TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the First Fairport Album that you Brought/Heard?  (Read 31683 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2007, 06:37:47 PM »

First album bought = the 'History" double, on vinyl complete with ribbon! (I'd already got R<'s "Bright Lights" and decided against "Henry" because of the apparent absence of fab female vocals and thought I'd check out his old band!)

First contemporaneous line up heard = a TV session by the "Rising for the Moon" incarnation.

First live line-up heard = the "Gottle o'Geer" lot playing the much missed Friars Aylesbury club. Pleasant enough but I was more into R< and the Albions - but a few years later, I caught the "Farewell" tour at Sunderland Poly where they played MOTL after a long gap....and I was hooked!

Wow, it would have been quite something to have gone to the Farewell tour. Welcome to Talkawhile (known on here as TAW)

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Scousertommy (Ian)
Talking a good game

Loc: Stockport

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »

I found Nine in a record shop second hand in 1978. Had been a Maddy Prior groupie for a while after she danced with me ( I didn't know she danced with everyone!!) at Southport Theatre in the early /mid 70's. when I went to college in Manchester I couldn't afford new records so bought a few second hand ones from "the eighth day" co-operative.  Still have them. Reminded me of where I belonged - they were Fairport Nine, Pentangle- Basket of Light and Bert Jansch - LA Turnaround
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »

After being enthralled with "Fog on the Tyne (pre Gazza - 1989) - my first foray into Folk Rock, I took "What we did in our Holidays" out of Central Library, St Helens.  This was followed a week or two later by Red and Gold.

"Bloody hell - sounds nothing like the other one!"

By then hooked............

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=1471.msg110412#msg110412

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Linda Watkins
too loud and lairy for 'em

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »

This is a really weird coincidence, I nearly wore a hole through the vinyl of Fog on the Tyne - before I got into Fairport via What we did on our Holidays... cue spooky music.... although Red and Gold was an album I got much much later for some reason.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »

This is a really weird coincidence, I nearly wore a hole through the vinyl of Fog on the Tyne - before I got into Fairport via What we did on our Holidays... cue spooky music.... although Red and Gold was an album I got much much later for some reason.

Hello Linda! Nice to see a new face.  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2007, 08:29:21 PM »

Can't help feeling Red & Gold would have been a disconcerting place to start, both in terms of quality (title track aside) and being representative. I can understand the shock of the contrast between that & WWDOOH though. I had much the same experience with Five Seasons & Liege & Lief.
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2007, 09:26:19 PM »

Oh blimey, I seem to have been here before......

Heard  - Like others, heard wee bits on Peely's Top Gear in 1968. Wunnerful Radio 1 was fizzy AM, so they didn't really register, also the tranny kept falling in the bath (I wished he'd stop doing it). Turned out friend Rod (the sod, not the Mod) owned a copy of What We Did On Our Holidays.

"Oh yeah, Fairport Convention, heard em on the wireless, American aren't they?" Perused LP front cover - "whaaaat the HELL is this?? What are Standell amps? Hey look, they are plugged into electricity pylons!" Then looked at the back - "Ooh, that little bird singing looks nice, what  a lovely dress. And those chaps look pretty cool. And what's that dog doing lying in the middle?".

Played it - "Good stuff, haven't heard these Dylan songs before." Taped it (reel to reel 7 1/2 IPS). Realised I really loved it.

Bought  - Unhalfbricking. Finally realised which one Richard Thompson was. Could not believe how good and varied the songs were. Fell in love with Sandy.

And there we are, nearly 40 years later, see you at Cropredy  Wink    

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
rosied

Loc: NYC

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2007, 07:50:38 PM »

I was browsing through the 'F' section in the Notting Hill Record and Tape Exchange in the mid 70s when I came across this album called "Rosie" and had to get it for obvious reasons .

Loved it, decided to explore further, and bought "History of..." Was hooked, and "History of..." was one of the first batch of cds I bought when I finally got round to upgrading.

Unfortunately, since I was never much of a gig-goer when I was living in the UK, I didn't actually get round to seeing FC live until the "Jewel in the Crown" tour at the late-lamented Bottom Line in NYC. Have been kicking myself at intervals ever since.

Rosie

PS The first 2 times I spoke to Ric, when I told him my name he said "We've done an album with your name" (or something like that)
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »

First one heard would have been L and L specifically Tam Lin which you would hear on underground FM and being about 13 found it very spooky sounding, liked it alot, wondered how they had developed the capability to go several hundred yrs back in time to make a recording. First one bought was Movable Feast, next was Gottle O Geer cause I liked the cover  but not its contents which tempered my interest until the Peggster joined Tull and moreso until Martin A and Ric joined Fairport

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: