TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:20:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363516 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1360 on: September 21, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »

Barclay James Harvest with Orchestra on Saturday, Martin Turner's version of Wishbone Ash on Sunday.  Keeping bang up to date again!!

The John Lees version presumably?  Both versions are the better of the two available in my humble opinion... Party like it's 1973... Wink Grin

Yes, the Lees version.  John has announced his retirement from full-time touring, but will do occasional shows.  Never seen Les's band, but would do given the chance.

Do they ever play in the UK?  Maybe that was part of the legal agreement? He got Germany and John got the UK?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PJayBe

« Reply #1361 on: September 21, 2023, 11:01:41 PM »

Barclay James Harvest with Orchestra on Saturday, Martin Turner's version of Wishbone Ash on Sunday.  Keeping bang up to date again!!

The John Lees version presumably?  Both versions are the better of the two available in my humble opinion... Party like it's 1973... Wink Grin

Yes, the Lees version.  John has announced his retirement from full-time touring, but will do occasional shows.  Never seen Les's band, but would do given the chance.

Do they ever play in the UK?  Maybe that was part of the legal agreement? He got Germany and John got the UK?

Don't think so.  They did play the UK some yearsd ago but I couldn't make it.  John and band play mainland Europe too.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1362 on: September 22, 2023, 11:26:43 AM »

BJH - I'm hoping to catch the Sunday show in Huddersfield.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1363 on: September 22, 2023, 03:27:27 PM »

I wish they'd play somewhere near me...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1364 on: September 23, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »

Last time I saw them it was the John Lees version, and they were very good-  played lots of the classic material.  Can't believe it but that must have been about 2005.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1365 on: September 23, 2023, 05:28:27 PM »

Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited at the Paramount in Austin, coming Spring 2024!

A rare visit from a legend. Already booked!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1366 on: September 23, 2023, 07:43:47 PM »

Last time I saw them it was the John Lees version, and they were very good-  played lots of the classic material.  Can't believe it but that must have been about 2005.

Last time I saw them (the mothership) it was 1983 Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1367 on: September 24, 2023, 04:44:15 PM »

I never knew George Clinton was in BJH!  Wink

Flobbadob!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1368 on: September 24, 2023, 05:16:32 PM »

Standing On The Verge Of Getting It Octoberon is a must have.

Well I never did..
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1369 on: September 25, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »

Shawn Colvin at The Union Chapel tonight, support from Blair Dunlop. Really looking forward to this.
Peter Allen

« Reply #1370 on: September 25, 2023, 12:20:47 PM »

That sounds like a good night out to me
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1371 on: September 25, 2023, 10:33:19 PM »

Shawn Colvin at The Union Chapel tonight, support from Blair Dunlop. Really looking forward to this.

Nice!

Ann Wilson, "Heartless," tonight at the Paramount Theater!

Next year maybe we'll see a new album and tour with the lovely and talented Nancy Wilson in tow.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1372 on: September 26, 2023, 08:04:36 AM »

Standing On The Verge Of Getting It Octoberon is a must have.

Genius, Mike!!

Flobbadob!
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1373 on: September 26, 2023, 06:06:19 PM »

Polly Paulusma and Kathryn Williams next week at Hebden Bridge trades club. A first revisit since I saw Kevin Coyne there when I worked at Gordon Riggs Garden Centre in Walsden in the early 90’s as a college placement. Haven’t seen Polly or Kathryn before but followed both of their careers since the first releases and have heard some online live casts on Facebook and YouTube.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
garrypbrooks

« Reply #1374 on: September 27, 2023, 11:55:24 AM »

The excellent Jon Wilks is playing at St Edith's folk club at Otford, Kent (near Sevenoaks) on Friday 6th October, see https://www.stedithfolk.co.uk/
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1375 on: September 27, 2023, 01:50:40 PM »

Next up for Me:

Fairport (at a venue I've not previously visited, Settle Town Hall)
Lanterns On The Lake
Hand Of Dimes
Tyketto

John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1376 on: September 27, 2023, 08:56:09 PM »

Tomorrow night, Pablo Cruise at "The Haute Spot" in Cedar Park, Texas!

I bought all the Pablo Cruise records when I was 14. Their breakthrough single came in 1977, with the eminently danceable "Whatcha Gonna Do (When She Says Goodbye)?" I particularly love the 1978 LP "Worlds Away," which includes the title song, a great cover of Peter Allen's "Rio," and their biggest hit, "Love Will Find A Way." (They are cut from the same cloth as the Michael McDonald-era Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan and the Little River Band.)

The current band includes original guitarist/vocalist Dave Jenkins and original keyboardist Cory Lerios. The original drummer, Steve Price, recently stepped away after 50 years' service. Original bassist/vocalist (and former member of "It's a Beautiful Day") Bud Cockrell passed away years ago, sadly. They added lead vocalist Robbie Wyckoff just a few years ago; he sang David Gilmour's parts on Roger's "The Wall" tour.

Pablo Cruise were inactive through most of the '80s and '90s, but started a low-key comeback in the early 2010s, playing California and Florida and rarely in between. Mrs. J From A and I caught them for the first time at the Sonoma Music Festival in 2013, and I've since seen them a few more times. Only recently, they started venturing into more states. They attract a small but enthusiastic crowd of late-era baby boomers like me.

This is authentic yacht rock at its finest, and I'm always thrilled when they come my way.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1377 on: October 06, 2023, 08:31:40 AM »

I think Katie Spencer has been mentioned in here a few times.  Her tour continues.  Meanwhile (from Katie on FB) - some people really need to take a long bloody look in the mirror...unbelievable..

"It is very rare for me to publicly discuss situations like the one I'm about to share, however this is such an infuriating, often devastating and far too common occurrence in my experience, so I need to talk about it - in the hope that some folks may read this and think/learn/share/agree/listen/reassess/etc.
I was recently introduced by an MC at a gig as follows: "not only is she very pretty, she also sings". This was the entirety of my introduction, not one mention of the music.
I want to stress that this is not an uncommon situation, and it has reached a point where I need to discuss this publicly because every time a comment like this is made, I feel horrible. I am a full-time professional musician, and I should not feel like this in my workplace on a regular basis. I am writing to try and make things better in future.
I have put years of dedication into my music and constantly strive to become better, I love what I do and each time a comment like this is made it makes me feel robbed of my standing and my abilities as a musician and not only that but makes me feel looked upon completely inappropriately by men. One horrible part of this situation is that these comments and gestures are often brushed off as a joke, rendering any protest against them as over-the-top by the perpetrators. As a solo woman travelling the country this behaviour can be intimidating, belittling, upsetting and absolutely infuriating.
It has to be said that the majority of folks are respectful and kind, and I hope that we can stand together in solidarity against this bullshit. Please think before speaking and acting, and call others out on their behaviour."

* 386561907_3564321347170680_4465861154870721939_n.jpg (115.62 KB, 1080x1350 - viewed 202 times.)

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1378 on: October 06, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

I think Katie Spencer has been mentioned in here a few times.  Her tour continues.  Meanwhile (from Katie on FB) - some people really need to take a long bloody look in the mirror...unbelievable..

I saw a video yesterday posted by Iona Lane about the very same subject. Sad and depressing that this sort of behaviour is still so commonplace. https://twitter.com/IonaLaneMusic

Re Katie's music, she has recorded a cover of Michael Chapman's Shuffleboat River Farewell which is on her Bandcamp page. I've included it in my next radio show. https://katiespencerofficial.bandcamp.com/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Peter Allen

« Reply #1379 on: October 06, 2023, 11:47:46 AM »

I think Katie , who has obviously been exposed to these types of comments before , is right to draw attention to it
So disrespectful
By 2023 you'd think that kind of intro would have died out , apparently not
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: