TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:46:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363508 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1480 on: January 23, 2024, 12:32:13 PM »

Just had an e-mail announcing the Eagles dates.(One original Eagle, two replacement Eagles, two other blokes, one of whom is Son Of Eagle).
Steely Dan (or half of them) supporting.
No idea of prices (apart from not cheap.)
Presale tomorrow. 10.00.

That's literally my idea of the very worst concert ever conceived by anybody ever.  Please do remember to tell me how much the tickets are - I need a good laugh at the moment Wink Grin

I love Steely Dan and I was happy to have a chance of seeing them live finally a few years ago, but Walter passed away between buying the ticket and the gig. The Eagles are not a big fave, I liked the Joe Walsh era the most, and he'll be there, but Timothy B Schmit no longer has his hair style. A big loss to music, like Scott Gorham's. So I'll pass.

The only Dan I can listen to is the very early stuff.  One of those (Springsteen, Zappa et al) "I don't get it at all" things for me...I played Aja 3 times after buying it in the hope some of this supposed brilliance seeps in.  But it's musical belly fluff to me....  The Eagles just 'are'.  A mate once said (probably unoriginally) it's rock music for people that don't really like rock music.  With a tiny number of minor (and also early) exceptions, I tend to agree.  The Lib Dems of popular music...? Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1481 on: January 23, 2024, 01:59:00 PM »

Just had an e-mail announcing the Eagles dates.(One original Eagle, two replacement Eagles, two other blokes, one of whom is Son Of Eagle).
Steely Dan (or half of them) supporting.
No idea of prices (apart from not cheap.)
Presale tomorrow. 10.00.

That's literally my idea of the very worst concert ever conceived by anybody ever.  Please do remember to tell me how much the tickets are - I need a good laugh at the moment Wink Grin

I love Steely Dan and I was happy to have a chance of seeing them live finally a few years ago, but Walter passed away between buying the ticket and the gig. The Eagles are not a big fave, I liked the Joe Walsh era the most, and he'll be there, but Timothy B Schmit no longer has his hair style. A big loss to music, like Scott Gorham's. So I'll pass.

The only Dan I can listen to is the very early stuff.  One of those (Springsteen, Zappa et al) "I don't get it at all" things for me...I played Aja 3 times after buying it in the hope some of this supposed brilliance seeps in.  But it's musical belly fluff to me....  The Eagles just 'are'.  A mate once said (probably unoriginally) it's rock music for people that don't really like rock music.  With a tiny number of minor (and also early) exceptions, I tend to agree.  The Lib Dems of popular music...? Grin

Gasp ! 'Supposed brilliance' ?
It would be tedious in the extreme to read this forum if we all liked the same stuff.
I'm a massive Zappa fan, you're not.
We both love Gong.
I get the impression Jules doesn't, much.
Meanwhile, I've only just bought my first two Byrds solo albums, a conversation I've been unable to join in for many years, but I've been following it for suggestions.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1482 on: January 23, 2024, 02:45:10 PM »

We both love Gong.

I would rather consume my own earwax.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1483 on: January 23, 2024, 03:07:48 PM »

We both love Gong.

Jules

Incidentally, I was just reading about a woman who sold her own earwax (and spit) and made $5k a month.  There's money in them hills...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1484 on: January 23, 2024, 03:30:03 PM »

Incidentally, I was just reading about a woman who sold her own earwax (and spit) and made $5k a month.  There's money in them hills...

I have no words.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1485 on: January 23, 2024, 04:41:43 PM »

I have no words.

Jules

That's a pity, Jules, as I'd be able to hear them now I've just been "sourcing the raw material" so to speak!  Wink

Flobbadob!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1486 on: January 23, 2024, 06:03:01 PM »

I have no words.

Jules

That's a pity, Jules, as I'd be able to hear them now I've just been "sourcing the raw material" so to speak!  Wink

If she sells tickets to the harvest, it becomes an appropriate topic for this thread!  Wink
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1487 on: January 23, 2024, 06:12:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7k9mg-MZhY

Earwax ? That's nothing.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1488 on: January 23, 2024, 07:48:09 PM »

I dare not click.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1489 on: January 23, 2024, 10:43:04 PM »

I saw Steely Dan minus Walter a few years ago and they were utterly fabulous, supported by Steve Ainslie best £90 I ever spent on a concert.
They are doing 3 nights at the brand new Co-op arena besides Man City's Etihad ground
I would happily go to see them again but I'm not paying to see the Eagles, so I'm not bothering unless it's dirt cheap

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1490 on: January 24, 2024, 08:21:23 AM »

I saw Steely Dan minus Walter a few years ago and they were utterly fabulous, supported by Steve Ainslie best £90 I ever spent on a concert.
They are doing 3 nights at the brand new Co-op arena besides Man City's Etihad ground
I would happily go to see them again but I'm not paying to see the Eagles, so I'm not bothering unless it's dirt cheap

Thanks for making me properly guffaw this morning, Jim.

bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1491 on: January 24, 2024, 08:39:19 AM »

It's not as bad as what you're thinking, but you're thinking along the right lines.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1492 on: January 24, 2024, 08:53:16 AM »

We both love Gong.

Jules

Incidentally, I was just reading about a woman who sold her own earwax (and spit) and made $5k a month.  There's money in them hills...

I was thinking this sounds like one of those clickbait articles found on many websites - You'll Never Guess How Much This Woman Made From Selling Her Own Earwax!  Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1493 on: January 24, 2024, 10:45:56 AM »

Just to return the topic slightly (!) more down to earth ... we could have an interesting topic on bands one likes / dislikes, but can't figure out why. eg I know full well why I dislike heavy rock / metal bands - they give me migraine - but there are so many bands I "should" like or dislike, except I don't .............. Undecided
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1494 on: January 24, 2024, 11:47:51 AM »

Just to return the topic slightly (!) more down to earth ... we could have an interesting topic on bands one likes / dislikes, but can't figure out why. eg I know full well why I dislike heavy rock / metal bands - they give me migraine - but there are so many bands I "should" like or dislike, except I don't .............. Undecided

I fear the most interesting thing about a topic like that would be the shortest distance it takes between the first post and a reply which suggests that they are a cotton-headed ninnymuffin and reccommending an album to cure them. There's a great quote attributed to Nick Cave along the lines of "I sometimes hear something awful wonder what that racket is, and it's always The Red Hot Chilli Peppers". With me it's Frank Zappa. And don't get me started on Lou Reed.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1495 on: January 24, 2024, 01:09:49 PM »

I think I would actually prefer a double bill of bellowhead and ISB than one of Steely Dan and The Eagles. I think what they are named after says it all really. Anyway tickets booked for RT on June 1 , Now Thats What I Call Music.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1496 on: January 24, 2024, 02:36:05 PM »

I think I would actually prefer a double bill of bellowhead and ISB than one of Steely Dan and The Eagles. I think what they are named after says it all really. Anyway tickets booked for RT on June 1 , Now Thats What I Call Music.

There's always been a buzz about Steely Dan, I don't know what you mean.  Tongue

Well I never did..
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1497 on: January 25, 2024, 10:46:24 AM »

£120, £132, £145.....£453....£760 (front row Platinum).......

Get 'em while they're hot.....they're lovely....

Well I never did..
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1498 on: January 25, 2024, 10:56:31 AM »

£120, £132, £145.....£453....£760 (front row Platinum).......

Get 'em while they're hot.....they're lovely....

"Only a fool would say that" Wink

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1499 on: January 25, 2024, 11:23:11 AM »

There's always been a buzz about Steely Dan, I don't know what you mean.  Tongue
I have to say I prefer the original.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: