emotional expression. I had left the family, felt homesick and wanted to get back into it. They were very diplomatic, but they'd gone too far and had got their solid new group. I'd gone off with Steeleye. It was a mixed up emotional thing.
The door was firmly shut. That was both fair and absolutely right. I had to stand on my own two feet."

(...)
A little later the authors write "Neither Richard or Simon can remember Ashley asking to rejoin Fairport. Simon pondered "perhaps he asked Dave Pegg whether he could come back". Richard recalled "Ashley wanted to bring Terry and Gay (Woods) into the band. We thought that was unworkable".

Now that is an interesting bit of previously untold stuff (well not until the bio that is). It's clear from the biography that despite being on a creative high, in the middle of making legendary albums by Fairport and Steeleye, Ashley was in a rather confused state of mind following the May 1969 car crash. Quite understandable. And it would have looked silly - getting Dave Pegg in and setting up the Full House band, only for Peggy to be ousted again so that the bassist he replaced could return to the fold - and, according to RT, bringing with him Terry and Gay Woods. It's silly to actually do a What If here because, well, it didn't happen and it wasn't much more than a thought.

Ashley concludes "I was saying "I miss you and actually I'd like to be back again". Sandy would have probably said the same and indeed a few years later she did rejoin Fairport. I haven't felt it since. I felt that the gulf was too wide in recent years. I'm very happy with what I've been able to do with the Albions".

NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »

did you (or anyone else out there who would like to reply) pick up the 2nd volume of this biography at Cropredy?  My understanding was that it was on CD-Rom or somesuch, as they haven't found a publisher for the print version.  I'm very interested in reading the second volume, as I felt they did a nice job with the first volume.  I'm just a bit hesitant to buy a book that I have to read on computer, but I understood it was supposed to have a lot of extra photos and such that won't be in the print version, so I'd love to see a review of it if anyone did purchase it.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:38:03 AM »

Actually I emailed Ashley about this and he writes "With regard to my biography, 2nd part - we can only hope at this stage that it may come out in book form, but I would get the disc just in case. It's
very well put together, with 400 illustrations!".
I agree with you Neil, I'm hesitant at buying a CD-Rom "book", I'd hate reading a book on the computer. But if that's the only way it becomes available then, I guess, so be it. But then a book version can't hold 400 photos ... but I'd buy a book for the text. Indeed: did anyone pick this up at Cropredy?
Simon Withers

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:18:09 AM »

I purchased a copy of the CD Book from Ashley while he was undertaking a signing at the Friends of Fairport stand on the Friday Afternoon. What a absolute delight it was to meet him and great gentleman. I have not had any opportunity to look at the CD as yet but hopefully I will have time in the next couple of weeks.

If Ashely had rejoined Fairport we may never have got 'Rise up like the Sun.' and we may never have the fairport history that we have. May be even the Cropredy festival would never have existed. If there are any time travelers out there perhaps you can tell us what it was like if Ashley had joined Fairport again.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »

If Ashely had rejoined Fairport we may never have got 'Rise up like the Sun.' and we may never have the fairport history that we have.

Indeed. No Dave Pegg would have meant no Cropredy, nor indeed a Fairport beyond the 70s. Or maybe not even beyond 1970 with headstrong characters like Swarb and Ashley in one band.
No Steeleye! Acck. On the plus side though, no All Around My Hat either  Fez
Here I go with a silly What If though ... didn't mean to.  

But good that Ashley did go his own way after all. I am of the opinion that of all (ex-) members of Fairport his work is the most interesting and varied. Not always with the grandest results maybe - but often producing gems along the way. He did go down unexplored, unexpected and strange roads - still does actually.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »

It's usually been a blow when members leave, particularly RT, Sandy and Maart, but the more ex-members the more interesting Cropredy becomes ; and the more available product!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

i have  sneaking feeling that having discovered what a bass monster they had recruited in peggy
ashley's request may have had to be politely turned down

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

In the book that comes with the Burning Bright set there is a similar mention of Ashley wanting to rejoin Fairport during a low period after the first version of Steeleye split.  In other interviews I have seen Ashley has spoken of having some regrets over quitting the band.

If ever Peggy quits, I hope Ashley gets a few years to be their bass player again.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »

But good that Ashley did go his own way after all. I am of the opinion that of all (ex-) members of Fairport his work is the most interesting and varied. Not always with the grandest results maybe - but often producing gems along the way. He did go down unexplored, unexpected and strange roads - still does actually.

I revere the Albion Band(s) as being a genuine college of Folk/rock music. Just look at the catalogue of talent that passed through it over the years. Something for all of us, I am sure.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:25 PM »

I revere the Albion Band(s) as being a genuine college of Folk/rock music. Just look at the catalogue of talent that passed through it over the years. Something for all of us, I am sure.

Yeah, it's a bit like John Mayall's Bluesbreakers but then multiplied by 100, personnelwise - as being a kind of springboard. Some of them went to wonderful new pastures or straight into established other bands - Phil Beer, Ken Nicol, Chris/Kellie While, Julie Matthews, and that's only from more recent years. Others, like the wonderful fiddler Ashley Reed, have kind of sunk into obscurity for whatever reason but luckily were allowed to shine for a while, quite prominently too, in The Albion band. The way Ashley had the guts to even abandon Albion ship and start a whole new band with youngsters in recent years is wonderful. I know the Rainbow Chasers aren't for everyone but I for one find them a great band. I've followed everything Ashley Hutchings did with great interest and will continue to do so.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:03:10 PM »

Yeah, it's a bit like John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

Only, quite good....  Roll Eyes

Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
terryg

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 06:18:34 PM »

Anyone know where you can pick up a copy of the Ashley CD -ROM?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 06:56:27 PM »

I got one from the man himself at Crops.. bit late now though to tell you that...

Have a look on his website..

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: