TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 18, 2024, 01:46:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD  (Read 183091 times)
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:07 PM »

I'm quite looking forward to this. I really Like XXXV. so this could be a goodun

Oh thank goodness... at last a positive comment!

then again.......
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

I'm quite looking forward to this. I really Like XXXV. so this could be a goodun

a triumph of hope over experience?

The Dude abides
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

XXXV was around as I came back to music in general after a long break, Its the best of the "modern" albums (IMHO).
I'll give the new one a go, same as I give them all a go.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

Anyone heard it yet?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »

Anyone heard it yet?

Listened to some of the snippets on the website...sounds all right to me especially the Jacque McShee collaboration

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2017, 07:18:35 PM »

Or maybe he was drunk when he wrote it. A triumph of hops over experience.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:26 AM »

Picked up a copy of the cd at the chaps' Celtic Connections gig in Glasgow last night - listened to it on the drive in to work this morning & it cheered that up no end!

No surprises - there's no radical change of direction - there's a few new songs by Chris (& one by PJ Wright in a style not a million miles away from Chris'!) mixed in with some enjoyable live tracks & a couple of pleasant guest appearances.  Those who like & enjoy the band's current incarnation will love it - those who don't ... well you know. Wink

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
billyno1
n3wb

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »

Spot on GS - currently listening to it for the 4th straight run - first being on the drive back home to Dumfries last night! It is excellent and certainly the best of the "late crop" although missing the "anniversary/Cropredy" recordings atmosphere and variety. I do wish they'd add a female singer to do justice to THOSE songs at least - Judy Dyble (for historical reasons), Thea Gilmour (well she lives in Oxon doesn't she?), Jacqui McShee (well she is on the current CD but I feel she belongs else where), Linde Nijland OR my absolute favourite currently Byrony Holden (why-oh-why has she/Tinkerscuss never played in the Borders/Lake District :thinking Kendal Brewery Centre or Penrith Rheggad Centre?). AND to miss out "Who Knows Where The Time Goes?" - guessing THAT shadow is just too big!!
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »

I do wish they'd add a female singer to do justice to THOSE songs at least - Judy Dyble (for historical reasons), Thea Gilmour (well she lives in Oxon doesn't she?), Jacqui McShee (well she is on the current CD but I feel she belongs else where), Linde Nijland OR my absolute favourite currently Byrony Holden (why-oh-why has she/Tinkerscuss never played in the Borders/Lake District :thinking Kendal Brewery Centre or Penrith Rheggad Centre?).

No longer resident in Oxon, she's lived in Nantwich in God's Own County of Cheshire for some time, close on twenty years I would have thought.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »

Spot on GS - currently listening to it for the 4th straight run - first being on the drive back home to Dumfries last night! It is excellent and certainly the best of the "late crop" although missing the "anniversary/Cropredy" recordings atmosphere and variety. I do wish they'd add a female singer to do justice to THOSE songs at least - Judy Dyble (for historical reasons), Thea Gilmour (well she lives in Oxon doesn't she?), Jacqui McShee (well she is on the current CD but I feel she belongs else where), Linde Nijland OR my absolute favourite currently Byrony Holden (why-oh-why has she/Tinkerscuss never played in the Borders/Lake District :thinking Kendal Brewery Centre or Penrith Rheggad Centre?). AND to miss out "Who Knows Where The Time Goes?" - guessing THAT shadow is just too big!!

the rheged centre is the worst venueat which i have ever attended a gig

The Dude abides
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »

the rheged centre is the worst venueat which i have ever attended a gig

Well, I'm absolutely with you on that one. Saw Fairport Acoustic there a few years back (around about the time of Sense of Occasion), and it was dire. Terrible acoustics, and basically it was just a case of watching a band in the middle of a shopping centre.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »

Got my copy of the CD today.

I think its really strong, and not at all twee (as someone rudely posted). As usual brilliantly played. I think it might turn out to be a future favorite for me.

Love the Cropredy song too ( twee?? perhaps but special, I don't get included in the subject matter of too many songs).

Bet I know what they play at 4pm. Make a change from Walk a While or Festival bell (both of which I hope are still in the semi acoustic welcome set).
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »

I think its really strong, and not at all twee (as someone rudely posted).

How is that rude? It is a legitimate perception. Tweeness has been a factor in most of their album releases since the late 80s to a greater or lesser extent imho. It characterises a style of song which is just a bit too saccharine or jaunty either melodically or lyrically, of which there are an increasing hatful in the catalogue.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/twee
Alan Arnold
n3wb

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »

Received my copy today, on first listen really enjoyed it, especially some of the live tracks which are sufficiently different from the studio versions, the only track that feels wrong is John Condon I love this song but this version does not add anything to the one on Myths and Heroes.
JamesM

Loc: Worcester

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2017, 07:17:04 PM »

On a different note: packaging.

Is the inside of the packaging supposed to be completely blank? I only ask as it seems a bit odd. And also some of the gold foil is missing from the lettering on the front.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2017, 11:23:04 PM »

I think its really strong, and not at all twee (as someone rudely posted). As usual brilliantly played. I think it might turn out to be a future favorite for me.

Love the Cropredy song too ( twee?? perhaps but special, I don't get included in the subject matter of too many songs).

Bet I know what they play at 4pm. Make a change from Walk a While or Festival bell (both of which I hope are still in the semi acoustic welcome set).

I see my earlier response to Trev's post has been censored/ deleted when all I did was to, politely, point out the incongruity of his post.
     It would have been nice to get a pm telling ng me what rule I had contravened and I only found out when another member contacted me to inform me what had happened.
     Is not being a great fan of the bands current output such a crime here?
     Had I been nasty then I could understand being censored. Perhaps my remark from a day or two ago about FC's poor websites over the years upset Colin and I am now to be silenced whenever I criticise the band.
      Free speech, done I think, without malice now seems only applies to those who are happy with all things Fairport.

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2017, 12:53:08 AM »

On a different note: packaging.

Is the inside of the packaging supposed to be completely blank? I only ask as it seems a bit odd. And also some of the gold foil is missing from the lettering on the front.
Doesn't sound right. Send some email to the Office.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2017, 07:19:47 AM »

Sorry Trev, you're a mate but I'm confused.
The albums not at all twee but 'the Cropredy song' might be? Huh Wink
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »

Here's my review, after a fair few listens:
The good:
Eleanor's Dream is great song, and a strong start to the record. Nice instrumentation, interesting lyrics.
The live songs are impressive, and reinforces my view that Fairport are predominantly a live band. Nice to have a recent take on Lord Marlborough.
The not so good:
Our bus rolls on and Summer by the Cherwell are exceptionally twee, even the arrangements sound twee (if that is possible). Banal lyrics, not for me, move on. This is disappointing because the last couple of records in songs such as Mercy Bay and Man in the Water showcased just what they can do.
The interweaving of live and recorded songs doesn't work for me. It destroys any flow, and feels like you're listening to a playlist on shuffle.
On balance I enjoy it, but can't help thinking that it lacks the oomph and energy of the latest Steeleye record, who are of a similar vintage. Still, I'm really looking forward to the live shows.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »

On first spin... I quite enjoyed it.  Not the finest modern FC album, but better than some...

Agree with Adam about the flow - I'd have preferred a 2CD set split studio & live.

The live FC tracks - "not the usual suspects" - very enjoyable. Not sure that John Condon is the best they've ever played it - but I guess its inclusion is because of the recording's location, and maybe emotions were thus affected?

Listening again to The Devil's Work - the instrumental section's arrangement (reverb'd lecky guitar etc) reminds me so much of the Albion Band circa Prospect/Rise Up.

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: