TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97199 times)
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »

Wheehee! Morecambe and the Isle of Man ( for the first time ) later this week for me!!
And my daughter Eilidh is going to the London gig next week. Look after her....she's only 15....

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2011, 08:37:45 AM »

I love the Isle of man am very envious, will you have time to look around?

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Jack Westwood

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »

Hi Zoe, probably just Douglas itself.
Travelling over on Saturday afternoon then back on Monday morning. Looking forwards to it though!!

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »

Wheehee! Morecambe and the Isle of Man ( for the first time ) later this week for me!!
And my daughter Eilidh is going to the London gig next week. Look after her....she's only 15....

I used to live on the Isle of Man. I'd recommend looking at more than Douglas if you possibly can; the capital isn't representative at all. My favourite town is Peel, but that's just me ....

The Gaiety Theatre, if that's where the chaps are playing, is absolutely lovely.
Jack Westwood

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »

Again, much appreciated Peter. Not sure if time allow. By the time the ferry gets in, it'll be dark. Then I suspect that lunch may be high on the agenda for us all on Sunday. Then gig.....who, indeed, knows where it goes?

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »

Excellent in Chichester tonight, and they certainly gave good value.Nearly eleven when we came out.

Babacombe Lee was excellent, and the stuff from the new album sounded very good live. I might have to listen to the CD now. I particularly liked Wild Cape Horn. Danny Jack's reward was good too.

Jamie and Kat did a good job of getting us going, they are both very talented.

Nice to see Bill Claire and Adam.

Paul

FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »

Wish I had been there - apparently tonight was the biggest gig of the tour. We are all so looking forward to seeing the boys here in Margate again. We're 99% sold out already. I'll just have to suffer and read all your reviews till Feb 26th. All looking excellent so far!
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54:36 AM »

Tonight in Chichester, Fairport Convention confirmed why they are one of my "desert island" bands ! Kicking proceedings off, Katriona & Jamie were very good (loved Jamie's percussive guitar when played on his lap), then Babbacombe Lee was performed in its entirety with seriously loving attention to detail, Ric playing bass uke and Chris playing fiddle in the nautical section...

To perform a concept album about The Man They Couldn't Hang and then play a set of mostly new material is to ask a lot from an audience, but the guys pulled it off with gusto, highlights being Danny Jack's Reward, Wouldn't Say No, Darkside Wood, Rui's Guitar and Red Shoes' lovely Celtic Moon. A fine version of WKWTTG, a relatively straight version of Matty G and a well-earned MOTL finished things off.

The guys are in the middle of a purple patch musically, and they seem to be having the time of their lives on this tour, their energy, enthusiasm and quality of musicianship would put many to shame. It would be a shame to miss them on this tour, catch it if you can !
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »

i still have my fantasy of Chris replacing Ric with PJ on guitar

That might be a little unfair to Ric after a mere 25 years in the band!  Wink

Do fantasys have to be fair?
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

A really excellent WKWTTG. Probably the best i have heard Simon sing this , in the 40+times I have heard him sing it.

Can't say we've heard it 40+ times, but it was pretty awesome - Simon's vocals, Peggy's bass and the two fiddles just worked perfectly together......

S&J

I've told myself a million times not to exaggerate but 25 cropredys, other tours and individ gigs from the 70's. I may have included times i heard sandy sing it. 40? but it's close.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »

[/quote]
I've told myself a million times not to exaggerate
[/quote]

Smiley Smiley

S&J
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »

Had a terrific time at Chichester last night. It looked pretty much sold out.
"Babbacombe Lee" was faultless and for me, the decision to devote almost the entire second half to the new album really worked.
The band were on top form throughout but I think a special mention should go to Chris who, due to the material chosen, took on the majority of the vocals.
Good to meet up with Dan,Martin and Paul too!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »

This is a belated report back from the Lincoln gig last week.

Firstly, it looked like a full house to me.  Thoroughly enjoyed the Babbacombe Lee set.   It was such a rare opportunity to hear the completed work live – although audience reaction did seem a little muted.  I think this was as much do to with the “should we clap yet?” anxiety that some seemed to feel.

I wondered what some of our friends less familiar (or completely unfamiliar!) with Babbacombe Lee would make of it – but they seemed to really enjoy this.

Before the gig I must admit to having reservation about the report of a second half comprising mainly new material – but The Boys confidence in The Festival Bell material was completed vindicated!  

It just shows how strong the new album is that many songs already sound like an established part of the repertoire (which I'm sure they'll become!).

Bought a copy of the new album on the strength of the gig – which was one of the freshest FC performances for years!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

These reviews are wonderful.  Cheesy  I am looking forward to the Cardiff gig so much. Bring it on!  Tiara  (Note to self: must give BL a spin soon. It's been a while.)

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »

We saw them at Leamington on sunday at the Assembly Rooms Smiley. Firstly. I would like to say what a wonderful venue, it was so Art deco and beautifully designed. (It even had Tammy Wynette's chrome caravan under the stage). Apparently she had it brought there but then things got built around it and now it can't be moved! Anyroad, I thought BL was performed with a passion that brought a tear to my eye, Chris's vocals were sublime and he gave it his all. The harmonies from them all were the best I have heard in many a year and they all seemed to be having such a great time. Simon's redition of WKWTTG was one of the best I think I've heard from him; it was an emotional evening all round, great to catch up with them and hear "Festival Bell" played live, John Gale on the desk did them real justice. I'm sure you can imagine how we must have felt when a certain song was played, I was very good and never cried once but did need a very large glass of wine afterwards to stop my heart racing Grin. All in all a very surreal experience for both Mark and myself - Wished my mom and dad could have been around, they would have been so chuffed Cry. I'm looking forward to seeing them at Brum Town Hall and going through it all again.

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

Tiara  (Note to self: must give BL a spin soon. It's been a while.)

Good idea - there were a couple of moments from BL I'd forgotten before last night !
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

I'm sure you can imagine how we must have felt when a certain song was played, I was very good and never cried once but did need a very large glass of wine afterwards to stop my heart racing Grin.

Good for you. It's a top song. I saw its FC debut in Tewkesbury and thought Peggy sang it beautifully. I'm looking forward to hearing it again in Chesterfield tomorrow night.
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »

I'm sure you can imagine how we must have felt when a certain song was played, I was very good and never cried once but did need a very large glass of wine afterwards to stop my heart racing Grin.

Good for you. It's a top song. I saw its FC debut in Tewkesbury and thought Peggy sang it beautifully. I'm looking forward to hearing it again in Chesterfield tomorrow night.

Thank you, they really are on fire at the moment and I would say "Go and see them folks" they are what we know and love at their best  Smiley

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Adam W
Hello, where's Gromit?

Loc: Bognor Regis

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »

They were great at Chichester last night, especially Babbacombe Lee, which I'd been listening to a lot for the past couple of weeks.
Nice to catch up with Dan, Martin, and Paul.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »

I wish we didn't have to wait until 1st March.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: