TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:51:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011 - Reviews  (Read 97200 times)
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »

It also suggests confidence in the material - which has to be good.

My exact words on the way back home from Huddersfield!

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

I found a link on Katriona and Jamie's Facebook page to these photos taken at the Huddersfield gig...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=330332&id=692637246

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »

Does anyone know which Kat and Jamie song they perform with the chaps?  I always like that bit...  Smiley

Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »

On Sunday in Huddersfield it was "Hunter Man" from their first CD "Shadows and Half Light" (I think - I just remembered hearing the title of the album in the song!)

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »

I can see that working, it's a wonderful song!

Got to be honest, I'm more excited about this tour than I have been for some time.  The combination of JBL, the new album and Kat and Jamie...  Roll on Margate!

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »

they are really hammering the new stuff in the second half, arnt they

I think it's a brilliant move on their part. That's how they keep from becoming an oldies act. Not sure why, but so many bands steer clear of playing too many new songs for fear (pure speculation on my part) of alienating their audience. Having Cropredy gives them the oldies but goodies outlet and allows them to showcase new material on tour.

Wish they'd comes to the states.  Sad Until then, the dvds will have to do.

Stuart

Stuart, save your cents and make the trip to Cropredy. There's a welcome for you there.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »

This just in from our York correspondent (Rosie) at the break:

"Half-time! Really good support was one of Tiny Tin Lady and friend. Babbacombe Lee was brill even not knowing it. Leaping up and down to let people back into their seats."

And in response to my query about it being well attended our correspondent writes:

"Very full! I'm about a quarter of the way into row J and I can't see an empty seat. Everyone seems to know each other - the York folk scene clearly! Lots of Cropredy shirts."

The enthusaism of youth! Mind you I'm paying for her ticket  Wink

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Stuart

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »

PETER WROTE: Stuart, save your cents and make the trip to Cropredy. There's a welcome for you there.

A trip to England has been on my wish list for quite some time. Exchange rate is killing me. Need to save dollars and not cents to make it happen.  Wink

I do wish that I had discovered Fairport at the time I discovered Lindisfarne (early 2000s). The guy who promoted their tour in the US was also handling Fairport at the time. I would have traveled to a Fairport show in a heartbeat.

Looking back, I am so thankful I was able to see Lindisfarne Acoustic in Cleveland in 2003 (I think that's when it was) as the band called it a day shortly thereafter.

Stuart
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »

Really enjoyed the show at Crosby last night. I'd like to start by saying how good Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts were, and we're now hoping to travel to darkest Bury to see them on their tour in April.
 It was great to hear Babbacombe Lee in its entirity and it made for an interesting first half of the show. Talking to the band afterwards, they all seemed very enthusiastic about having the opportunity to play it live. I thought 'The cell song' was a particular highlight. The new material in the second half sounds pretty strong on first hearing (although I'd probably heard at least half of the songs before at various times), and although it might have been nice to have heard a couple of more familiar songs, the show didn't finish until 10.45 anyway, so I can understand why they didn't play them. All in all, it was a most enjoyable show, and I'm looking forward to the acoustic tour in May in Birkenhead and, in the unlikely event that I can persuade my wife to spend a few nights in a tent, Cropredy. Finally, can I say what thoroughly nice people all of the band are when meeting and greeting after the show.
FionaS

Loc: Margate

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »

So great to hear such wow reviews. Looking forward to the Margate gig soooo much. There are only a few tickets left so if you want to come you should give them a call asap. Some of the remaining tickets will have a slightly restricted view but don't let that put you off. It's a beautiful old atmospheric theatre but with great acoustics, so it won't ruin your experience. These seats are cheaper too (£13.50)!
cloverandzebra.(Giles)

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »

Enjoyed the show at The Beck Theatre in Hayes
Looking forward to catching the London Show at Union Chapel further down the line.
Especially looking forward to seeing  again the Excellent Katriona and Jamie .
How does he DO that!!!
TangledWeb (Ian)
n3wb

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »

The Burnley Mechanics gig last night was excellent, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said about both Fairport and Katriona and Jamie (if you get chance to see them grab it, they were enthralling), we introduced 'a newbie' friend to them and she really enjoyed the evening.
Can't wait for the Bury Met performances for both.

Ian
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »

Great evening at the Assembly in Leamington last night. We thought Tewkesbury was good, but the whole set is much,much tighter afer a weeks work! Brilliant performances all round, Kat and Jamie are a great choice to open, BL just gets better and better and most of the Festival Bell material makes for a strong second half. Special mention for Chris who must have the most incredible memory for lyrics and some sublime bass from Peggy on WKWTTG.

Thanks to Ric for showing us the bass uke - the strings are like bootlaces, amazing piece of kit.

.....and lovely to see Martin Driver again, he must put in as many miles as the chaps themselves!!

S&J
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

So i'm the bloke who still wants early 70's Fairport but that's my problem not theirs.
I was also at Leamington last night, fabulous venue incidentally.
John Lee  was just very very good. The piece occassionally has creaking 70's concept album issues but the quality of playing, harmonies and musicianship was just outstanding. Gerry was simply stunning all night.
Sheena felt she missed some vocals early in JBL. I didn't but maybe knowing the lyrics helps! 2nd half of JBL was very strong. Ric still over elaborates for me occassionally but i am being picky. Chris sang really well , putting real meaning in to the piece.
2nd half , delighted they were showcasing new material, makes them a working band not their own tribute. Pleasant, with 'pop' tinges and enjoyable live but nothing to really make me think that's a killer song or hit me with any power. Folk rock it wasn't.
Peggys bass playing was awesome on Rics piece but i didn't get in to it. People I was with loved it.
Chris played really melodic fiddle. PJ was in the audience and (i still have my fantasy of Chris replacing Ric with PJ on guitar, but that would be  a different band.)
Generally a really good night. best I have seen them play for ages. Bits of JBL will stay with me for a long time. It was folk rock.
A really excellent WKWTTG. Probably the best i have heard Simon sing this , in the 40+times I have heard him sing it.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »

i still have my fantasy of Chris replacing Ric with PJ on guitar

That might be a little unfair to Ric after a mere 25 years in the band!  Wink
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2011, 12:58:52 PM »

A really excellent WKWTTG. Probably the best i have heard Simon sing this , in the 40+times I have heard him sing it.

Can't say we've heard it 40+ times, but it was pretty awesome - Simon's vocals, Peggy's bass and the two fiddles just worked perfectly together......

S&J
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »

So i'm the bloke who still wants early 70's Fairport but that's my problem not theirs.
I was also at Leamington last night, fabulous venue incidentally.
John Lee  was just very very good. The piece occassionally has creaking 70's concept album issues but the quality of playing, harmonies and musicianship was just outstanding. Gerry was simply stunning all night.
Sheena felt she missed some vocals early in JBL. I didn't but maybe knowing the lyrics helps! 2nd half of JBL was very strong. Ric still over elaborates for me occassionally but i am being picky. Chris sang really well , putting real meaning in to the piece.
2nd half , delighted they were showcasing new material, makes them a working band not their own tribute. Pleasant, with 'pop' tinges and enjoyable live but nothing to really make me think that's a killer song or hit me with any power. Folk rock it wasn't.
Peggys bass playing was awesome on Rics piece but i didn't get in to it. People I was with loved it.
Chris played really melodic fiddle. PJ was in the audience and (i still have my fantasy of Chris replacing Ric with PJ on guitar, but that would be  a different band.)
Generally a really good night. best I have seen them play for ages. Bits of JBL will stay with me for a long time. It was folk rock.

Even though I have now missed them (in Llandudno) on this tour and won't make it elsewhere (money issues), I know for a fact that I agree with this review 110%.  I also realise that's a preposterous thing to say (but that's never stopped me before...)

Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »

Was going to post this in the wintour section but its locked.  Just booked tickets for the 18th at Farnham where tey are playing two nights. The night before they are apparently going to have a different second half with songs not currently played on the tour.  Unfortunately I can only go to the one on the 18th.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
katriona

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:31 PM »

Just wanted to say a big thank you for the welcome we've received on the tour, and all the positive comments on here. We're having a whale of a time, we're very honoured to be doing the tour and it's good to know that you're enjoying our music as well as Fairport's!  
Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts

Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »

Just booked tickets for the 18th at Farnham where tey are playing two nights. The night before they are apparently going to have a different second half with songs not currently played on the tour.  Unfortunately I can only go to the one on the 18th.

Fear not: that statement was issued without complete consultation with the band by our very good friend Chris, who runs the gig. It's not a condition of the contract!

If we do a little tinkering with the running order, well, that's our prerogative but we do have a set list, a plan for the evening's music, and as it doesn't seem to be broken, why fix it?

Look forward to seeing you and all of our friends.

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: