TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:49:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363449 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1340 on: September 06, 2023, 10:00:51 AM »

[Note, I think some of the links are broken, but you should be able to workaround]

Gregg Douglass

This from promoter John Roberts who some might know from Barking Spider promotions - used to be in Pompey, he's now in Ireland.  Nice guy for an ex undercover Drug Squad guy Wink Grin

The amazing GREG DOUGLASS, guitar wizard from THE STEVE MILLER BAND, is back on tour in the U.K in October with his U.K Band - the tour is entitled GREG DOUGLASS PLAYS STEVE MILLER.
The 11 date tour takes the guys from The Isle of Wight to Scotland - and all points in between, so probably playing at a venue near you!!!
In 2016 Greg's contribution to music was acknowledged when together with the other members of The Steve Miller Band he was inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, a prestigious honour indeed. Greg co-wrote the classic "Jungle Love" for the band among other songs. The song appears on The Steve Miller Band's "Greatest Hits" album, which has sold over FIVE MILLION copies!!!!!!.
Greg has an amazing pedigree - as well as The Steve Miller Band he was also a former member of the Jefferson Airplane offshoot Hot Tuna, The Greg Kihn Band (playing on their number 1 U.S. hit "Jeopardy"), and Van Morrison's band, and he's also played with many, many other legendary musicians, including John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service. He toured the U.K as a member of The Former Members, with Bruce Barthol & David Bennett Cohen (both of Country Joe & The Fish), Roy Blumenfeld (Blues Project) and later in San Francisco Nights - basically The Former Members plus Sam Andrew of Big Brother And The Holding Company who was Janis Joplis guitarist for years, and Bex Marshall as the voice of Janis.
Greg's band are three very experienced U.K musicians, all ex members of the U.K lineup for the top class San Francisco band It's A Beautiful Day. Steve Browning, the bass player was also a member of The Pretty Things, and played with Ronnie Spector and many others. Rhythm guitarist and keyboard player Rob Beckinsale has toured with Barry "The Fish" Melton of Country Joe And The Fish and The Aguilar Blumenfeld Project, two more top San Francisco bands whose members played the Monterey Festival in 1967 and Woodstock Festival in 1969. The drummer, Matt Wheatle, has been a member of top blues funk band Cryin' Out Loud for close to 30 years. His previous bands include Bluescasters and Little Junior Joe Slim & the Three Chord Trick. Matt’s also collaborated with Fast Eddie Clarke of Motorhead, and performed with the legendary Jackie Lynton on many occasions. Here's the tour list -and where to get tickets!!!
SUNDAY 8.10.23: Dimbola Museum & Galleries, Terrace Lane, Freshwater, Isle Of Wight, PO409QE. Doors 6 p.m. TICKET LINK: http://thesanitycompany.co.uk/bullfrogtickets/ (£12 - secure link via Paypal)
MONDAY 9.10.23: Emsworth Music Club, Emsworth Sports & Social Club, 43 Havant Rd, Emsworth, PO10 7JF. Doors 7 p.m TICKET LINK: http://thesanitycompany.co.uk/bullfrogtickets/ (£16 - secure link via Paypal)
TUESDAY10.10.23: Half Moon, Putney. TICKET LINK: www.halfmoon.co.uk (£15 advance/£17 door).
WEDNESDAY 11.10.23: King Arthur, 31- 33 Benedict St., Glastonbury, BA69NB. Doors 6 p.m., 7 p.m start. Tel. 01458 830338 TICKET LINK: Eventbrite (£10)
THURSDAY 12.10.23: Navy Club, Bellmans Yard, High St., Newport, Shropshire, TF10 7AJ. Doors: 8 p.m TICKET LINK : http://thesanitycompany.co.uk/bullfrogtickets/ (£9 - secure link via Paypal - or £10 on door).
FRIDAY13.10.23: Wrecking Ball Arts Centre, 15 Whitefriargate, Hull, HU1 2ER. Tel: 07942 244845 g TICKET LINK: https://wreckingballstore.co.uk/ (£17)
SUNDAY 15.10.23: Backstage at The Green; The Green Hotel, 2, The Muirs, Kinross, KY13 8AS TICKET LINK: https://www.ticketweb.uk/.../greg-douglass.../12995885... (£25)
MONDAY 16.10.23: Backstage At The Green; The Green Hotel, 2, The Muirs, Kinross, KY13 8AS. D TICKET LINK: https://www.ticketweb.uk/.../greg-douglass.../12995885... (£25)
TUESDAY 17.10.23: The Swan, 56. High St., Stourport on Severn, DY138BX Start: 8 p.m - food served 6 p.m. - 8 p.m 01299 877832 to reserve a table and a ticket - best seat in the house!. TICKET LINK: http://thesanitycompany.co.uk/bullfrogtickets/ (£8)
WEDNESDAY 18.10.23 The Art Bank, 13, High St., Shepton Mallett, Somerset BA4 5AA (. TICKET LINK: http://thesanitycompany.co.uk/bullfrogtickets/ (£8) (Venue can also sell tickets ) Doors 7 p.m , on stage 8.30.p.m . https://youtu.be/wmEq8oicKuc

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
vince42

« Reply #1341 on: September 06, 2023, 10:50:11 PM »

Off to see Big Big Train at Queens Hall Edinburgh this Sunday.  Saw them there a few years back and it was one if hhe best gigs I'd been to.  Obviously won't be the same but hopefully as good.

Vince
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1342 on: September 07, 2023, 09:49:31 AM »

Off to see Big Big Train at Queens Hall Edinburgh this Sunday.  Saw them there a few years back and it was one if hhe best gigs I'd been to.  Obviously won't be the same but hopefully as good.

Vince

Jealous. Saw them last year at Aylesbury and they were great, but can't make any of the gigs this time.  But I am off to see Lifesigns in Truro on Friday night instead.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1343 on: September 07, 2023, 08:25:39 PM »

Dexys at the Bridgewater hall in Manchester on Friday night
Ten years since last I saw them there,  when they were stunningly good.  So I'm hoping for another good show

The Dude abides
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1344 on: September 12, 2023, 06:01:06 PM »

Sadly couldn't make the Bevis Frond gig in Manchester last night but do have two more in the city later this week -

Flyying Colours at the Castle Hotel tomorrow. The Australian shoegaze/psych band rather than the US prog outfit of the same name but different spelling. Not seen them previously so really looking forward to that.

65daysofstatic at New Century Hall on Friday. Son's favourite band so tagging along for this, they were great at Gorilla a couple of years ago, if incredibly loud, so going to make sure I don't forget the earplugs.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #1345 on: September 12, 2023, 08:23:40 PM »

Seeing Stornoway in about 5 minutes...

A tiny gig at the Bullingdon in Oxford to launch the new album.

I introduced them onstage at Cornbury Festival one year. That was a strange time.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
PJayBe

« Reply #1346 on: September 13, 2023, 04:22:04 PM »

P.P. Arnold tonight at Darwen's lovely Library Theatre,
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1347 on: September 13, 2023, 06:20:18 PM »

Seeing Stornoway in about 5 minutes...

A tiny gig at the Bullingdon in Oxford to launch the new album.

I introduced them onstage at Cornbury Festival one year. That was a strange time.

Cheers

Nick

How was it?  I'm going to a couple of gigs in Oct

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1348 on: September 17, 2023, 05:41:44 PM »

An Evening with Dave Mattacks. I'm expecting a drum workshop, but what should I put my hand up and ask at the Q&A?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 09:40:54 PM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1349 on: September 18, 2023, 08:29:41 AM »

Kristin Hersh only a month away now.  Looking forward to it very much.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1350 on: September 18, 2023, 04:58:25 PM »

An Evening with Dave Mattacks. I'm expecting a drum workshop, but what should I put my hand up and ask at the Q&A?

I have long wondered whether it's my imagination, or if his playing style has radically evolved since "Liege and Lief," moving through "Shoot Out The Lights," to today. He is now so stripped down, with few fills or flourishes. Is my perception reality, and if so why the change? (I am a sucker for busy drumming, e.g. I prefer Bill Bruford to Alan White.)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1351 on: September 18, 2023, 07:26:48 PM »

I am a sucker for busy drumming, e.g. I prefer Bill Bruford to Alan White.

Same. Love a busy drummer.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1352 on: September 18, 2023, 08:38:52 PM »

I've recently booked to see:

Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell & co) at Gloucester Guildhall a week on Saturday,
Dr Feelgood + Wreckless Eric at the same venue mid-November,
the Crimson Marathon (a triple header of Stick Men, TU:NER and the David Cross Band (the latter playing the Larks Tongues In Aspic album in full)) in Prague (!),
the AfroCelts, Working Week, Imagined Village (and others yet tbc) at The Roundhouse mid-December.  
I might pop along to see Ozric Tentacles & Gong at the Guildhall in November as well.
The next ticket purchase after that will probably be Fairport at Tewkesbury Roses around Feb 24

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1353 on: September 20, 2023, 08:12:22 PM »

Ticket going spare for Hawkwind at the Albert Hall next Friday.  Decent ticket - Block H Row 9 in the stalls.  Drop me a line if interested.

PJayBe

« Reply #1354 on: September 20, 2023, 09:48:09 PM »

Barclay James Harvest with Orchestra on Saturday, Martin Turner's version of Wishbone Ash on Sunday.  Keeping bang up to date again!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1355 on: September 21, 2023, 08:02:52 AM »

Barclay James Harvest with Orchestra on Saturday, Martin Turner's version of Wishbone Ash on Sunday.  Keeping bang up to date again!!

The John Lees version presumably?  Both versions are the better of the two available in my humble opinion... Party like it's 1973... Wink Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1356 on: September 21, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »

Don't think I've seen anything at all about this gig on here which is a little odd.  Apologies if I'm wrong...

* 380639048_795115182296499_302221782739665144_n.jpg (282.63 KB, 1456x2048 - viewed 204 times.)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1357 on: September 21, 2023, 01:05:56 PM »

Ivan Pawle of Dr Strangely Strange has just been added to the bill for the launch gig of the new version of the Be Glad Incredible String Band Compendium.  There will be a few ISB members in attendance too (although sadly not those two - I think Adrian was hoping Mike might still come, Robin - no chance).  Rose will be there, Malcolm too...

Looks bloody marvellous, but sadly I will be 10500 miles away.  Grrrr.

https://www.wegottickets.com/event/587749?fbclid=IwAR1m3Ff8xVMxsg3PeVsry5ap25EyJmZma4Bw0wkUxh_TNVeHy3X5fM460_o

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1358 on: September 21, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »

I am guessing Licorice McKechnie won't be attending - did anyone ever find out what happened to her?
PJayBe

« Reply #1359 on: September 21, 2023, 05:26:14 PM »

The John Lees version presumably?  Both versions are the better of the two available in my humble opinion... Party like it's 1973... Wink Grin

Yes, the Lees version.  John has announced his retirement from full-time touring, but will do occasional shows.  Never seen Les's band, but would do given the chance.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: