TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:55:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When did the Albion Band end for you?  (Read 28301 times)
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 03:33:44 PM »

And who was the fiddler on Acousticity and what became of him?

Ashley Reed. Now lives in Dorset. Still playing. Interesting private release CD recently with shades of Afro-Celts

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 03:39:07 PM »

Ashley Reed. Now lives in Dorset. Still playing. Interesting private release CD recently with shades of Afro-Celts

Thanks!
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »

70s Albion Band is folkrock walhalla with Battle Of The Field and Rise Up Like The Sun the crown jewels! Utterly fantastic and I don't have to say much more about that.

For me I tend to really not listen much anymore to the 80s albums, that's because for me personally Cathy Lesurf's voice is a bit, err, so-so. I'm just not a fan and I don't like her Fairport outings either. I can remember sometime in 1989 or so in the Hokey Pokey magazine (remember these?) that Cathy would leave and that for me was good news. The Give Me A Saddle album followed and from then on, the Albion Band became really good again for me. I was disappointed when Phil Beer left (I was at his last gig with them as an official member at Albion Day 1991 - ahhhhh those were the days), but then again we did not know what was to follow with Show Of Hands. So, good for him!

I really liked the acoustic years even though maybe it should have had a different name. It's a nice period with some astonishing quality material and -musicianship and I cherish the memory of a gig somewhere in Devon in 1993 where I saw them live (inc one number where Ashley Reed and Ashley Hutchings did an instrumental duet for fiddle and typewriter). I think Chris While and Julie Matthews - good as they are! - took over a little too much in later years though.

Then the electric line up which followed in 1998 was a true Albion Band again and I think especially Happy Accident is a classic. Pity they could not continue as they were. Saw the Ken Nicol line up three times (Vlissingen (NL), Cropredy and Stratford-upon-Avon) and they were fabulous live.

I think I may have been at the last short tour billed as the Albion Band which was in Holland - I haven't read anything at all about this. I think in april (??) 2003 where they did a very short Dutch tour - put together before they announced the end of the band, performed well after this announcement, so they had a commitment to fulfill.
The line up was Ashley Hutchings, Kellie While, Joe Broughton and Neil Marshall. Pete Zorn had by then taken over from Ken Nicol, but for whatever reason he could not come, or had left, and Kevin Dempsey (!) would be his temporary replacement. Then Kevin fell ill and it would be an Albion quartet. And so they performed in the small room of the Amsterdam Concertgebouw. Fab gig, again. No mention was made of this being (one of) the last Albion Band performances, but soon after, the Rainbow Chasers were up and running.

Whom I find extremely interesting too and I suppose if the acoustic Albion Band years could be called "Albion Band" then so can the Rainbow Chasers, but I can see Ashley's reasoning as this being a really new departure, with a new generation, and not so much strictly folk- or folkrock.

Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 03:49:07 PM »

Ashley Reed and I haven't a clue what became of him. For my money 'Rise up like the sun' is a masterpiece and Mr Sanders violin mayhem on Gresford Disaster is unbeatable.

Cheers Nigel
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 04:08:41 PM »

Let's see if this works ...
I took these pics at Albion Day 1991, Phil Beer's last. The line up was Hutchings, Beer, Simon Care, Trevor Foster and a newly arrived unknown Julie Matthews.
Anyone remember Albion Day? That day alone, there was at least Vikki Clayton & Ric Sanders, Whippersnapper, Downes & Beer, John Kirkpatrick & Sue Harris, and a dozen more, and oddly enough AFTER the Albions, Tickled Pink doing a ceilidh. John Tams guested as did Sid Kipper, according to my pics. Folkrockfan heaven :-)

I spent three+ months trekking in Ireland that summer and came over for Cropredy and, the day after that, Albion Day before returning to Ireland again. Those were the days indeed.

Cheltenham Town Hall, August 1991:

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 04:09:52 PM »

Ashley Reed made a couple of great solo tapes (that long ago!)..  now where are they... I'll go and look...

... found them...     Fastnet Rock '91

Ashley Reed & the Savage Rabbits....  Hare 'N' Scare 'Em '92

"        "     "   "      "         "             Following the Honeybird '93

Saw him playing in a folk club in Chesterfield a few years back with Judy Dunlop.

He was the fiddler on Acousticity.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »

I recently went through my vinyls/tapes and was amazed to find the Albions, in various formats, outnumber even Fairport... sadly I have not managed to replace them all on CD yet... Huh
- now do I just wait and download the lot? Is Roses available on CD?
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »

Yep, it's £8.99 on Amazon.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

I-like many others- found the early years of the Albion Band terrific. I remember they even toured Sweden so I saw them here in Gothenburgh in the late 70´s. Great gigs and great music and musicianship! The albums were great but slowly my interest in the band began to wane. I cannot put the finger on why, but maybe the new course of the post-Lark-rise-Albion wasn´t to my taste - though to many others´. I remember finding "The Greatest Show on Earth" (on a live album, does anyone remember on which album  it first appeared?) was an intelligent way to move contemporary subjects into the Albion "folk" direction, but in the late 80´s I lost interest again.
And wasn´t Etchingham Steam Band a little four-persons-in-a-van outfit, featuring Shirley and Ashley.? Between No Roses and Albion?
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »

i thought the etchingham steam band were a stopgap thing between the battle of the field albions amd the prospect before us /first Tams version
 i might be wrong, it was 30 years ago Shocked

The Dude abides
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »

Nah, you're bang on Jim....clever lad  Grin

The 'Battle of the Field' line-up dissolved, the album wasn't even released - it only came out in '76 when the 'Prospect' line-up had reawakened interest in the band - and Ashley more or less retired. The Etchinghams were 1974-75, and led into the Albion Dance Band. The four (well sort of five) people in a van was just an informal thing - must have been Autumn '71. Shirley, Ashley, RT, John Kirkpatrick and Royston Wood (technically there as a roadie but would often sing).

And Staffan, I think 'The Greatest Show on Earth' was only released on the Windsong BBC Radio 1 'In Concert' CD - the one that was deleted on release.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2006, 12:57:45 PM »

was that the one with 2 in concert shows?
i didnt know it did a "sandy at the beeb", but at least i had some cash on me the day i saw it Cool

The Dude abides
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2006, 12:57:59 PM »

And Staffan, I think 'The Greatest Show on Earth' was only released on the Windsong BBC Radio 1 'In Concert' CD - the one that was deleted on release.

Was it?  I must put my copy away safely, then .....

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 12:59:47 PM »

that bugger 'll have it up on ebay and make a mint on it Wink

The Dude abides
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 01:02:03 PM »

was that the one with 2 in concert shows?
i didnt know it did a "sandy at the beeb", but at least i had some cash on me the day i saw it Cool

Aye, 1977 and 1982 - not to be confused with the Cambridge one which is 1977 and 1987, and is probably still available. I think a Richard & Linda Thompson one was in the works at the same time as the Albion, but that one didn't make it out. It was the 1975-ish 'In Concert' - the one with John Kirkpatrick & Sue Harris in the band.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »

its the one with a yellowish cover isnt it
 the cover looks like theyre on a pier or summat
 my 3 bbc releases are win cd 041 the AB live in concert
                                               the AB live at the cambridge folk fest strange fruit  cafe cd 002
and                                          the AB the bbc sessions strange fruit sfrsc 0850

The Dude abides
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 01:07:02 PM »

I think a Richard & Linda Thompson one was in the works at the same time as the Albion, but that one didn't make it out.

I remember going out to look for it - it was advertised under "forthcoming releases" in Melody Maker

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2006, 01:14:51 PM »

thats the lad

The Dude abides
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »

I got my copy easy enough, back in the mid-90's at a reasonable price.  Never considered it a "rarity" because I'd spot it occasionally here and there.  This is the first time I've heard that it was deleted upon release. Shocked

It definitely falls in the "indespensible" category, although I like the Gresford Disaster from Cambridge a lot better. Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: