TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:55:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Angel Delight: "less than the sum of its parts"  (Read 42264 times)
red max

« on: March 30, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »

The album was described thus in the Fairport unConventionNal booklet, and it's not the first time it's been damned with faint praise, which I find puzzling. The task of following Liege & Lief and Full House was immense, and any album is going to suffer in comparison to that pair, but for me Angel Delight is superb and doesn't seem to get the plaudits it deserves. I'd be interested to know what people here think
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 11:21:32 AM »

I really like this album for it's rustic charm whilst still displaying virtuosity and memorable congs. Maybe it;s not as polished as L&L, nor as "low down and folky" as Full House, but it stands on its own, particularly for Wizard of the Worldly Game, Journeyman's Grace and Banks of the Sweet Primroses (harmonies to rival Steeleye Span at that time) and one of the best instrumentals Fairport has ever recorded (Bridge Over the River Ash).

But I suppose as a complete work it could be fairly described as "bitty in parts" - some songs, such as Sickness and Disease, may be a bit trivial for some

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 11:28:47 AM »

I think it is one of their best and has some of my favourite fairport songs on it. I love Wizard of the Worldly Game Bonnie Black Hare and Angel Delight itsself. There is some fantastic playing on the album from Simon who apparently had only just taken up electric properly after Richards departure. The harmonies are tight. Yes its following a formula to a certain extent but what a formula to follow and it did well in the UK album chart at the time entering the top ten I believe.
 Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:30:03 AM »

It's one of my fave early FC albums..

.. who can forget 'Bonny Black Hare'??

Think I'll play it next, it's time it was on my ipod too Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
red max

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:58:27 PM »

it did well in the UK album chart at the time entering the top ten I believe.
 Grin

I was going to mention that; it was their highest-charting release, but often albums sell on the strength of their predecessors. It's arguable that Angel Delight benefitted from the quality and popularity of L&L and FH. The fact that Babbacombe Lee failed to chart at all could mean that a lot of the people who'd sent AD so high in the charts didn't feel motivated to go out and buy the next one
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »

They promoted the album on 'Top of the Pops'!!! Shocked Honest!  Around that time TOTP had an album section where 'prog' bands played tracks from forhtcoming albums (I think The Strawbs and The Groundhogs also appeared)...how did they fit them in in a 30minute format???   I was but a wee nipper but I saw Fairport...I was saving my pennies to buy an LP (remember those?! Roll Eyes and it was a toss up between 'Angel' and The Groundhogs 'Split' (The Hogs won out even though I hadn't caught them on TOTP but I'd heard them on Peel whilst eating Blackjacks and those other fruity sweets I can't remeber the name of....oh my Gawd and I'm having a nostalgia fit at work!!!!Can't concentrate!!! Shocked Help!! Kiss
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »

I really like Angel Delight too.  The one track which has aged for me is the title track - it is fun hearing it a few times, but not every time.  Apart from that, there's some great songs which would benefit from the occasional live outing - how about 'Wizard...' or 'Lord Marlborough' at Cropredy this year?

Will

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »

Blackjacks and Frut Salads... yumyumtoothrotyum!!

I'd love them to resurrect Bonny Black Hare... especially as they play our gig on Bonny Black Hare Day!!!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 05:58:24 PM »

i love angel delight because its where i came in on fairport
it was the first fairport lp i bought although i had a passing acquaintance with them from pel and stewart the scots dj

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:35:20 PM »

I've always preferred Instant Whip. Grin

Seriously, not one of my faves.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

I really like Angel Delight too.  The one track which has aged for me is the title track - it is fun hearing it a few times, but not every time.  Apart from that, there's some great songs which would benefit from the occasional live outing - how about 'Wizard...' or 'Lord Marlborough' at Cropredy this year?

Will
"Angel Delight" has always been a favourite of mine, an old friend liked by not too many of us, when some FC fans had started to abandon the band. Apart from "Banks of Sweet Primroses" which is my personal "trad.arr.-post-Sandy-and Richard" track, I´ve always enjoyed "Sir William Gower" especially since it´s Simon´s first lead vocal on a whole song. From there on he has just improved as a vocalist to being such a good singer as he is today. But as far as I remember, that is his debut! To me "Angel Delight" is a very enjoyable album with no low points, or in sports terms: " a high lowest level" as we say in Swedish. But I´ve always wondered about the cemetery photos.
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 08:42:43 PM »

All Fairport albums are ace. Some are just better than others.
Hoarse cries of creep!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 09:05:49 PM »

Ahem. Sir, I bring "Gottle O' Geer" to your attention. 2 good tracks (perhaps) but the rest are less than perfect.

Better than I can do, no doubt about it.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

creep

The Dude abides
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 09:27:57 PM »

Ahem. Sir, I bring "Gottle O' Geer" to your attention. 2 good tracks (perhaps) but the rest are less than perfect.

(Actually, I've rather come to like Gottle in recent times)

I'll see your Gottle O' Geer and raise you and XXXV with the worst thing they've ever released - yes, I mean "The Crowd".

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »

pretty well 80 percent of the stuff released since 85 doesnt do it for me and like barry the crowd is at the top ,or should it be the bottom of that pile
ive said it before and ill say it again now, an outside producer with a mind for quality control is needed
 they are not their own best friends when it comes to picking songs

The Dude abides
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »

pretty well 80 percent of the stuff released since 85 doesnt do it for me and like barry the crowd is at the top ,or should it be the bottom of that pile
ive said it before and ill say it again now, an outside producer with a mind for quality control is needed
 they are not their own best friends when it comes to picking songs

I go to gigs when there's a new album.  This year I had to choose between RT and FC at Cambridge and chose RT.  I buy their albums from time to time, but the FC albums I play most are still the ones with Sandy.  The most sublime voice in British music ever.

Sorry.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:46 AM »

A couple of years ago, ITV used parts of the Track "Angel Delight" in the trailers for the last series of "Cold Feet" (Except for the last episode - they used an abridged version of "End of a Holiday".  In fact around that time ITV used quite a lot of Fairport in trailers - There was a programme about Undertakers where they used "Bankruptured".  Never quite found out why, but they stopped after a while.)

I also remember the verse where Peggy's Diet is being discussed mentioned in Viz of all places!

As for the album itself, IMHO it's just as good musically as Babbacombe Lee.  Excellent version of Lord Marlborough, Sir William Gower is a belter too, and Sickness and Diseases.  Sod it, the whole albums very good!!!!

It certainly does seem to be a bit of a team effort!  Swarb and Peggy seem to be starting to contribute more and more vocally - something that really came to fruition on Babbacombe. 

Don't mind Gottle - And I agree with the comments about "The Crowd" wholeheartedly! 

However, I was most disappointed when I found the hidden track on OTNH - Surely not a FC performing a cover of a Chas 'n Dave song*

Neil

*A Joke - ie tongue in cheek - not to be taken seriously

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
iPat

Loc: Valdosta, Georgia USA

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 12:43:30 AM »

I think "Sir William Gower" is the most wonderfully creepy trad song arrangements FC have ever done: I'd love to hear the deep-voiced Simon do it now with the current group....
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 01:03:57 AM »

I have never understood why people don't like this album. It is one of my favorites. Almost all the songs are great. Lord Marlborough is my favorite FC track. It has great vocals. It is a solid album.

ps  Does anyone know of any live versions of Lord Marlborough or when it was played live?

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: