TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:12:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy camping charges  (Read 32764 times)
Finovski
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Jude .

I think part of the problem lies in the confusion over whether this is actually a camping or vehicle charge, reading through the responses there seems to be quite a split, with someone even stating that the newsletter regards it is a camping charge. I just think this is a bit baffling if you can then wander or bike in with your tent without having to pay. You'll soon be getting people responding by saying "it's yet another tax on car drivers" and quite amusingly that could be quite difficult to counter.

Like Bob the Cod I've been attending for 20 years and I will continue to go regardless, I also agree that all things considered it is a very reasonably priced event, and even allowing for last years last years unfortuante incidents with stealing it has very probably been the friendliest and safest event to attend of any of our summer festivals, and long may this continue to be the case.
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2006, 11:23:12 AM »

It's definitely a vehicle charge, Finovski. It is a bit of a misnomer though really as, rather than being a camping charge, it's really a "parking your car/van beside your tent" charge.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Billy the fish (Rob)

Loc: Rothwell - Northants

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006, 11:44:47 AM »

I understand and appreciate your comments regarding the costs to the Landowners Pete as my family are farmers themselves, but i do think that these issues have been included in the overall ticket price over the years. 
FC have had a pretty good association with the village and landowners over the years and have gone some way to enhancing Cropredy's village life, probably most obviously helping with the superb cricket pavilion, which, for a small village is really very good.
As has been stated before in the newsletter, the camping charge is to enable an increase in nightime security.  One would hope that the small increases in the ticket prices each year which i don't think anybody has issues with, as costs will always continue to rise, would cover these problems.

Did anybody else see that?
Billy the fish (Rob)

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006, 11:47:49 AM »

Ooh Finovski

potentially "another tax on car drivers". Possible "cannus wormicus" there old bean

Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »

Any of you lot actually go camping apart from croppers? I do, and up on the North York Moors or Scarborough in August its around £15 per night to pitch your tent. So cropredy is pretty cheap in comparison!!! Grin Grin

From Rob

We do - Buxton at May Bank Holiday, for example, £14.50 per tent per night, and the site is almost sold out!

Okay, you don't have to share facilities with 15,000 people, and the showers are included in the price, but I think £25 for three nights at Cropredy isn't too bad all things considered.

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Finovski
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 01:08:27 PM »

Ooh Finovski

potentially "another tax on car drivers". Possible "cannus wormicus" there old bean

When you look at it, it's a bit harsh on car drivers, especially as many of those attending will have families and be travelling from all over the country and have no alternative other than to travel by car! Just as a comparison Towersey which I am also off to is £14 per adult to camp and that's for 5 days so in truth it has still cost me and Loz £28 but it runs longer and I believe that unicyclists, naked ramblers, and the much put upon motorist will all have this charge levied on them equally.

Billy the fish (Rob)

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 01:17:14 PM »

Do you reckon that naked rambling unicyclists would have to pay double as they fall into two categories?

Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »

When you look at it, it's a bit harsh on car drivers, especially as many of those attending will have families and be travelling from all over the country and have no alternative other than to travel by car! Just as a comparison Towersey which I am also off to is £14 per adult to camp and that's for 5 days so in truth it has still cost me and Loz £28 but it runs longer and I believe that unicyclists, naked ramblers, and the much put upon motorist will all have this charge levied on them equally.

I'm not sure, lots of us (myself included) go down on the train, even from up here in the North East. Obviously you've your stuff to carry - though it stops you taking everything but the kitchen sink like some seem to - but other than that it's not that much extra effort. Especially as once you're there it's more trouble than it's worth to try get your car out and drive into Banbury or wherever.

So it's very much an optional thing to take the car, and I would assume it'd be unfair to charge car users & non car users equally as a car takes up much more room on the campsites. Probably it's also easier to check cars for camping tickets, rather than tents.

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »

Also, there's one single charge for a car, no matter how many tents accompany it, and the pedestrian/biker wouldbe charged  per tent.
mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Finovski
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 01:33:59 PM »

I would assume it'd be unfair to charge car users & non car users equally as a car takes up much more room on the campsites.

Unless you have a motorcycle and sidecar of course.

I'm not sure, lots of us (myself included) go down on the train, even from up here in the North East. Obviously you've your stuff to carry - though it stops you taking everything but the kitchen sink like some seem to - but other than that it's not that much extra effort

Some people that I know whilst not quite fitting their kitchen sink into the back of the car do take a full set of optics, complete with impressive range of spirits and a range of beers and lagers that Oddbins would be proud of.

Billy the fish (Rob)

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 02:18:10 PM »

One hopes Finovski, that you would'nt be referring to The fishmeister would you?  However, on that subject the range will be massively extended this year by several home-made fruit vodkas,  one of the many reasons one has to bring a car.

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

Probably it's also easier to check cars for camping tickets, rather than tents.

I think that's got a lot to do with it. Keep it simple... Plus there's the issue of marshalling cars in and out of the site - not an easy exercise and one that I'd imagine is quite expensive to manage.

A fee for cars will act as a deterent or disincentive for some. It may be that the charge is as much to reduce the numbers of cars descending on the poor village as it is to cover costs of running the camping.

We've seen as much at Beautiful Days. Last year the roads around the site were clogged for hours on the Friday, for locals and through traffic as well as for festival goers. This year there's a more hefty fee for bringing in vehicles at that festival too and I've no doubt that it's partly to deter people to alleviate the traffic problem.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 05:12:38 PM »

I don't think the charge is excessive - although I can understand the gripes given the tercentage increase on previous years.

we camp around Ireland quite a bit & the average charge is around £15 per night at the more popular sites - so £25 for 3 nights ain't bad..

I've always  found the sites at Cropredy to be well run & looked after. it's handy having your vehicle next to the tent instead of miles away at the car park. It also helps as a sort of vehicular safe for locking up belongings when away from the tent.

i do hope that last year's light fingered chaps ( or ladies - must remember equality of esteem ) aren't going to be a regular occurrence - hopefully the increased funding from the camping charges will allow for increased security.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 05:47:04 PM »

We will have two small cars and one tent, but to me its still worth it.  How ever my brother has bought a bigger car and we may all squeeze in, but we might have to leave the beer behind, so it will still be two cars, and possibly more stuff Roll Eyes

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 12:13:38 AM »

I really do think that 25 quid is getting very steep for camping. especially as there is only ever two of us in that car/tent when we come. I think for 3 nights 15 pounds ought to be the fee for camping. The ticket prices have also risen quite drasically over the last few years too. All in all it really makes me think twice about booking & we actually missed last year due to the price increases.

If we decide to go this year I think I'll be looking into ways of getting there using public transport rather than my own car, as 25 pounds is theft out of my wallet when we've already paid a ticket price for the event.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 12:22:12 AM »

Y'know, I'm just sitting here wondering how much I'd charge someone to park their car on my front garden for three days........I'm going to have to have a further think.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »

When you get right down to it, nobody actually forces anyone to go to this or any other festival, I guess what it comes down to in the end is whether you think the festival is worth the cost!

I do Smiley

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 12:31:45 AM »

Lets not forget that the festival was saved a couple of years ago by the current fab four. They had to start from scratch with no reserves and would have had to bear any losses themselves. As has been quoted before, the first time it makes a loss will be the last time it happens. Do we want this ? Would you take the risk? I am confident that we will not be ripped off. Can this be the last of it?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 12:42:35 AM »

I am confident that we will not be ripped off. Can this be the last of it?

Well said Sir! By the way, I reckon 25 quid is about right to park on my garden for 3 days. Especially with a tent next to it.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 01:17:48 AM »

The difference is its not a front lawn but an uneven field full of cow patts

OK the charge for the festival itself is still worth it, especially as its Fairport I'm going to see, everything else is a bonus.

But I'd balk at 25 quid. If there was a voucher for a free breakfast included. Mug of tea or coffee & a sausage & egg bap, then It'd soften the blow to my wallet.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: