TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:33:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363428 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1380 on: October 06, 2023, 12:06:36 PM »

I think Katie Spencer has been mentioned in here a few times.  Her tour continues.  Meanwhile (from Katie on FB) - some people really need to take a long bloody look in the mirror...unbelievable..

"It is very rare for me to publicly discuss situations like the one I'm about to share, however this is such an infuriating, often devastating and far too common occurrence in my experience, so I need to talk about it - in the hope that some folks may read this and think/learn/share/agree/listen/reassess/etc.
I was recently introduced by an MC at a gig as follows: "not only is she very pretty, she also sings". This was the entirety of my introduction, not one mention of the music.
I want to stress that this is not an uncommon situation, and it has reached a point where I need to discuss this publicly because every time a comment like this is made, I feel horrible. I am a full-time professional musician, and I should not feel like this in my workplace on a regular basis. I am writing to try and make things better in future.
I have put years of dedication into my music and constantly strive to become better, I love what I do and each time a comment like this is made it makes me feel robbed of my standing and my abilities as a musician and not only that but makes me feel looked upon completely inappropriately by men. One horrible part of this situation is that these comments and gestures are often brushed off as a joke, rendering any protest against them as over-the-top by the perpetrators. As a solo woman travelling the country this behaviour can be intimidating, belittling, upsetting and absolutely infuriating.
It has to be said that the majority of folks are respectful and kind, and I hope that we can stand together in solidarity against this bullshit. Please think before speaking and acting, and call others out on their behaviour."

Unbelievable in 2023.
JohnP69

« Reply #1381 on: October 06, 2023, 05:04:47 PM »

New Order at Leeds Arena tomorrow night then Fairport at Goole Junction on Sunday
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1382 on: October 06, 2023, 11:13:51 PM »

Tuesday 10/10: The Wallflowers, Paramount Theater! According to the Wayback machine, we saw Jakob and crew 10 years ago opening for Eric Clapton at the Frank Erwin Center. I confess to having no recollection of that show, so this will be fresh. This is one of the few benefits of aging.

Saturday 10/14: Bonnie Raitt, ACL Live (unless Mrs. J From A decides to attend her high school reunion instead, in which case I hope to resell the tickets to this long sold-out show for a small premium). As a hedge, we signed up for passes to see Bonnie at her taping of an upcoming episode of Austin City Limits at the same venue the following day. Fingers crossed that, either way, we get to see Bonnie next weekend.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1383 on: October 12, 2023, 01:45:02 PM »

If anybody wants a couple of tickets to Stornoway in Nantwich this Sat or Manchester 2 weeks later, let me know!  PDF tickets so easy to get to you.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #1384 on: October 12, 2023, 04:50:00 PM »

Darts on Saturday.  A real blast from the past!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1385 on: October 12, 2023, 04:55:09 PM »

Is anybody original still involved?  Somebody on here used to be a big fan...maybe it was you?!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1386 on: October 13, 2023, 03:53:07 PM »

If anybody wants a couple of tickets to Stornoway in Nantwich this Sat or Manchester 2 weeks later, let me know!  PDF tickets so easy to get to you.

Sorry you can't make it on Saturday David, was expecting to see you there, nice to have a gig that's only a fifteen minute walk from home. Sadly we're having to blow out The Clientele in Liverpool tonight as something has come up last minute and derailed our plans, but will be seeing them in Manchester in January, so not so bad.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1387 on: October 13, 2023, 05:58:53 PM »

Is anybody original still involved?  Somebody on here used to be a big fan...maybe it was you?!

I think was Robertle  from new York, I think, he was into that sort of thing, boothill  footappers, mint juleps etc

Here it is, it was him

RIP- musicians
in ¡Active!

Re: RIP- musicians by RobertD
...  Den on FB via my association with The Mint Juleps (Rita and Griff were who got the  ...
...  Juleps started off professionally). I too will  ...
43.5%   Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)   May 21, 2012, 03:56:03 PM
      Thumbs Up Today
in The Corporation Arms

Re: Thumbs Up Today by RobertD
...  Green to meet a few members of The Mint Juleps, who I wrote about on the blog  ...

The Dude abides
PJayBe

« Reply #1388 on: October 13, 2023, 06:25:44 PM »

Yes, 3 of the original 4 vocalists still take the stage, along with some /most (not really sure off top of my head) of the backing band.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1389 on: October 18, 2023, 05:04:39 PM »

Peter Gabriel, Moody Center, Austin, tonight!

I saw PG only once before, on the Scratch My Back tour in 2011. Given his proclivities, I doubt I will have another opportunity after tonight.  Sad

I'm really looking forward to this. After the Steve Hackett show this coming spring, I will have completed my Genesis "set." (PG 2011/2023, Genesis 2021, Steve Hackett 2024.) I similarly assembled the surviving Byrds and Faces, over time.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1390 on: October 18, 2023, 06:04:51 PM »

Enjoy the show, John.  I saw it in Manchester a few months back - it was fantastic!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1391 on: October 19, 2023, 11:57:39 AM »

Copied from FB:

ANNOUNCING OYSTERBAND - DECADES
Four decades of Oysterband songs over two evenings: from their early acoustic roots, through the roaring 90s, onwards to a new century … and songs for the future.
First night
OYSTERBAND - the 80s and 90s
From Step Outside to Holy Bandits and beyond.
Featuring: Oxford Girl / Hal-an-Tow / Too Late Now / When I’m Up / Granite Years
Second Night
OYSTERBAND – into a new millennium
Through Meet You There to Read The Sky.
Featuring: Rise Above / Here Comes the Flood / Dancing as Fast as I Can / A River Runs / Corner of the Room
… and many more …

http://www.oysterband.co.uk/tour-dates/

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1392 on: October 19, 2023, 04:06:17 PM »

Enjoy the show, John.  I saw it in Manchester a few months back - it was fantastic!

And so it was!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1393 on: October 19, 2023, 05:17:47 PM »

Copied from FB:

Four decades of Oysterband songs over two evenings: from their early acoustic roots, through the roaring 90s, onwards to a new century … and songs for the future.
First night
Featuring: Oxford Girl / Hal-an-Tow / Too Late Now / When I’m Up / Granite Years
Second Night
Featuring: Rise Above / Here Comes the Flood / Dancing as Fast as I Can / A River Runs / Corner of the Room
… and many more …

Huntingdon Hall, Worcester - yay!

Flobbadob!
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #1394 on: October 19, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »

Hack Poets Guild at Matt and Phreds in Manchester tonight, part of the manchester folk festival. Listening to the album right now as I'm travelling into manchester on the train. Really looking forward to this one.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1395 on: October 20, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »

Copied from FB:

First night
Second Night
… and many more …

An interesting idea. I've booked my tickets for The Acapela, Pentyrch.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1396 on: October 20, 2023, 10:41:57 AM »

In a surprising turn of events in one year and 5 days I'm accompanying the world's (well, Fetcham's) biggest early 80s Adam fan to the Phil.  She's always resisted revisiting until now... We will see!

* Adam.jpg (146.89 KB, 696x937 - viewed 169 times.)

Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #1397 on: October 20, 2023, 12:48:54 PM »

Copied from FB:

First night
Second Night
… and many more …

An interesting idea. I've booked my tickets for The Acapela, Pentyrch.

Seeing Oysterband tonight, first night of their tour at Warwick Arts Cente. Not seen them for over a year so quite looking forward to it
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1398 on: October 20, 2023, 01:24:49 PM »

Off to see our chums (Fairport) tonight at Honiton.  They were last there about a year ago and the guy I sat next to hadn't seen them for about 30 years and spent most of evening literally crying with joy.  I kind of hope he is there again tonight!
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1399 on: October 20, 2023, 03:59:24 PM »

I'm circling KISS, October 29, at the Moody Center.

I was never a fan, but it is their alleged farewell appearance and they are a part of my history since they took off when I was in 6th grade. I remember kids at school talking about the makeup, the stage blood and spitting fire, and the ghastly Halloween television special starring the late, great Anthony Zerbe as a mad scientist. It all makes me somewhat nostalgic. We'll see; the ticket prices are a bit outrageous.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: