TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:32:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peggy leaving Accoustic Convention  (Read 7546 times)
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« on: May 03, 2006, 06:33:38 PM »

Have I missed a thread on this, or is no one else as sad as me? Sad
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:14:49 PM »

Well at least it makes things a bit more clear rather than this previous "guess the line up" period.
I think you should see FC Acoustic very much as a side thing however nice it can be.
FC 'proper' has Peggy. That's clear enough.
I mean, it's not as if he has left Fairport. He left a side project. Enabling him to start up another side project, with PJ. Good for him!
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »

There's two ways of looking at it really, and I can see bits of both arguments.

Firstly that it's disappointing not to have Peggy there, perhaps especially for some who have came to Fairport via Tull...largely because of Peggy's presence.

But alternatively, and I think I'm more in this camp, it allows Fairport Acoustic to revert to what it was originally - something quite different to the band proper. I was listening to the superb 'Acoustically Down Under' CD over the weekend - if you haven't already got a copy, get on to Talking Elephant and order one ASAP! - and over nearly 80 minutes of absolutely magical music, was reminded just how different the acoustic line-up was. A totally different setlist to the electric band's set, and very different arrangements for the numbers common to both sets.

Unfortunately, after Chris joined the band - for reasons of rehearsal time, perhaps a degree of complacency - the acoustic line-up became more or less a drummerless version of the band, with a very similar set & arrangements. But the emergency trio, and then the more permanent trio + Gerry gigs have been an absolute revelation. You now know that if you go to see FAC, you're going to get something completely different, and surely that's got to be a good thing?

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »

Thank you both for that, I only managed to catch the full line-up last year, so I'm looking forward to a treat...
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing the trio when they come 'round here again.

Odd there wasn't a more formal announcement, but who cares? I have seen the band many times and I have never been less than delighted with the shows; I am sure this summer will be no excpetion!
musiclover
Reporting from the colonies

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:13 AM »

I was VERY disappointed to hear this news.  Cry

I had hoped Peggy would be with Fairport, this year, when they hit the states.  Roll Eyes

I anticipated seeing the complete band last year at Sellersville, Pa. and really did enjoy the trio of Simon, Ric and Chris, but had hoped to hear some fantantic bass runs from Peggy's guitar this year. I think he is one of the best bass players I have ever heard.

Oh well, perhaps, one day I'll make that trip across thewater and see the complete band at Cropredy.

Across the evening sky--all the birds are leaving.
How do they know--when it's time for them to go?
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:33:16 PM »

This came up on the Fairport Mailing List, and seems relevent to this thread:

To be brief (and diplomatic), Art ... (my view of what has occurred) :

Last year during the May-June US concert tour, a dispute was played out just as the band was preparing to go onstage at Allentown PA, in front of the entire assembled audience (I was there). Pegg was unfortunately the visible instigator of the kerfuffle, Chris refused to play with him under the circumstances, Pegg walked out. Ric & Simon gamely took to
the stage and did a fine improvised set.

Pegg did not complete the tour with the band, and the 3-person FAC was born. It appears that the dispute continued to have an impact once they were back in the UK in plans for the band's fall dates, and Pegg did not play in the lineup for the most part, tho he performed with the band at Crops. I understand that the American tour management is reluctant to see Pegg back on US dates he books, at least for the time being.

There was extensive discussion and speculation about all this on the list last spring, into the summer and thru the fall. It is a matter for the band to settle, not us. Nonetheless, all want the 'crisis' to be resolved - especially those of us in N.America denied the full line-up in the overseas concerts. I too remarked, upon seeing Dave's letter, that it appeared to give what we thought was a temporary situation somewhat more formality and permanence.

But there you are: as fans we can only hope for our own best interests being met, but ultimately it is the internal dynamic of the band that determines the outcome. I enjoy the repertoire as done by the FAC lineup, but now go to Crops to get my real Faiport Fix! :-)

Barbara Stewart

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 08:43:01 PM »

And here was me thinking he'd made the 'no fly' list  Roll Eyes

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 08:52:29 PM »

well, thats been public knowledge since it happened
it was all over these pages

The Dude abides
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »

well, thats been public knowledge since it happened it was all over these pages

But that could well be the reference document. It explains what happened and seems to be accurate. It is history, but seems to have been 'officially' glossed over.

Personally I think that it clears up a load of speculation, but now let's move on.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: