TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:16:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When did the Albion Band end for you?  (Read 28300 times)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »

Amazed that two nice live recordings like that could be instantly deleted and still find its way into my hands.  Shocked
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2006, 10:06:43 PM »

Amazed that two nice live recordings like that could be instantly deleted and still find its way into my hands.  Shocked
Staffan

Sort of makes one wonder what "instantly deleted" even really means.  Certainly nothing like having a print run of books pulped, I guess.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
red max

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2006, 01:02:49 PM »

I know a lot of Windsong CDs are seriously collectable these days. Some have been reissued on the Strange Fruit label, I think, but others are very hard to find

Thanks for all the responses to this thread, by the way, it's very interesting to read

Perhaps the Albions took too many twists and turns to keep a sufficient fanbase on board. When your core member is a bassist/infrequent singer then the character of the band is liable to change drastically when the more dominant instrumentalists/singers change. And I think Ashley's talent is coordinating rather than composing, so the quality of the songs depends heavily on who he's working with
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »

i suppose the albions end when AH decides to stop using the name
 just about everything with the albion trademark has been worth hearing
and we all know by now its just the name AH trades under, not any particular style

The Dude abides
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 03:32:18 PM »

For me, the Albions - Band, Country, and Dance - were the essential guardians of what I'd term " trad-rock" to distinguish it from "folk-rock". They epitomised the perfect marriage olde songs to modern arrangements - in a way that only Ashley really ever managed ( with the greatest respect to FC and to Steeleye etc) and I never really got into the modern songs once Ashley went semi-acoustic again. I guess it's a personal thing - sometimes I find it hard to determine where my Albion Band finishes and the Morris On bands take over - I know I didn't buy any of the acoustic records.............the Morris On performance at Cropredy made me realise that I can have whatever version of the Albions I want just by choosing my favourite album tracks. Does that make sense Huh

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
JohnW

Loc: Preston

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »

The Albions have only just started for me!  Just dipped my toe in and bought'Happy Accident' from Amazon cos' I know the song 'Wings' from one of the Fairport compilations and cos' I know Ken Nicol ... vaguely ( He bought me a pint once ..... I bought him a mineral water)
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2006, 03:58:24 AM »

The Albions have only just started for me!  Just dipped my toe in and bought'Happy Accident' from Amazon cos' I know the song 'Wings' from one of the Fairport compilations and cos' I know Ken Nicol ... vaguely ( He bought me a pint once ..... I bought him a mineral water)

I love that record! In fact, if anyone happens to know the chords to "Midsummer Night Dreams", I'll be eternally grateful (the lead lick is easy, but the chords have eluded me!).

"Along the Pilgrim's Way" is another personal favorite.
moontheloon (Bryan)

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2006, 03:23:03 AM »

For me Ken Nicol WAS the Albion band and was so sadly overlooked in favour of younger members.
He was the main songwriter. He also  reminded me of the guitarist I could have been If I hadn't been wasting away in the 70's.
Ken spent a number of years in the states which explains previous comments regarding his singing voice. Ashley is a great musician but his vocals are sometimes cardboard.
JohnW

Loc: Preston

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2006, 09:54:51 PM »

Hi Mark

Just had a listen a jotted down the chords for 'Midsummer Nights Dream' as I think they may be.
The lick at the begiining and through the song will take a bit more work!  (If the mods feel I've infringed any copyright, please feel free to remove this post)

Verse:
C E F C / F C D7 G/ C E F C / F Cdim C A7 D7 G7
Chorus:
F C F D7 G / C A7 D7 G7 .. lick

Not quite up to Maarts' standards but I hope it helps.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:26 PM »

Hi Mark

Just had a listen a jotted down the chords for 'Midsummer Nights Dream' as I think they may be.
The lick at the begiining and through the song will take a bit more work!  (If the mods feel I've infringed any copyright, please feel free to remove this post)

Verse:
C E F C / F C D7 G/ C E F C / F Cdim C A7 D7 G7
Chorus:
F C F D7 G / C A7 D7 G7 .. lick

Not quite up to Maarts' standards but I hope it helps.

Thanks!

I'm your new best friend!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: