TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:42:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happened to Vikki Clayton?  (Read 10635 times)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« on: August 15, 2006, 08:36:21 AM »

"I now have a new album called Looking at the Stars", it reads on Vikki Clayton's website. I believe this was released in 2001? One album surfaced after that, called Live ... 2002 or so? She sang with Fairport on the 35th Anniversary Cropredy, and for years and years before that she was a regular on -and near- the Cropredy stage. Two fantastic gigs at Cropredy Church come to mind, and one or two Vikki band warmups at the Mill which included Ric Sanders and Jerry Donahue amongst a load of others. She had fab bands inc Clive Bunker, Fred T Baker and Liam Genocky and was pretty much a piece of the Cropredy furniture. What happened after Cropredy 2002? I don't think I've seen her since - or heard anything about her even. The website www.vikkiclayton.co.uk seems to have been silent for years. Under 'gigs' it says "Lazy bones!". Is that the simple reason? It seems that the Cropredy/FC stage spot which pretty much was hers for a couple of years has been taken over by Chris While - which is fine, you can only fill the Sandy Denny spot for so long - but she was a fine artist in her own right (with as far as I'm concerned the highpoint being the Movers & Shakers album from ... 1995?). So ... missing person alert! Where's Vikki Clayton?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 08:49:08 AM »

There was a post here a couple of weeks ago, you may be able to trawl through and find. Something about touring Germany, I thnk.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 09:13:17 AM »

Vikki appeared at the lst Big Session Festival in 2005 at De Montford Hall and was there again this year as children's entertainer!!

She appeared at the local Folk Club earlier this year and was excellent.  Smiley

[attachment deleted by admin]

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
derekrach

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:19:31 AM »

She is alive and well and still singing superbly. She did one of many gigs at the Ride a Cock Horse Folk Club, Banbury in July this year and she has also played with her band and sung solo at previous Banbury Canalside Folk Festivals. We wil most certainly be booking her again. Why she is not the darling of Cropredy any more - who knows ?  Angry
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »

There is reasonably recent news here
http://www.btinternet.com/~unclechristo/vikki.html
Including the fact that she is recording a new album at the moment  Smiley

Happy mainly.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:46:28 AM »

Oh good :-) so it's really just her website being not updated very much, and the fact that she hasn't recorded any new studio album since Looking At The Stars ... plus her apparently being out of the Cropredy scope for whatever reason. Good she's still at it AND recording a new album! Thanks for the updates there. Guess some googling could have told me this, but then one assumes her own website would be most up to date.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »

Vikki appeared at the lst Big Session Festival in 2005 at De Montford Hall and was there again this year as children's entertainer!!

So that WAS her! She seemed to be enjoying herself, but it did seem odd that she wasn't actually playing at the festival.
Harry (Jules)

Loc: Banburyshire

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 01:29:59 PM »

"Looking At The Stars " is featured on the current show of "The Banburyshire Brolly" podstation ( www.banburyshire.com)

Jules  Smiley

Promoting the music, heritage and characters of Banburyshire.
www.banburyshire.net
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:19:42 AM »

So that WAS her! She seemed to be enjoying herself, but it did seem odd that she wasn't actually playing at the festival.

Why? If she played at the festival in 2005, makes sense that she didn't this year. Plus the fact that her day job is education officer at the De Montfort probably explains all....

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

Thanks for that Chris! All becomes suddenly clear. Is it Vikki who sends us De Mont brochures twice a week I wonder.....

Well I for one would love to see her back at Croppers with The Nerve, and hopefully wearing totally unsuitable footwear as usual. 

And also I hope to be able to buy Koen a pint at the bar - his "sort of blogs" a few years ago about his Croppers, Beverley etc. expeditions from Holland were excellent (and hilarious). As good as David Hughes' tour book.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:47:43 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 11:13:32 PM »

Perhaps it's the De Montfort Dry Cleaners, she always appears immaculate in white when I see her.  Grin

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 08:19:05 AM »

And also I hope to be able to buy Koen a pint at the bar - his "sort of blogs" a few years ago about his Croppers, Beverley etc. expeditions from Holland were excellent (and hilarious). As good as David Hughes' tour book.

I'm now hijacking the topic a bit but: thank you :-) - I'll remember that pint then (hopefully next year).
In fact I once toyed with the idea to put the lot together into some self published book, and went as far as gathering all the "sort of blogs" - still have 'em here, chronologically. Originally posted on the FC List back in the days when that was still bearable.
Turned out there were rather a lot of them, many a musical (FC related) journey, from Cropredies, to FC's 1999/2000 New Year's Eve bash, to FC gigging on the premises of a loony asylum in Holland, to various gigs in mainly Dutch outbacks. Now the book idea quickly went down the drain as I figured it would be yet another nice idea which would end up as a financial loss (story of my life, haha) but maybe they can find a place right here? I'm happy to post them (but where?).
End of topic hijack, sorry Vikki.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:04:58 AM »

Why?

Because when you see someone you only know as an adult performer depping as a children's entertainer rather than playing any "proper" festival sessions, it can be a little puzzling. Especially when you don't know that she played the festival last year and that she's got a day job at the venue anyway  Roll Eyes
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 01:25:03 PM »

that makes perfect sense now....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: