TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:13:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 82   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming gigs  (Read 363475 times)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1240 on: April 30, 2023, 09:56:02 AM »

Shonen Knife next Tuesday and then Joe Martin on Friday.

Enjoy Joe, I think he's great.

Cheers!  Smiley

I caught his set at the Great British Folk Festival, in 2021, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Be nice to see a full show. Think the new album should be on sale too.

We saw him there, so booked to see him do a local gig last week. He was good, even with a lead guitarist missing due to sickness.

Support was good as well. We had to tell her how to pronounce Havant.

Paul

Out of curiosity, who was the support?

Katy Hurt. American lass with a good voice. It was a standing joke that they only played in places she couldn't pronounce. She said haVANT where as we say HAvant.

Paul

Ah, yes! She's fab. Sings on one of the tracks on Joe's new album. We had Harriet Rose as support. She was terrific too. Fine singer and songs that made familiar tropes sound interesting.

Joe and is band were every bit as good as I remembered them and I heartily recommend the aforementioned new album.

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #1241 on: April 30, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »

The next two Thursdays for us ... firstly The Leylines, totally new to me, for whom my daughter has persuaded us to trek all the way to Half Moon, Putney (which must be haunted by the benevolent spirit of the late great Johnny Jones) and then old favourites Gryphon at Cambridge Junction.
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #1242 on: May 01, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »

Katy Hurt. American lass with a good voice. It was a standing joke that they only played in places she couldn't pronounce. She said haVANT where as we say HAvant.

Paul

She's actually British... https://musomuso.com/introducing/uk-country-superstar-katy-hurt-talentbanq-unfinished-business-tour-festival
So I’m from England, moved to New York when I was really young, spent my early years in Long Island and then we moved back to England when I was about 7 years old and lived in Ascot, Surrey. I had an accent when I first moved back and got teased quite badly for it. I’m a bit like a parrot as the more music I heard, I just picked up the accents and with my family being English, it didn’t take me long to lose my American accent. If I go back to the States or sing, I automatically switch back to an American accent!

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1243 on: May 01, 2023, 04:51:24 PM »

Just announced - Aerosmith, October 2023, at the Moody Center in Austin!

Not sure about this one. I like Aerosmith, and always have. I have only ever seen them once before, about 12 years ago. I like the venue and I'm available that night. Not to mention, they say it is their "Farewell Tour" after 50 years. However, founder drummer Joey Kramer has given up for good, after rotating in and out of the live lineup for many years now.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1244 on: May 02, 2023, 09:38:31 PM »

Paul

She's actually British... https://musomuso.com/introducing/uk-country-superstar-katy-hurt-talentbanq-unfinished-business-tour-festival
So I’m from England, moved to New York when I was really young, spent my early years in Long Island and then we moved back to England when I was about 7 years old and lived in Ascot, Surrey. I had an accent when I first moved back and got teased quite badly for it. I’m a bit like a parrot as the more music I heard, I just picked up the accents and with my family being English, it didn’t take me long to lose my American accent. If I go back to the States or sing, I automatically switch back to an American accent!

Actually, she did mention the tooing and froing. I had forgotten which one she started in. Smiley

Ascot is near where I hail from originally.

Paul

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1245 on: May 05, 2023, 09:35:50 AM »

We're off to the official first night of the Show of Hands & Michael Wood Songs of the People tour next Weds, in Honiton, and looking forward to it.  Just slightly miffed that quite recently they announced a warm-up show the night before in a venue that's a lot closer to home - Honiton is nearly an hour away.  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #1246 on: May 05, 2023, 05:29:36 PM »

Ian McNabb at The Brindley in Runcorn tonight.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1247 on: May 05, 2023, 05:33:09 PM »

Just purchased: Bonnie Raitt at ACL Live October 14, 2023!

This gig conflicts with Mrs. J From A's high school reunion, so I may be letting these tickets go.  Sad

They are selling so quickly that I don't anticipate a problem finding a buyer, if need be. This is a good problem to have; I was unable to unload extra Bonnie tickets a couple of times in the recent past, during a period when her drawing power dipped slightly for some reason. She weathered that, fortunately.
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1248 on: May 05, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »

Just NOT purchased - Aerosmith at the Moody Center in October 2023!

OMG it's so expensive.

I think I'll check for fire sale tickets on the day of the show. I don't even want to pay the ridiculous face value price.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1249 on: May 06, 2023, 09:12:45 AM »

Going to see Stealing Sheep Radiophonic Workshop thing next month.

My first concert this year.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #1250 on: May 06, 2023, 04:14:08 PM »

Believe it or not, both the Leylines gig and the Levellers gig are postponed  Sad  is anyone else finding that there are more postponements these days?

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #1251 on: May 06, 2023, 11:02:32 PM »

Believe it or not, both the Leylines gig and the Levellers gig are postponed  Sad  is anyone else finding that there are more postponements these days?

Don't know about the reasons for these ones, but speaking as someone seriously involved in amatuer music and amdram. We are seeing more and more problems with covid. We nearly had to cancel a concert on Monday because our pianists' girlfriend had covid.

Paul

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1252 on: May 07, 2023, 11:24:58 AM »

Mike & The Mechanics (Refueled) next week at Swansea Arena.

Fingers crossed it isn't terrible.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1253 on: May 07, 2023, 12:30:14 PM »

Leylines postponement is due to a family bereavement, which I would have thought was fully understandable.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
John From Austin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1254 on: May 07, 2023, 10:09:02 PM »

Mr. Rutherford strikes me as a remarkably tasteful musician. I can't imagine it will be anything less than wonderful! Smiley
wayne stote

« Reply #1255 on: May 07, 2023, 11:40:02 PM »

Excellent live band, in my experience. Hope yours will be similar.

Not been to the Arena yet. If the sound matches the way it looks, it should be pristine.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1256 on: May 08, 2023, 09:57:37 AM »

Our last visit to the Arena was marred by sound problems, the M&MR gig is a freebie to compensate us for last time.

BTW, never go in Row Q, no leg room at all because of a screen, I couldn't even put my feet flat on the floor.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
wayne stote

« Reply #1257 on: May 08, 2023, 11:09:03 AM »

Our last visit to the Arena was marred by sound problems, the M&MR gig is a freebie to compensate us for last time.

BTW, never go in Row Q, no leg room at all because of a screen, I couldn't even put my feet flat on the floor.

That's good insider info. Thanks!

It's a shame that they don't have more music on. It seems to be comedy, mostly, which isn't of any interest to me. I suppose that's what sells though.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #1258 on: May 08, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »

Leylines postponement is due to a family bereavement, which I would have thought was fully understandable.

Yes, the Leylines personnel definitely have our sympathies, but the Gryphon postponement is currently a bit of a mystery. Hopefully, they will soon announce a new date for the Cambridge gig and then all will be forgiven.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

« Reply #1259 on: May 09, 2023, 12:30:10 PM »

The Cambridge Junction website says that Gryphon's postponement was due to illness and that a new date will be announced soon.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 82   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: