TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 18, 2024, 04:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 183094 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »

I like Al's definition of Twee. Was their Twee folk stuff in the 60's , 70's ?

There definitely was. To me it is that brand of cozy, unthreatening , major chorded, singalong "folk" that was perpetuated by the likes of The Spinners and to some extent The Seekers, that was entirely embraced by our parents and which was the very thing that Liege & Lief was delivering us from. Unfortunately Fairport have repeatedly lapsed into this territory since 1985.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2017, 09:01:30 PM »

The Houghton Weavers were going in the 1970s. Twee as they come. Good lads though: I grew up in the small town that they're from; one of them used to work with my dad, and helped us move house once.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Just getting a wee bit off topic  Undecided

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:36 PM »

Not really Colin. We are talking about some of the material on the new CD, or at least our perception of it.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »

Not really Colin. We are talking about some of the material on the new CD, or at least our perception of it.

Agreed.
Tony Mc

Loc: Funky Fareham

« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »

Are they relying too much on Chris Leslie these days? They used to have a team like Ralph McTell, Steve Tilston etc who regularly wrote a diverse and interesting range of songs. If you stick to one main writer you will get similar songs. Think about Status Quos output over the years. The albums people are referring back to had a very different personnel, RT, Sandy etc. If you like the current style, you'll be fine and well looked after, if you don't, move on.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand.
PJayBe

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »

To me it is that brand of cozy, unthreatening , major chorded, singalong "folk" that was perpetuated by the likes of The Spinners.......

At risk of further derailin this thread, I have to say that without The Spinners, through whom I first heard Matty Groves and enjoyed many concerts, I would probably not have the same love of folk music that I have today.
Tony Mc

« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »

Yes, the Spinners were a very harmonic chatty group who knew what their audience wanted and gave it to them! Didn't change much over the years and remained very popular. Hmmmm.....take note .

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

Are they relying too much on Chris Leslie these days? They used to have a team like Ralph McTell, Steve Tilston etc who regularly wrote a diverse and interesting range of songs. If you stick to one main writer you will get similar songs. Think about Status Quos output over the years. The albums people are referring back to had a very different personnel, RT, Sandy etc. If you like the current style, you'll be fine and well looked after, if you don't, move on.
I think that you've hit the nail on the head, although I think Mercy Bay and a couple of others are standout tracks precisely because they sound a bit different to his other compositions.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »

Frankly, the oomph in the band only returns with RT & DM Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »

Are they relying too much on Chris Leslie these days?

Yes, but not to his enormous strengths.  I often lay awake at night worrying about his poor fiddles sobbing themselves to sleep unloved and unplayed.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

The Houghton Weavers were going in the 1970s. Twee as they come. Good lads though: I grew up in the small town that they're from; one of them used to work with my dad, and helped us move house once.

Did they move to some kind of twee house?  Roll Eyes
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »

A twee bit off topic?  Grin
Tony Mc

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »

Are they relying too much on Chris Leslie these days?

Yes, but not to his enormous strengths.  I often lay awake at night worrying about his poor fiddles sobbing themselves to sleep unloved and unplayed.

I get a bit fed up with the high pitched urgency of mandolin ( or whatever that fiddly instrument is).

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »

Frankly, the oomph in the band only returns with RT & DM Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

...and Maart!! We need Maart!!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
LarWes

Loc: Valbo, Sweden

« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2017, 04:20:03 PM »

Got the cd a few says ago (very fast delivery to Sweden I must say) and at first I did'nt understand the logic or concept of the album, half new recordings and half live recordings. A throwaway or missed opportunity, I thought. But now that i've listened to it four or five times I really like it.  "Eleanor's Dream" is a really strong opener and "Step by Step" grows on you ( a simple but beautiful song). "The Lady of Carlisle" with Jacqui McShee is another keeper. On the negative side "Our Bus Rolls On" and "Summer by the Cherwell" are both syrupy and selfgloryfying (and I didn't like "The Crowd" either). Instrumentally they sound good but the lyrics... The quality control must have been out for lunch. The live recordings are mostly very good (two songs from 70:s, one from the 80:s, one from the 90:s and two recent songs) that cover a part of the bands history. But I could've done without yet another recording of "Portmeiron" (when you've heard it a couple of times it becomes quite boring)
And then there's the fine version of "Jesus on the Mainland" with mr Plant on vocals.  Re the "twee discussion": Maybe two of the 14 tracks fall into that category but the rest definitely not.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #196 on: January 29, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »

Got the cd a few says ago (very fast delivery to Sweden I must say) and at first I did'nt understand the logic or concept of the album, half new recordings and half live recordings. A throwaway or missed opportunity, I thought. But now that i've listened to it four or five times I really like it.  "Eleanor's Dream" is a really strong opener and "Step by Step" grows on you ( a simple but beautiful song). "The Lady of Carlisle" with Jacqui McShee is another keeper. On the negative side "Our Bus Rolls On" and "Summer by the Cherwell" are both syrupy and selfgloryfying (and I didn't like "The Crowd" either). Instrumentally they sound good but the lyrics... The quality control must have been out for lunch. The live recordings are mostly very good (two songs from 70:s, one from the 80:s, one from the 90:s and two recent songs) that cover a part of the bands history. But I could've done without yet another recording of "Portmeiron" (when you've heard it a couple of times it becomes quite boring)
And then there's the fine version of "Jesus on the Mainland" with mr Plant on vocals.  Re the "twee discussion": Maybe two of the 14 tracks fall into that category but the rest definitely not.

Are you Swedish LarWes?  If you are - please excuse the pun - your English is tweemendous.  Lips Sealed

No Left Turn Unstoned
LarWes

Loc: Valbo, Sweden

« Reply #197 on: January 29, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

Are you Swedish LarWes?  If you are - please excuse the pun - your English is tweemendous.  Lips Sealed

Thank you. I can't deny that i am indeed Swedish even though I support Finland when it comes to icehockey and, of course, West Brom in all footballish things...  Smiley
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #198 on: January 29, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

As much as I like it, I do think that Mercy Bay has run its course, for a while at least.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »

Thank you. I can't deny that i am indeed Swedish even though I support Finland when it comes to icehockey and, of course, West Brom in all footballish things...  Smiley

Never has an "of course" raised more questions than it answers...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: