TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:49:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babbacombe Lee  (Read 94716 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »

Some are saying Chris and some are saying Dave,....there's only one way to sort this out.......

FIGHT!!!!!!!!

What, between Chris and Swarb? That would be a bit mad!
I know where my money would be....

How about a scrape-off?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »

In many ways chris has a better voice, more tuneful, a sweeter tone, great clarity BUT

Swarb's voice has amazing drama, character, attitude, he plays around the melody almost like a great swing singer.

Swarb for me.

Dw
Hadn't really thought of Swarb in that way, but I think you're absolutely right. A good example would be "Me With You" from the "Rosie" album. I can't imagine Chris nailing that one in the way Swarb does.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »

I like both of them.  Although I like Swarb singing Swarb stuff and CL singing CL stuff.

I'll be curious to hear Babbacombe Lee ...

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »

I will always take feel, passion and raw emotion over 'skill' and 'accuracy' in almost anything.  That's why I love Swarb above all comers.  It's also why my list of favourite vocalists would include artists like Neil and Bob who, technically are about as proficient at singing as my ar....mpit.

;-)

Sometime they both go together (Sandy maybe?), but not imho very often...

Incidentally, is there any Whippersnapper (although I saw them a few times I don't know their material that well) which features just Swarb and Chris singing in tandem?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »

I will always take feel, passion and raw emotion over 'skill' and 'accuracy' in almost anything.  That's why I love Swarb above all comers.  It's also why my list of favourite vocalists would include artists like Neil and Bob who, technically are about as proficient at singing as my ar....mpit.

;-)

Sometime they both go together (Sandy maybe?), but not imho very often...

Incidentally, is there any Whippersnapper (although I saw them a few times I don't know their material that well) which features just Swarb and Chris singing in tandem?

Unless there was something live, I don't think so David. From recollection (other than the few Whippersnapper songs which made its way onto the Swarb box set, I have Tsubo, Promises and These Foolish Strings on cassette (!) ) there wasn't a song with just the two of them singing. Fiddle yes, singing, no.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »

I like both of them.  Although I like Swarb singing Swarb stuff and CL singing CL stuff.

Exactly. I think Chris has an excellent voice for Swarb's material in the current line up. His performance on Babbacombe Lee was a tour de force and he puts songs like Rosie and Hexhamshire Lass across skilfully and with conviction but, given the choice, I would still rather hear Swarb sing his own (era's) material.

Quite apart from Swarb's instinctive technical skill as a singer (a little like Louis Armstrong in that respect?) his voice has a warmth, authority and perhaps most importantly, authenticity. It also, for reasons I cannot begin to justify, reminds me of my Dad.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »

Chris interprets Swarbrick's material beautifully (and differently of course - otherwise what would be the point?). But in tone and delivery he has a little bit in common with Iain Matthews, so for me I'd be interested in hearing Chris sing some of the earlier songs.

He and Chris While doing "You Never Wanted Me" for example would be a mouthwatering prospect.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »

Now that is one that sounds tantalizing Peter...or maybe even Suzanne (though Simon has done that in duet with Vikki I believe)

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »

One of my favourite early Fairport songs (which I've never known them do live) is "Book Song".
I'm pretty sure Chris would make a fine job of that.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

... and Bonny Black Hare!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »

I think Chris has a fine voice and within the current line up, is the best one to sing on the Swarb related songs.  But I mostly prefer the original versions.

However, can I risk the ire of all and sundry and proclaim that I can't abide 'Bonny Black Hare'?  I love 99% of the trad stuff that Swarb sings on, but for some reason I really can't stand that song.  When Steeleye Span did a version of it on 'Bloody Men' a year or two ago I was prepared to give it a listen, but no, not even Maddy's dulcet tones can save the song for me.  

Sorry, I'll go and hide and put on me tin hat! Wink

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2012, 12:45:06 PM »

However, can I risk the ire of all and sundry and proclaim that I can't abide 'Bonny Black Hare'?  I love 99% of the trad stuff that Swarb sings on, but for some reason I really can't stand that song.  When Steeleye Span did a version of it on 'Bloody Men' a year or two ago I was prepared to give it a listen, but no, not even Maddy's dulcet tones can save the song for me.  

Sorry, I'll go and hide and put on me tin hat! Wink

After you with the hat - it doesn't do much for me either.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »

However, can I risk the ire of all and sundry and proclaim that I can't abide 'Bonny Black Hare'?

I'm so glad somebody else said it first. Can't stand it either. It is from one of my very favourite Fairport albums but is my second least favourite Fairport song ever.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2012, 05:19:24 PM »

However, can I risk the ire of all and sundry and proclaim that I can't abide 'Bonny Black Hare'?

I'm so glad somebody else said it first. Can't stand it either. It is from one of my very favourite Fairport albums but is my second least favourite Fairport song ever.
Are you going to tell us your least favourite then?

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »

My least fave has to be Travelling by Steam... not keen at all...  Sad

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2012, 05:28:41 PM »

Ok, one doesn't like it, fair enough, but that is (when one considers some of the stuff released in recent decades) one of the more preposterous statements I've ever seen on here (mine own included)  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »

Now that is one that sounds tantalizing Peter...or maybe even Suzanne (though Simon has done that in duet with Vikki I believe)

That's on the 25th Anniversary Cropredy album, I think.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

That's on the 25th Anniversary Cropredy album, I think.

As it happens, it's the 30th Anniversary concert ('The Cropredy Box'). But hey, what's a 5 year difference in a 45 year career?!?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »

Ok, one doesn't like it, fair enough, but that is (when one considers some of the stuff released in recent decades) one of the more preposterous statements I've ever seen on here (mine own included)  Grin

I'm not that enthusiastic about a lot of the post '97 (Who Knows Where The Time Goes) material but I don't detest any of it to the point of complete intolerance. BBH though really grates on me. I can't explain why. It is just a personal thing. Something to do with the sound of it I think, like fingernails on a blackboard. As for my least favourite, I have mentioned before on another thread somewhere that it is My Feet Are Set For Dancing (or whatever it is called) from the otherwise decent Gladys' Leap. An abomination and completely unlistenable to me.
john graham
n3wb

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 07:40:49 PM »

I'm not too keen on Hexhamshire lass which seems to have been a favourite with the band. On the other hand I would love to hear Lord Marlborough and Wizard of the wordly game attempted by the current lineup
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: