TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 183261 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2017, 08:22:11 PM »

I think we've agreed on a suitable musicaldescription for them these days back up the thread, which I pretty much agree with.

From a personal point of view, all the comparing to the old band each time there's something new comes along is getting quite tiresome. In this line-up, I think we've agreed they'll not revert to the old style, so simply repeating your comparison/dislike etc is a little pointless? Just repetively saying you prefer the old?...come on, there must be something new to say?
I agree Chris. The band has changed and developed the same as anything that's been around for 50 years - none of us looks/sound/feel the same as we did 50 years ago. I wonder if the band moans about us (the fans) changing the way we moan about them? "Oh you never see the fans dance any more - too busy lowering themselves slowly into a chair and rabbiting about their medication" or "Remember when our fans used to just go out and buy our records and play them before they made judgements on them?"

I jest of course, but you get my drift  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:51 PM »

I am jealous of you all hearing this, still waiting for mine to arrive. I will listen with an open mind, based on all my biases about this band I love.

Since the very first gig of Fairport's I attended and the very first Cropredy I was at people have been complaining in the same way, no good since Richard left, Bruce is not as good as DM, don't even mention the fiddler, not enough guitar, too many keyboards in the Maart era, good to know we will all have something to talk/complain about as we descend into the mists of the ages.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2017, 06:59:59 AM »

good to know we will all have something to talk/complain about as we descend into the mists of the ages.

Absolutely.  Which is why it's preposterous to try and stifle debate and opinion (and imagine that there isn't anything negative to say).  I find it hilarious that people complain about what they see as endless moaning, by endlessly moaning about the endlessly moaning  Smiley  

Fwiw, I will try and be more positive - you forget the position of pure love and fandom for the band that my feelings comes from.  To expect me to just walk away (ho, ho) without a care in the world is unrealistic and insulting. They are what they are...get over it seems to be the message.  Can't do that.  But I do note that there is a feeling I (and others) are being too negative...  I'll work on it.  My counsellor says it will be fine (joking aside, I did talk about this in counselling the other day!).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2017, 09:47:41 AM »

I for o0ne wasn't complaining about the complaining per se, just on those whose main comment/complain is made again & again like an old record.

If the cap fits, at least try & make a new angle on it, rather than a general "not more of the same" comment, of which you are guilty, David, and I don't think you've even bought it to listen to it?

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #264 on: February 06, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »

I for o0ne wasn't complaining about the complaining per se, just on those whose main comment/complain is made again & again like an old record.

If the cap fits, at least try & make a new angle on it, rather than a general "not more of the same" comment, of which you are guilty, David, and I don't think you've even bought it to listen to it?

...but I have and it is the very definition of "more of the same" by virtue of the fact that it recycles so many old songs. I maintain that it is an odd concept and not what one might hope for as a celebration of the 50th anniversary but, of course the anniversary is an illusion. It is more genuinely the 20th anniversary of this band, which is a completely different entity to that which went before and which has its own admirers who also seem different to those who loved the earlier incarnations. Even so, for lovers of the current band, I don't imagine that the new album will be a long term favourite. The new songs are not their best for the most part. I personally tend to cherry pick from the albums by this line up. I can always find some stuff I like, if not the entire albums but it is slim pickings here, though I agree with whoever said that Step By Step is a highlight.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »

Constructive criticism like this I find fine.....but a one-liner without buying/listening to the *whole* album I think is utterly piointless and gets the thread nowhere?

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

good to know we will all have something to talk/complain about as we descend into the mists of the ages.

Absolutely.  Which is why it's preposterous to try and stifle debate and opinion (and imagine that there isn't anything negative to say).  I find it hilarious that people complain about what they see as endless moaning, by endlessly moaning about the endlessly moaning  Smiley  

My point was not to stop but maybe this is how we all have always related to this band. We have a vested interest in the band and therefore always have an opinion.

It would also be less English not to complain and moan about what we are actually liking in some way.

Neil, still waiting for the album so I can join in.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

Why are we so scared of saying 'English' these days?

David we often agree but Sandy brought an Irish influence and Swarb a lot of Scottish influences and tunes.

Can I say ,to others on this thread ,that I feel I have never moaned or complained, I have always tried to give an honest response to things like line up and new albums.
It does annoy me that what I hope is objective criticism is seen as moaning, complaining or not being supportive.
I am searching for reviews of the album.any body come across any?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:14:40 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »

Why are we so scared of saying 'English' these days?

David we often agree but Sandy brought an Irish influence and Swarb a lot of Scottish influences and tunes.

Can I say ,to others on this thread ,that I feel I have never moaned or complained, I have always tried to give an honest response to things like line up and new albums.
It does annoy me that what I hope is objective criticism is seen as moaning, complaining or not being supportive.
I am searching for reviews of the album.any body come across any?

When it's up on Spotify, I'll give a review of it!  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2017, 07:22:28 PM »

Constructive criticism like this I find fine.....but a one-liner without buying/listening to the *whole* album I think is utterly piointless and gets the thread nowhere?

Calm down! Calm down! Is there any need for all this back-biting? I agree that it's good to express an opinion but if you don't like it no-one is forcing you to listen to it...

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »

It is more genuinely the 20th anniversary of this band, which is a completely different entity to that which went before and which has its own admirers who also seem different to those who loved the earlier incarnations.

I got into Fairport relatively late (2003), my first Cropredy as well. I liked folk/rock/reggae/etc etc. My feeling is there have been some superb songs by the current line up, and some amazing work by the previous incarnations. I could easily enjoy a Best Of from the current line up, from any of their last 4 or 5 albums. Similarly there are songs from the previous 20 years I could leave out. They have changed, they do rely too much on Chris for song writing. But, they are not the same band. This is a celebration year for a name rather than anything else. Simon may well be the only original member but his influence was not huge to the song writing in the early days, so he cannot be seen as the guiding light. Dave has held a crumbling history together, often on his own, and for that he deserves all the credit in the world. But its not the same band. Mike and Keef can rightly claim the heritage of the stones because they own it from day one. Fairport, like Yes, are a name that continues, and we love them for it, but its not the same band. The new album goes some way to pulling the pieces together. Its their choice. We must respect them for that!

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

British traditional folk rock...

This from The Byrds third album recorded between January and May 1966.
Nobody could deny that this isn't folk rock, at least 2 years before FC's first album.
https://youtu.be/Fe5V3-sWQeA

I can't look at YouTube at work - does this have a fiddle on it..?  Fez Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

Nobody could deny that this isn't folk rock, at least 2 years before FC's first album.

I can't look at YouTube at work - does this have a fiddle on it..?  Fez Roll Eyes

Mumbles "neither does FC's first album" under his breath.  Which made me check the credits on WWDOOH as well.  Could have sworn blind that had no violin on it either.  But it does.  Played by Martin apparently.  On what?  Anybody near to a copy....?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »

Mumbles "neither does FC's first album" under his breath.  Which made me check the credits on WWDOOH as well.  Could have sworn blind that had no violin on it either.  But it does.  Played by Martin apparently.  On what?  Anybody near to a copy....?

M1 breakdown and Portfolio I do believe  Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »

M1 breakdown and Portfolio I do believe  Cheesy

Thanks, Jude  Smiley

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »

It does have violins on it.

No Left Turn Unstoned
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #276 on: February 08, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »

Too much violins in music today. What is the world coming too!  Wink Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2017, 08:59:03 PM »

Too much violins in music today. What is the world coming too!  Wink Grin

And too much sax...
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #278 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »

Good work, everybody.  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »

Good work, everybody.  Grin

.....and Mandolin.......
..gets coat....
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: