TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:26:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363387 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1320 on: August 21, 2023, 10:39:24 AM »

My next two gigs are both duos in folk clubs - Ken Nicol & Wendy Ross and then Jacqui McShee & Kevin Dempsey ... seen 3 of the 4 musicians before (ie all except relative "newcomer" Wendy), but never in this particular format. Anybody else seen 'em before?

Didn't know Jacqui played with Kevin.  I'd be interested to know what they play...and whether it includes any Dando Shaft material.  Polly and her voices were often compared (given the disparity in success, usually Polly's with Jacqui's).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1321 on: August 22, 2023, 02:19:07 AM »

Stevie Nicks, tonight at the Moody Center in Austin! I have a long history with Stevie, in and out of Fleetwood Mac:

8/31/83 SN with Joe Walsh, Austin (Wild Heart Tour)
4/12/86 SN with Opus, Austin (Rock a Little Tour)
12/1/87 FM with Cruzados, Austin (Shake the Cage Tour)
8/14/98 SN, Don Henley, etc., Bethel NY (Enchanted Tour)
6/4/13 FM, Dallas (Fleetwood Mac Live 2013 Tour)
12/14/14 FM, Dallas (On With the Show Tour)
3/1/15 FM, Austin (On With the Show Tour)
3/12/17 SN with Pretenders, Austin (24 Karat Gold Tour)
2/9/19 FM, Austin (An Evening With Fleetwood Mac)

Forty years almost to the day since my first Stevie show. She was a seasoned 35-year old when I saw her the first time. This may be the last ever, but I said the same thing in 2017.

I haven't seen her or Fleetwood Mac. The nearest I got was stuffing a burger in my face at the Hard Rock Cafe Orlando at a table with her silver platform boots on the wall at my table prior to seeing Tommy Shaw, Peter Frampton and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Well I never did..
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1322 on: August 22, 2023, 10:28:29 AM »

As announced from the main stage at Cropredy, there's a new folk club opening in Launceston in September, with Kevin Dempsey playing.  I hope to get along to that or following concerts - they are doing them monthly, I think.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1323 on: August 23, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »

Tonight, in Woodinville Washington:

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova!

Love these two
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1324 on: August 28, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »

Just purchased a couple of tickets for Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell's version) celebrating 50 years since Live Dates came out, at St George's Hall, Bristol.  Not many tickets left, and all are restricted view (as are the ones I have got).

Annoyingly, they are playing a lot closer a few days before, on my birthday, in Exeter (which is also cheaper). Only problem is that my nephew gets married the next day, and I have been informed in no uncertain times that we need to be in the Oxford area on that day to make sure we can get my father-in-law to the wedding.

Anyway, it'll be the first time I have seen Wishbone Ash since the Twin Barrels Burning tour, at Guildford Civic Hall in 1982 and I'm rather looking forward to it.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1325 on: August 28, 2023, 05:55:10 PM »

We're seeing them in Gloucester Guildhall, Will, standing venue.  You're in for a treat, the current band is excellent, IMO.  Just booked to see Dr Feelgood at the same venue in November - support is Wreckless Eric.

Flobbadob!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #1326 on: August 29, 2023, 12:15:32 PM »

One of my top ever favorite gigs ever was Wreckless Eric in 1978 at The Greyhound in Croydon, probably promoting his first album on Stiff. I have never seen him since.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1327 on: August 29, 2023, 08:29:04 PM »

One of my top ever favorite gigs ever was Wreckless Eric in 1978 at The Greyhound in Croydon, probably promoting his first album on Stiff. I have never seen him since.
Saw him on the Stiff 78 tour & hand followed him on Facebook since I joined it. I’m a big fan  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1328 on: September 01, 2023, 12:45:14 AM »

Tenacious D (probably) on September 15 at the Circuit of the Americas!

Sting (already booked) on September 17 at the Moody Center.

One of these two will be very funny.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1329 on: September 01, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »

Tenacious D (probably) on September 15 at the Circuit of the Americas!

Sting (already booked) on September 17 at the Moody Center.

One of these two will be very funny.
Both of those on my Bucket List!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1330 on: September 02, 2023, 09:13:55 AM »

Just booked a ticket for "A Celebration of Simon Emmerson" at the Roundhouse, Friday 15th December; Imagined Village, AfroCelts, Working Weeks and guests. Now to book a hotel within staggering distance...

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1331 on: September 04, 2023, 10:00:17 AM »

My next two gigs are both duos in folk clubs - Ken Nicol & Wendy Ross and then Jacqui McShee & Kevin Dempsey ... seen 3 of the 4 musicians before (ie all except relative "newcomer" Wendy), but never in this particular format. Anybody else seen 'em before?

Didn't know Jacqui played with Kevin.  I'd
be interested to know what they play...and whether it includes any Dando Shaft material.  Polly and her voices were often compared (given the disparity in success, usually Polly's with Jacqui's).

They have an album.out together.  Available on Jacquis website.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #1332 on: September 04, 2023, 10:07:37 AM »

Glenn Hughes "Classic Deep Purple Live", Bexhill on Sea, October 13th.

Michael Schenker Band, Wolverhampton, December 1st.

Just realising that it was possibly as a teenager in the late 1970s/80s, that I last went to any sort of "old school" hard rock gig!

Very impressed by recent live footage and very much looking forward to both of these shows!

B&Bs booked, so no stress attemping to catch a late train home as in the old days! Grin

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:37:13 AM by Glen S » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1333 on: September 04, 2023, 10:48:53 AM »

Just realising that it was possibly as a teenager in the late 1970s/80s, that I last went to any sort of "old school" hard rock gig!

Very impressed by recent live footage and very much looking forward to both of these shows!

B&Bs booked, so no stress attemping to catch a late train home as in the old days! Grin

I find it interesting how Glenn seems to make a fair chunk of his living out of his Deep Purple legacy these days.  Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band are all very decent albums but "Classic Deep Purple"?  It's arguably pushing it a little...?  How much of those albums did he actually sing on then - does he sing lead on any of them?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Glen S

« Reply #1334 on: September 04, 2023, 01:15:56 PM »

That's a good point David!

I've always considered the Gillan fronted Mk2 band as the definitive "classic" Purple lineup, although the MK3 work has stood up remarkably well, considering the almost half century that has passed.

Listening to the live recordings from around that time, it seemed Glenn took on a decent share of the vocal duties, which made complete sense having previously fronted Trapeze. I will have to listen again to the studio albums! I guess the Deep Purple connection is always going to be a handy tag to print on the posters! Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1335 on: September 04, 2023, 01:47:22 PM »

I've always considered the Gillan fronted Mk2 band as the definitive "classic" Purple lineup, although the MK3 work has stood up remarkably well, considering the almost half century that has passed.

Listening to the live recordings from around that time, it seemed Glenn took on a decent share of the vocal duties, which made complete sense having previously fronted Trapeze. I will have to listen again to the studio albums! I guess the Deep Purple connection is always going to be a handy tag to print on the posters! Grin

Was he in Trapeze when they did that very early ('69ish) cover of MOTL?

Glen S

« Reply #1336 on: September 04, 2023, 02:05:05 PM »

Was he in Trapeze when they did that very early ('69ish) cover of MOTL?

He was indeed, although I'd not realised until you mentioned it! Smiley

Have just found this on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv8UhtQ56j0
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1337 on: September 04, 2023, 08:09:33 PM »

I find it interesting how Glenn seems to make a fair chunk of his living out of his Deep Purple legacy these days.  Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band are all very decent albums but "Classic Deep Purple"?  It's arguably pushing it a little...?  How much of those albums did he actually sing on then - does he sing lead on any of them?

I think ‘oversings’ would be a more accurate description. Most of the live clips of ‘Burn’ are intolerable.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1338 on: September 04, 2023, 11:02:33 PM »

September 21, at Sam's Burger Joint in San Antonio, Texas (where I saw Martin Barre and Clive Bunker last year), Pat Travers Band!

Pat Travers is a minor guitar hero of mine. He was all over the radio circa 1980-1981, when I was learning guitar. At the time, his band included Pat Thrall on second lead guitar, another excellent player (who subsequently partnered with Glenn Hughes, discussed at length above). Boom Boom, Out Go the Lights, Crash and Burn, and Snortin' Whiskey (and Drinking Cocaine) are the songs I remember. Looking forward to some old school rock/blues guitar.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1339 on: September 06, 2023, 08:33:34 AM »

Tomorrow we're off to the Victoria Hall in Settle to see Kathryn Tickell & The Darkening. It's an old music hall venue so the air conditioning will be a case of opening all the doors and windows. Think it's going to be a hot one but I'm looking forward to it.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: