TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:27:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the First Fairport Album that you Brought/Heard?  (Read 31692 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »

My first FC album was Unhalfbricking. On vinyl. Then followed a disgracefully long gap before I started playing CD "catch up" about five years ago. Roll Eyes Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »

first i ever heard was liege and Lief closely followed by Babbacombe lee. My dad had the albums and played them to death- i've been a fan ever since Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »

The first one I bought was In Real Time (which I really thought was live until last year) and is still one of my favourites. Definitely the best version of Hiring Fair IMHO.  Smiley

Then I saw FC on their 1990 Wintour and bought Five Season which I also enjoyed a lot, but I then bought WWDOOH the same year which I wasn't so keen on (have since revisited it 15 years later and am pleased to report that my tastes have matured and I like it now!).

Like GF I'm now playing catchup and thoroughly enjoying the process!!  Grin   Babbacombe Lee is my current favourite.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »

Five Seasons is GREAT!! I picked it up from a 2nd hand CD store that was closing down (not sure if it's currently available "new").  

Talking Elephant reissued it in 2001 (in a rather horrible sleeve! Angry Restore the original I say). It is available on their website.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 03:36:33 PM »

Then I saw FC on their 1990 Wintour and bought Five Season which I also enjoyed a lot, but I then bought WWDOOH the same year which I wasn't so keen on (have since revisited it 15 years later and am pleased to report that my tastes have matured and I like it now!).

WWDOOH  Huh I will know this and I'll kick myself and It'll hurt

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »

What we did on our holidays...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

OUCH!! That hurt  Cry  Embarrassed  Wink

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2007, 04:10:44 PM »

L&L on tape from Petersfield Library in circa. '79 (borrowed Pentangling the same day and my mate Joel Renbourn suddenly pointed out to me that his Dad was in them.  I had no idea!)

Then got The History of on tape, and completed the first 5 before seeing them for the first time at Wimbledon Theatre at one of their Jan gigs in the early 80's.  Came home with the Attic Tapes from that one.  And on and on it went...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2007, 04:18:05 PM »

I remember buying  -" History of FC " -on vinyl,(ages ago ) you know the one with a pretty ribbon and family tree on the cover .
Long since lost,. But not worried  as I  try not to buy  "Best Of`s / ultimate collections/greatest hits ,,etc " usually .
"Live "albums I do buy/enjoy . .
 All the tracks are on their   proper LP`s which I bought at a later date  anyhow Fez .

You are what you eat !!!
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »

1972 Nottm College of Pirate Education, Babbacombe Lee. That was the first one I remember hearin. But I reckon I must have heard earlier stuff as I knew the name well.

What is very annoying is that around that time Fairport played Nottm Uni with Sandy..... would love to have seen her.. Cry

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »

1972 Nottm College of Pirate Education, Babbacombe Lee. That was the first one I remember hearin. But I reckon I must have heard earlier stuff as I knew the name well.

What is very annoying is that around that time Fairport played Nottm Uni with Sandy..... would love to have seen her.. Cry

If we're talking about the same gig...it's a couple of years later...

Fairport Convention
Nottingham University
27 November 1974

1.   Down In The Flood
2.   Rising For The Moon
3.   Solo
4.   Toss The Feathers
5.   It'll Take A Long Time
6.   The Brilliancy Medley
7.   One More Chance
8.   The Hexhamshire Lass
9.   Fiddlestix
10.   All Along The Watchtower
11.   Sloth
12.   Six Days On The Road
13.   Matty Groves

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »

First CD heard was History, first CD bought was History, a few years later L&L followed.  Borrowed WATW from the library and put it back, fairly quick.  Though I am likely to buy it sometime soon.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »

I bought Leige and Lief sometime in the mid 1980's. It was before I saw em open for Tull in 1986/87/88 era. The cd changed my life in a way. It and Below the salt pulled me far into the celtic/traditional/ folk area. I had always been fascinated with the sound from Tull's Songs from the woods or Gentle Giants medieval sound. But Liege and Leif opened up the world of traditional music with a ballsy sound. Not your singer songwriter warbing on stage (not that that is bad) I look back on that day with great happiness.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »

I heard Who Knows Where The Time Goes on the radio back in about 1976 or so and loved it straight away.  I had taped it but I lost the tape a few months later.  I eventually got the track again on a Q Magazine freebie in about 2003 or so (whenever the remaster came out), and then my brother bought me Unhalfbricking a while later.  It took me far too long to chase up that initial love affair with WKWTTG but I've been catching up ever since.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »

the first album i bought was "Angel Delight" as it was the first lp that came out after i had started working for my current employer, and i couldnt afford lp's up to then
 so i did a bit of catching up and its been downhill all the way ever since

The Dude abides
Dr Monk

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 08:18:33 PM »

My parents had 'History' and often used to play it so it was always there in the background.
It's much more their era than mine, but as I hit my teens and started to play the guitar I became much more interested in the music of the late sixties/early seventies than the **** that was in the charts and raided their collection a lot. I was particularly interested in rock history and, as a complete anarak, was taken with the Pete Frame family Tree on the cover. I probably knew all the line-ups before I got round to listening to a second album..
Thor-Rune

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2007, 09:17:31 PM »

The first track I heard was "Genesis hall" which someone had the good sense to play on national radio in Norway in 1969. My first Fairport LP was "Full house", which I bought as a 14 year old. Still my favourite FC album.
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2007, 09:37:21 PM »

Babbacombe Lee was my first back in about 1972 ish I guess. Groovy tunes
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2007, 10:55:13 PM »

I think it was the 25th anniversary box set of CDs, I can't find anything else.

Favourite of those is Babbacombe Lee.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »

I know i had heard a few cuts of the earliest albums on the radio( in the late 60's Boston was an excellent place for music!!)but didn't hear a complete album til Aug 1970---my first week at college--a friend played L&L for me. I was hooked. Barely waited to buy all the texts I needed before splurging a good hunk of my limited funds on L&L,WWDOOH.  I think FC take up the most space on our music shelf now even without counting in the ones by RT, RandLT, Sandy etc.
Saw them first in London, autumn 1972, then not again til they made the long trek up to Maine on the XXXV tour.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: