TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:10:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Spring Tour 2010  (Read 60862 times)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2010, 12:14:35 AM »

Thanks
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »

On superb form at Hereford tonight, wonderful repartee and a good range of music from across the years. I won't go into too much detail, don't want to spoil it for those who are going soon.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »

It's sounding good.  I'm looking forward to seeing them at Nettlebed on Monday.  Will anyone else be there (from here, I mean - I think the venue s sold out!)?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »

I'm going to the 100 Club and also Sevenoaks tomorrow night where i have to pick my ticket up from the box office.Do these shows start at eight o'clock , anyone please ?

100 Club ticket says doors open 7.30. The website says:

Time: 7:30pm-12midnight.
FAIRPORT CONVENTION ACOUSTIC
The acoustic version of the "Greatest Folk-Rock Band in the World" features the complete line-up but with drum maestro Gerry Conway on percussion rather than the full kit. Expect old and new favourites in this exclusive London performance. No support: first set at 8.30pm.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
SymonC

« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2010, 12:45:37 AM »

Back from a wonderful evening's entertainment at Sevenoaks.

Quite amusing when Simon forgot some of the lyrics to Crazy Man Michael!

Also if anyone wants to know the set list send me a PM!
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

Bognor tonight. We'll be taking Claire's Dad along. If he takes to them the same way he did Show of Hands, they should have a new fan by the end of the evening.
I've followed Fairport since the early 70s and this will be the first time they've appeared within walking distance.

Martin of these pages thinks they have played Bognor before, but I've lived here since 1979 and I've not known them appear here within that time.
Can any of you statisticians confirm?

Anyone else going tonight?

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »

Whilst Fairport Acoustic is not strictly speaking acoustic, there is quite a different feel to the normal fare.  It is more relaxed, more intimate and moves at a gentler pace.  The chaps chat like they were at home entertaining friends and their music reveals a little bit of the other side of their personalities. I think they must vary the chatter from evening to evening because they seemed genuinely amused by some of each other's jokes.

Even though there was less of a sense of a performance last night, the musicianship was second to none.  My own favourites were Spring Song and Frozen Man but in truth there was nothing that did not thrill (well, Rocky Road maybe, but that's my problem not theirs Wink).  Spring Song will always have a special place in my heart as its release coincided with a time in my life when I had just emerged from a dark place and it expresses exactly how I felt at that time.  The Frozen Man is one of my all-time favourites and he went through some deep anguish last night, I can tell you!

I did miss Simon's big guitar: he played the little one throughout and the big one was nowhere to be seen.  I hope it's not poorly again Sad

It was lovely to see JJ and her husband again and to spend the interval chatting to them.  

It was also very fitting that Meet On The Ledge was dedicated to John Smedley (see FC site for an explanation).
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »

Martin of these pages thinks they have played Bognor before, but I've lived here since 1979 and I've not known them appear here within that time.

Yes, we have seen them at Bognor. Reckon it was at that theatre on the seafront. I have sung there myself a couple of times, and also saw the Albion band do a Christmas show where we all had free pints of HSB.

Must have been about 20 years ago. The friends we went with discovered that their dentist was also Peggy's dentist.

Paul

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 09:38:57 AM »

Yes, we have seen them at Bognor. Reckon it was at that theatre on the seafront. I have sung there myself a couple of times, and also saw the Albion band do a Christmas show where we all had free pints of HSB.

Must have been about 20 years ago. The friends we went with discovered that their dentist was also Peggy's dentist.

Paul

I have a distant (and indistinct) memory that they played Bognor on the Farewell Farewell Tour.
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »

Terrific gig at Bognor last night. The theatre was just about full, with a very appreciative audience.
The sound was great apart from a problem with Ric's violin during one song when we couldn't hear him at all (it was, he informed us, the best he'd ever played!!)
Claire's dad thouroughly enjoyed it, and it made his day when Peggy gave him a mention from the stage (thanks to Martin for the introduction to Peggy in the interval).

I won't give too many clues away about the set list, but it was nice to hear my favourite Chris Leslie song again after a long break.

As to the question of whether they had played Bognor before, Peggy couldn't remember, but Simon is pretty sure they did (although as others suggest, he thinks it was probably well over 20 years ago)
Given the success of last night, I hope they won't wait so long before coming again!
Ric also informed us that they will be playing the Chichester Festival Theatre during the 2011 Winter Tour (Feb 8th). That should be a good one as it's an excellent venue. Something to look forward to. Fez

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »

Ric also informed us that they will be playing the Chichester Festival Theatre during the 2011 Winter Tour (Feb 8th). That should be a good one as it's an excellent venue. Something to look forward to. Fez

I wonder if that will replace Worthing?
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2010, 06:10:11 PM »

I wonder if that will replace Worthing?
That was my thought too. This year they played both Worthing and Portsmouth, so I wonder whether they have chosen a larger venue between the two so that they only need to play one show in this area.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2010, 01:05:17 PM »

A good concert last night at Nettlebed too.  It was good to hear a couple of new songs (well one new song, one new tune set).  Simon had a bit of trouble with the words to Crazy Man Michael and also in another song when he opened his mouth to sing and nothing came out!  I haven't seen him playing that small guitar before, but he used it all the way through.  The whole band seemed pretty relaxed and happy.  

It was quite a contrast to the last time I saw them (not their attitude - but the setting!), which was at the Barbican last July.  Nothing could better that experience, but this was good too, showing another side of the band.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »

Simon had a bit of trouble with the words to Crazy Man Michael and also in another song when he opened his mouth to sing and nothing came out!  I haven't seen him playing that small guitar before, but he used it all the way through.

I think it was often used in the eighties ...

Three Drunken Maidens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rERAgBMDNQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=vTf2bwxniL8

Summer Before the War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXobmVCVoSM&playnext_from=TL&videos=Y-mGeculVDA

The Rosehip                                                                                            
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBpjp-kD1g&playnext_from=TL&videos=Wsmmoc0m5b0

After Sevenoaks I had a look through some old programmes to see if I could find out anything about it and came upon this from Simon himself (hope you don't mind this full-scale quoting of your words, Simon).

Winter Tour 1995

Not possible to write about favourite guitars without bringing Rob Armstrong in here somewhere.  I've known him so long now I can't remember meeting him for the first time, and all that time he has been building interesting and original stringed instruments.  If he's ever built two to the same pattern then it's either by mistake or as a commission; he just carries on creating and experimenting.  He's built nearly 600 now but I'm going to tell you about number two hundred and twenty-nine.

Every time you drop into his workshop at Coventry there'll be something new to try, and for a long period about twelve years ago there was always a strange little baroque style steel-strung made of walnut that I would play for the majority of time he was doing the job that I'd brought him before reluctantly putting it back on the rack.  One day, overcome by an excess of bonhomie, [more likely Marston’s Pedigree...Ed] he made me a present of it!

Although it has a tiny body, once you get used to holding it, it has extraordinary fullness of tone and power of projection. I used it a lot in the duo with Swarb and even when really spanked it never “choked up”.

Nowadays I keep it as a high-strung, which is to say it has the same strings on it as would be the “extra” set on a 12-string and when used as a double-track of a regular instrument gives you a highly controllable and clear sounding effect. (There's a little trade secret for you budding folk-rockers out there!)

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »

Simon had a bit of trouble with the words to Crazy Man Michael and also in another song when he opened his mouth to sing and nothing came out!  

Apparently the same thing happened with Red & Gold at Ivybridge .....situation saved by punter with song on mobile phone.

No such problems at Worcester last night, though.  Thoroughly entertaining evening and as Will S has said the chaps seemed really relaxed and happy......have never heard so many dedications at a FAC gig.
Danny Jack and WKWTTG remain in the memory (at the moment) and the fiddle break in Already There was, as usual, brilliant.

S&J
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2010, 11:01:40 AM »

Same set at the 100 club last night as Sevenoaks last week except for no Walk Awhile , possibly due to the late start and what seemed like an extra long interval - not much fun waiting around in a sweaty basement.Good show though..................
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »

I think Walk Awhile might have been a request/dedication at Sevenoaks - John Wood's family (?) who were present - not sure though.
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »

I think Walk Awhile might have been a request/dedication at Sevenoaks - John Wood's family (?) who were present - not sure though.

Walk Awhile played at Bury too Smiley

Cheers
johnnysaint

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »

... and at Rainworth  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »

Thanks.  Talking out of my you-know-what again!  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: