TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:29:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the First Fairport Album that you Brought/Heard?  (Read 31682 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« on: April 13, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »

The first track that i heard of Fairport's was the XXXV version of Portmeirion. I then borrowed the CD from my teacher who played it to us. But the first album I brought was Some of Our Yesterdays 1985 - 1996.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »

My big brother had what we did on our holidays so whatever the first track on side one of that was
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

House Full, on vinyl some time in the 80s (still got it somewhere), so Sir Patrick Spens was probably the first FC track I ever heard.  I never bought any more until my first Cropredy.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »

The first album was Expletive Delighted before I really knew who Fairport were, had always been in the Steeleye camp.  Quite liked it, but the CD that really did it for me (takes a deep breathe, wait for it)  THE WOOD AND THE WIRE. Grin

Not been for a while
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 02:19:22 PM »

The first album was Expletive Delighted before I really knew who Fairport were, had always been in the Steeleye camp.  Quite liked it, but the CD that really did it for me (takes a deep breathe, wait for it)  THE WOOD AND THE WIRE. Grin

I don't see what people have got against The Wood and the Wire and XXXV, I think they're fantastic albums! I like XXXV more that TWATW. I wish they'd do more from it at Cropredy and on Tour

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »

Wood & Wire - dodgy copy given to me by my father after he and my mother dragged me to a gig in Croydon one Wintour...  Would've been what, the early 2003 wintour?  2004 was my first Cropredy - Tull tipped the balance!  Haven't looked back (well, not before 1985!) since  Tiara

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 02:20:23 PM »

Liege & Lief in december 1969. It was only vinyl then. Grin. Picked it up while browsing through "New arrivals". The cover looked weird but reading the small print on the back, it seemed like an electric band with a violin player. Sounded interesting and the rest is history.... Wink
Staffan
who since has never looked back

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

I came late to Fairport via a slightly circuitous route as has been documented elsewhere and I can't quite remember. I think the first track I heard was Si Tu Dois Partir from an Island various artists compilation in the early 80s. Then probably Time Will Show The Wiser on Guitar,Vocal. Other than that though I saw Fairport live before I ever heard an album. My first was In Real Time, bought (& signed) immediately after a gig. Quickly followed by Liege & Lief & then Five Seasons.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »

The first track I ever heard was Tam Lin (played on WBCN, a Boston, MA station, on Halloween in the early 70s). I never heard who the group playing it was, but I knew I loved the guitar work and the fiddle was somewhat exotic, given that I was a pimply teenager who listened exclusively to hard rock at the time.
Several years later, I found out that an "obscure" group named Fairport Convention had done the song. But that's all I knew until I started exploring British folk rock a few years ago, leading to my purchase of Liege and Lief on CD. Subscribing to Rhapsody allowed me to explore more of the catalog, and now, the BBC set is hopefully on its way to my CD player.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

Si tu dois partir on the radio when it was in the charts. (Being an old boy Grin)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 02:40:21 PM »

First album I heard (and then went out & bought) was a friend's copy of "Angel Delight", in 1971. Then JBL when it came out, then the back catalogue as it then stood.  From then on - it was every FC album as they escaped were released.  And Swarb's solo LPs. And Richard's. And Sandy's.

First time I'd seen FC was on "Granada Reports" - must have been late 60s(?) - performing (or maybe miming to) MOTL.

Flobbadob!
claire

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »

Mine was The Five Seasons, bought after I had first seen/heard Fairport at Cropredy 1990.  After that I bought History of Fairport Convention to catch up on the "old" Fairport, and thence onto various others in no particular order!

I don't think I have heard Five Seasons since about 1995 when my tape got chewed up in the car.  Have never replaced it.....  Embarrassed (one or two good tunes on there, though, I seem to remember?...Discuss....  Undecided)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »

I don't think I have heard Five Seasons since about 1995 when my tape got chewed up in the car.  Have never replaced it.....  Embarrassed (one or two good tunes on there, though, I seem to remember?...Discuss....  Undecided)

No discussion necessary. Still one of my favourites of "late" era Fairport. Claudy Banks, Mock Morris 90, Gold, Sock In It, The Wounded Whale. Definitely replace it I say! Smiley
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:52:18 PM »

Oh right! I had forgotten that I had been able to borrow a vinyl copy of JBL from the local library back in the 80s sometime! I've never heard the album since then!  Cry
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »

Five Seasons is GREAT!! I picked it up from a 2nd hand CD store that was closing down (not sure if it's currently available "new").  It's got Ginnie and Wounded Whale on it, not to mention Gold and All Your Beauty...  Worth getting hold of again

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »

The first time I saw or heard Fairport was when they did "Time will show the wiser" on TV, as featured on some documentaries (It all comes round again etc). I bought the second album (Holidays) when it came out and then got the first (a rare mono copy) second hand from a guy called Richard Thompson!! He idolised RT and wanted a stereo copy so he could isolate one channel and listen to the solos better. I've bought every other album pretty much as they were issued including CD reissues (apart from a few of the compilations).
Harsh cries of anorak...

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 03:09:38 PM »

(PS Ollie, the pedant in me has won the fight again - the title should be the "...First Fairport Album you Bought/Heard"...)

Just trying to be educational...

Coat on, heading for door...

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 03:16:29 PM »

(PS Ollie, the pedant in me has won the fight again - the title should be the "...First Fairport Album you Bought/Heard"...)

Just trying to be educational...

Coat on, heading for door...

That's not the first time someone has got me on my speeling.  Wink I knwo that I can;t spekl ot use puntuation and I type very quicly sometimes!!

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 03:18:57 PM »

That's OK, I do try to fight the pedant but sometimes he's just too strong (and yes, he's definitely a he!)

I'm just grateful you're not typing in txt spk... Wink

OK, back on topic please...

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 03:24:20 PM »

mine was jewel in the crown borrowed from the library in about 2000, quickly followed by a live gig and my first cropredy Grin

it'll be fine.......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: