TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:06:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Virgin  (Read 33405 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 12:29:22 PM »

i recommend a walk down the lane to the school for breakfast in a bun and lots of tea, and very good value too.
(and i'm with puggz on the sausage thing)

it'll be fine.......
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2006, 04:35:20 PM »

Cropredy without sausages would be like - well, the bar without any beer - unthinkable !!

Although I did bring someone along last year who I believed to be a dedicated carnivore - and he gorged on goat's cheese pasties which he raved about...............I did also note that the old English custom of a beer and a curry - which I believe dates back to Medieavaltimes - is alive and well in the main field, especially after about 9pm.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Bryn
n3wb

Loc: Isle of Man

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2006, 10:22:21 PM »

So lots of friendly, helpful people to meet. Lots of very interesting yummies to eat. Lots of beers to sample and of course to quench the thirst. So when do I find time to listen to some music Huh
All sounds like a great weekend.......Roll on August.

Cheers..Bryn  Cool
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 03:09:19 AM »

You listen to the music while doing everything else, only concentrating on it for your favourites or for things which grab your attention. And they will.

Indeed, it is hard to escape it. A local told me the the day after that the Dylan Project were audible three miles away. The sound system is "adequate" as Rolls Royce used to say.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 07:37:59 AM »

can a mod alter the title of this to correct the seplilng?

Edit: Done!

The Dude abides
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »

So lots of friendly, helpful people to meet. Lots of very interesting yummies to eat. Lots of beers to sample and of course to quench the thirst. So when do I find time to listen to some music Huh
All sounds like a great weekend.......Roll on August.

Cheers..Bryn  Cool

one of the great things about crop is that it ISNT huge and rambling, ie there is only one stage and everything is laid out in a 'circle' in front of/around it, so you cant actually miss anything unless you go off site or back to your tent.
i think most people set their stuff out on their spot in the field and stay there for the duration, just getting up to eat/drink/shop/ ablute! (delete as neccessary)
its also good because you dont have to choose between different stages and which band you want to forfeit seeing in favour of another.
i had to choose between lenny kravitz and the orb one year - chose lenny and was disappointed so went and caught the end of the orb whon were excellent and wished i'd seen it all!

it'll be fine.......
Billy the fish (Rob)

Loc: Rothwell - Northants

Half Man Half Fishcuit

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 04:11:28 PM »

Hi Bryn

Another newbie.  The easiest place to buy a fez would probably be Saracens rugby union website, i think they are a fiver each.  Hope that helps.  See Saracens.com

Did anybody else see that?
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 01:54:34 AM »

try IM-ing adrian, he has a loverly fez!

it'll be fine.......
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 07:28:22 AM »

I bought it from Colin, who arranged a bulk purchase way back when.

Maybe its time for Fezs, Tiaras and flashing things to be on sale again, to keep the tradition going.

Can anybody remember why we chose a Fez as our male headgear? Just because it is fairly unique or some deeper reason?

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 10:02:44 AM »

Can anybody remember why we chose a Fez as our male headgear? Just because it is fairly unique or some deeper reason?

I think we wanted something which was easy to spot in a crowd of 15,000 people and someone eventually suggested a Fez. there were other suggestions which I can't remember now.

The ladies, quite rightly, complained that wearing a Fez would spoil the expensive hairdos they all had had done for Cropredy so alternatives were suggested and a Tiara was finally decided on.  Cool  Grin

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »

Err, because it's a Fez-tival  Huh  I'll get me coat...

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

I think we wanted something which was easy to spot in a crowd of 15,000 people and someone eventually suggested a Fez. there were other suggestions which I can't remember now.

The ladies, quite rightly, complained that wearing a Fez would spoil the expensive hairdos they all had had done for Cropredy so alternatives were suggested and a Tiara was finally decided on.

I could be wrong... someone will say so.   I think it might have been our Ces that suggested the Fez (someone asked just recently and there was an answer, but I can't find it to link to)
As for ruining hair do's.... a look in Andy Leslie's photo album from last years Cropredy will show why a Tiara is kinder than a hat!!! Shocked (that pic still comes up if you put Cropredy into Google images... eat yer heart out Ena Sharples, you'll know it when you see it)

I shall be sporting a new Tiara this year, and will, of course be accompanied by burly guards at all times Grin Grin Wink Wink
mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »

The Frog came up with the original idea. We were just trying to think of something distinctive.

It then proved surprisingly difficult to find them. You can get very cheap cardboard/plastic ones, or very expensive proper ones. In the end I did a bulk order from a company in the States. They were about £12 each and have proved to be of excellent quality.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »

I can testify to their durability. Mine should still be fine come August. The only problem is I have no idea where it is in the house  Angry

At least I have 4 months to find it   Cheesy

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 12:56:10 PM »

Err, because it's a Fez-tival  Huh  I'll get me coat...

Because it's not often (enough, in my view) that blokes get to wear something with a tassle?  Roll Eyes Cool Roll Eyes

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 09:15:19 PM »

In the end I did a bulk order from a company in the States.

Any recommendatoins for where those of us who weren't around then can get a decent one at a decent price anyone?

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Bryn
n3wb

Loc: Isle of Man

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »

Putting on my old detective hat on now. Could it be that the fez and tiara were chosen because the last 2 icons/smilies shown above are of a cool dude with sunglasses and fez  Fez  and a smiling lady with a tiara  Tiara Huh??

Bryn..... (just call me Barrat Holmes)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »

Putting on my old detective hat on now. Could it be that the fez and tiara were chosen because the last 2 icons/smilies shown above are of a cool dude with sunglasses and fez  Fez  and a smiling lady with a tiara  Tiara Huh??

Bryn..... (just call me Barrat Holmes)

Sorry but they came later Bryn. Thanks to Nick if memory serves me right.

Happy mainly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 05:23:09 PM »

its a secret known only to the few of us who have been here since the start
shrouded in mystery and lost in time and space
but if any one wants to send me some money for beer................................................. Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 05:33:22 PM »

its a secret known only to the few of us who have been here since the start
shrouded in mystery and lost in time and space
but if any one wants to send me some money for beer................................................. Roll Eyes

Jim, are you allowed to hustle strangers new Boardsters for beer-money-in-exchange-for-dark-and-mysterious-secrets since your ASBO?  Grin Grin

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: